Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Play witcher 2 and then buy a controller and play DS

Quote Originally Posted by Buxton McGraff View Post
    Dark Souls is impossible unless you have a controller.
    Not impossible, just annoying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Unless you use external mods for the controls dark souls is a hard game that you handicap yourself in further by playing with KB/M combo, not impossible but way harder than it needs to be.
    Then get a freaking controller? Fuck guys, you make it sound like it's just impossible to do. I've had a wired XBox controller for years now, and I occasionally use it on other games on my PC. When Dark Souls came out on the PC, I didn't even TRY the keyboard/mouse, because I got used to playing it with the controller on the PS3. Spend the $20-$30 to get a controller, and then you will never have to complain about any other game's control scheme when you have the option of using a controller again. Really freaking simple, huh?

There are several PC games I play with the controller. Dungeon Siege 3, Castlevania, Dark Souls, just to name the most recent few. While I definitely prefer a KB/Mouse over a controller any day (PC Master race, woot), the controller just works better in some games. Dark Souls happens to be one of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Deleted
    Dark Souls can be frustrating to play without a console controller so I suggest you buy one before playing it, it is a great game.

Doesn't really matter which one you play first does it? They are both some of the greatest games.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    I wasn't a big fan of The Witcher 2.

To me, Dark Souls goes beyond most games and is more than just another RPG. It is more atmospheric, more immersive, more intense and more fun than any other RPG on the market. It transcends being just a video game, and for me it was more of an "experience" than a game... and one that I'll never forget, at that.
    You disliking witcher 2 largely invalidates any opinion you might have about rpgs.

Use a controller for Dark Souls, go slow and become one with your weapon and the armor you choose to wear and you will Neo the whole game.

15+ Year Old Account
    Immensely enjoyed Witcher 2, currently enjoying Dark Souls.

Having never played Witcher 1, I was still engrossed by the Witcher 2 story. Played through the game twice, once on normal and once on dark, and did both storylines and all sidequests. Good combat with some depth, great story and level design.

I'm currently playing through Dark Souls and loving it. Steep learning curve, but so satisfying once you learn. Veeeery good combat with extreme depth, and a great sense of exploration. Very obscured story, and not a real factor in the game.

Like many others have said, you're a winner no matter what you play. Although due to your time, I'd do the Witcher right now, so you can do quests and whatnot and still feel like you're progressing, whereas I've spent days doing the same thing over and over in Dark Souls bashing my head in (although that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it).
    "We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us." - Andrew Ryan

10+ Year Old Account
    They're both very good games, but I would say Dark Souls. The PC port is bad but there's a lot of mods that help fix it, especially DSFix. Also if you go to Dark Souls nexus there's a bunch of other great mods including several graphics mods that make it look great. Also like other people said, use a controller. Mouse and keyboard is actually terrible for this game, but if you don't have one or are set on using a mouse and keyboard, get DSMFix.

Deleted
    dark souls as its the better game by far imo.. use a controller though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dark Souls, easily. There are a lot of really good mods out there that 'fix' the clunky controls and make it prettier. You could also just plug in your PS3 controller. It is one of my favorite games.

The Witcher 2 just didn't appeal to me. I won't get too deep into the subject, as I've exhausted it many times, but I find Dark Souls to be a much more enjoyable game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Then get a freaking controller? Fuck guys, you make it sound like it's just impossible to do. I've had a wired XBox controller for years now, and I occasionally use it on other games on my PC. When Dark Souls came out on the PC, I didn't even TRY the keyboard/mouse, because I got used to playing it with the controller on the PS3. Spend the $20-$30 to get a controller, and then you will never have to complain about any other game's control scheme when you have the option of using a controller again. Really freaking simple, huh?

There are several PC games I play with the controller. Dungeon Siege 3, Castlevania, Dark Souls, just to name the most recent few. While I definitely prefer a KB/Mouse over a controller any day (PC Master race, woot), the controller just works better in some games. Dark Souls happens to be one of them.
    Yeah it's not like it's the fucking job of the guys making a port to make it work the way a pc works right?! where's jim sterling when you need him.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post

I have a gamepad but that is beside the point.

As a software developer its your job to make sure your product works well with the intended platforms standard I/O devices, the customer being able to buy a gamepad do not excuse this. If you can't handle adopting to a platform you are porting it to, don't do it at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    The best two games that come to mind from this decade atleast. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!
    And as the others here have stated: Dark Souls is ALOT more enjoyable with a controller.

Deleted
    Oh boy, you're in for a treat. Those very games are the best RPGs I've played in a long while (along with Dragon Age 1).

The Witcher 2 - I'd definitely go through the first game. I wasn't as impressed by it, but the overall story arc of the sequel starts there, and while you can read the synopsis on a wiki or something, actually experiencing the story is something else entirely. Beware though, I had a hard time getting into it, but once i got used to it, funtimes were had. You can always play on the easiest setting to breeze through it. As for the sequel, i found it amazing - the storytelling and the art were both stellar, and combat, while not the best, was very enjoyable. Best pick if you're going for a story-driven game.

Dark Souls - oh man, this is a pure gem. I've never played a game like it, at least i don't remember having. One of the best combat systems I've ever encountered - it's pretty skill-based I'd say, even when you deck your character in awesome armor it still can be difficult. There's ALWAYS the danger of dying. And the art is amazing, so original, various zones are all very unique. That combined with the aforementioned danger had me on the edge of my seat a lot of the time. Passing through the game reminded me somewhat of raiding in WoW, when you finally manage to down THAT boss with your guildies, the sense of accomplishment you get after being completely focused on something and nailing it.
    I'll never forget setting foot for the first time in a zone called Anor Londo, it was almost breathtaking :P. Without spoiling too much, it's an ancient titan city. Do yourself a favour, and don't look up the pictures of it on the net, it's worth seeing it for the first time in person.
    However, the story is practically non-existent unless you actively search for it. Most of the lore is presented through item descriptions, and I never had the patience to read them and make sense of it all. Although from what I gather, even if you delve deep into it, most of the stuff going on is still pretty mysterious and/or open to interpretation.
    Concerning the quality of the port - i used some sort of a fix, probably one of those mentioned in the thread, and haven't found the controls to be difficult to use at all. I never felt the need for a controller, but then again, I haven't played consoles for over a decade, i think the controller would've only made it harder for me.
    One last thing: you've probably heard it before, but the game is difficult, compared to other single players in recent years. So if you're not the patient kind, or the kind that likes challenges in games, prone to raging etc., you might well LOATHE the game. I think it's one of those, love-it-or-hate-it kind of things.

The Witcher 2 is one of the best RPGs ever made. It's a masterpiece.

That's the one you should start with.