[api] How can I print return value of function onto chat window?

Hi, I have basic question.

I want to print some return values of a function onto chat window by wow macro.

the function is UnitDebuff(). In wow-programming, Unitdebuff is defined by....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    name, rank, icon, count, dispelType, duration, expires, caster, isStealable, shouldConsolidate, spellID, canApplyAura, isBossDebuff, value1, value2, value3
    = UnitDebuff("unit", index [, "filter"]) or UnitDebuff("unit", "name" [, "rank" [, "filter"]])
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I want to do is printing value1, value2, value3 of UnitDebuff("target","corruption") (corruption is just example)

But, I've never study wow api, so I have no idea how to pick value1,value2,value3 from UnitDebuff(). There are so many return values.

Please help me.

Let me know the macro phrase.

print() is the Lua function that prints to the default chat frame. If you use that function with another function as the only (or last, more precisely) argument, it should print all the return values of the other function.

WoW also has the /dump slash command which will do a similar thing. The argument after /dump is the Lua expression that you want to print.

15+ Year Old Account
    /script local arg1, arg2, arg3 = UnitDebuff("target", "Corruption"); print(arg1,arg2,arg3)
    should work
    Abandon the search for Truth; settle for a good fantasy.
    iKeystones, iLFRDescription, iEncounterEventTracker

wow, does print() print all return value?

/run print(UnitDebuff()) is okay?

- - - Updated - - -

Ironi//

arg1,arg2,arg3 is the very value1,value2,value3 of return values of UnitDebuff() ??

value1,value2,value3 are not just value but specific return value of UnitDebuff.

(last 3 return values.)

name, rank, icon, count, dispelType, duration, expires, caster, isStealable, shouldConsolidate, spellID, canApplyAura, isBossDebuff, value1, value2, value3
    = UnitDebuff("unit", index [, "filter"]) or UnitDebuff("unit", "name" [, "rank" [, "filter"]])

10+ Year Old Account
    Try this:

Code:
    /script print(select(14, UnitDebuff("target", "Corruption")))

Quote Originally Posted by Warlockczar View Post
    wow, does print() print all return value?

/run print(UnitDebuff()) is okay?
    yes, did you not try it?

Lua vararg functions accept all return values of the last argument. So as long as you don't add any other argument afterwards, e.g. print(UnitDebuff(),extraFunction(),extraVariable), you'll print everything you want.
    Last edited by pnutbutter; 2013-12-28 at 07:09 AM.

Um...It didn't work.

I did

/run print(UnitBuff("target","[any buff]"))

Quote Originally Posted by Warlockczar View Post
    Um...It didn't work.

I did

/run print(UnitBuff("target","[any buff]"))
    Did you use that exact string? [any buff] is not a valid argument for that function.

Deleted
    Code:
    select(index, ...)
    will return all vararg arguments passed starting at the indexth one.

In this case, as you want return values 14, 15 and 16, you'd use:
    Code:
    /run print(select(14,UnitDebuff("target","Corruption")))

pnutbutter/

Yes, I put exact spell name and spell ID.

Treeston/

I'll do again after work. THX

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for everyone.

/run print(select(14,UnitDebuff("target","Corruption"))) works very well.

I think we can fix errors of Affdots(when soul swapping) with this....?

I like

Code:
    /dump argument
    Example:

Code:
    /dump UnitName("player")
    That way you don't have to call the print function, and the /dump functionality also dumps the output of all return values.
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, +1 for /dump. Its output isn't as nice as the output of the one they got the idea from, but it's definitely better than print(...).
    Shiboomi of <Riot> on US-Sargeras