10+ Year Old Account

How to farm for your Sea Turtle!

Hi everyone.
    I'm creating this thread in an attempt to help ye on your quest to finally get your greedy hands on a Sea Turtle!
    You will find a lot of speculation and theories about the best way to catch this mount in various sites. Here's the best way to get your achievement!

1. Fly to Howling Fjord and head to Winter's Breath Lake, north of Skorn. Some of you may remember this place from the Argent Tournament dailies.
    2. I've been told you can always find fish in pools regardless of skill; however, just in case, i went there with 600 skill and a lure.
    3. From now on: fish in the pools of Fangtooth Herring contained in said lake!

-Why should you farm in this place?
    The pools of Fangtooth will have a chance to yield the rare fish Dark Herring, needed for the achievement [One That Didn't Get Away]. Both the turtle and the fish have a very small chance to appear, but fishing for two rare drops instead of just one could make it more bearable. Furthermore, even if you already have a rare fish like the Herring and don't need any more, this place is still a very good choice to fish in: in my experience, there's no competition there.
    I sometimes found the odd fisherman trying to spot a Herring, but they all left within 20 minutes, and the pools respawn fast.

-How can you be sure it's the best spot?
    There isn't a place better than another one to catch your Sea Turtle. However, this place is empty; you don't risk finding enemies or other fishermen most of the times.
    There's a theory going around the forums, that is, you have better chances fishing in Pandaria through a http://www.wowhead.com/item=85973/an...-fishing-charm (Ancient Pandaren Fishing Charm). Do NOT pay attention to these theories.
    I caught my Sea Turtle in Winter's Breath as the THIRD catch in a single loot panel, along with a Herring and a Suckerfish. I didn't have a charm (not like it would've worked in Northrend). Random is random.

CONCLUDING REMARKS

Have patience... a lot of patience. I farmed for a week before finding it. All you have to do is... don't burn yourself out with constant farming, don't pay attention to theories and supposed ways to increase your chances, and do something else while you wait for the Fishing Bobber to splash.

Good luck!

15+ Year Old Account
    I got mine fishing the Herring pools across from the Valgarde landing, in the caves. Patience is the key. I wanted mine pretty bad and after about 4 hours I had mine, I chose the caves for no comp, back then everybody was trying for one.

GL

Herald of the Titans The Flavour Cat's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It really is random. I think I fished it up in Borean Tundra during WotLK. It's best to find quiet areas that aren't in Pandaria.
    Isn't it ironic how education is important, yet people forget all about it when they visit the internet?

Deleted
    3rd catch?... 4 hours?... I guess random really IS random because I caught mine back in WotLK after fishing in a collected time span of 17 hours... it was a long day... perhaps the droprate was increased though?

Deleted
    Yup, Sea Turtle is all about patient and luck.

I got mine in Howling Fjord, near around Cauldron Isle. This was under WotLK. Was damn happy, 20 mins before I got Rivendares Mount, and suddenly I fished up a Sea Turtle. Never been so luckily.

My brother died when he saw me fish up another Sea Turtle within five mins. I... well. RNG, damn you!

Anyone know if you can get the turtle from fishing the "daily fishing event" pools? If so, that would be the best option by far. Jump on your raft and you'll never be more than 3 seconds away from the next pool.

Got it back in 2012 sometime; enjoyed every. single. minute. No bots, just lots of alt tabbing listening for the SPLASH sound.

I haven't fished since.
    Last edited by Redfern; 2013-12-28 at 03:38 PM.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    i got mine in that lake, near those DEHTA druid guys, in borean tundra. on my first cast upon entering the zone. this was waaaay back when it was first added to the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayen View Post
    3rd catch?... 4 hours?... I guess random really IS random because I caught mine back in WotLK after fishing in a collected time span of 17 hours... it was a long day... perhaps the droprate was increased though?
    Nope, it's still a terribly low drop chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    So basically fish pools of fish in northrend or later. Great job stating the obvious.
    I don't know if you read through it all. Not only I'm suggesting a particular spot for it, but I'm also giving tips, like avoiding believing to random crap you find on sites about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    So basically fish pools of fish in northrend or later. Great job stating the obvious.
    Except for the part where he gave you a good location and explained why, able to fish for the other rare at the same time, lots of pool, little to no mobs, and usually no other players. All helpful info.
    Last edited by Skizzit; 2013-12-28 at 04:40 PM.

Are there any minimum requirement in fishing to be albe to loot this? So that this may be done while leveling fishing ;D

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Would everyone hate me if I told you that I got mine on my first pool in Howling Fjord? It is complete RNG and is just going to take some time flying around from pool to pool and fishing.

~Spazzer

Quote Originally Posted by QQnoob View Post
    Are there any minimum requirement in fishing to be albe to loot this? So that this may be done while leveling fishing ;D
    fishing in pools are guaranteed catches, so no. in fact you're better off doing it with an alt that needs the skillups rather than something maxed at 600 because let's face it you're not getting anything out of it but vendor trash due to halfhill cooking catchup to mop skill. cooking mats below mop don't sell anymore
    POWERED BY THE RED RAGE OF OUR CUSTOMERS, THIS IRON STEED WILL VALIANTLY LEAD YOU INTO BATTLE FOR THE ONLY FEW WEEKS YOU WILL USE IT. TAKES ONLY $30 AND YOUR SOUL TO ENJOY THE MOUNT EVERY OTHER PERSON HAS. BUY NOOOW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Figures I've never seen the turtle, but my otherwise lucky Blood Elf once fished up two Dark Herring in the same day.

Quote Originally Posted by Spazzer View Post
    Would everyone hate me if I told you that I got mine on my first pool in Howling Fjord?
    No, but I'll throw a Herring at you for good measure.

Howling Fjord is where I got mine, at the lake just north of Giants Run. I tried farming kinda hard for it but got bored really quickly and just decided to only spend 30 minutes a day fishing and then stop. It was only about a week later or so, one day after about 20 minutes I fished it up.

10+ Year Old Account
    ~6500ish casts, in the pools that potentially can yield a turtle, and nothing yet...
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pebbleton View Post
    Nope, it's still a terribly low drop chance.
    Yeah, 17 hours actually sounded lucky to me.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sea turtles, mate.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

I tried fishing for mine for years.... with 35k fish and other things caught AT-LEAST... ended up getting it from Twilight Highlands while I was fishing for cooking ingredients... Was somewhere around the Dragon Soul patch.
    I was psyched...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by coldrain View Post
    fishing in pools are guaranteed catches, so no. in fact you're better off doing it with an alt that needs the skillups rather than something maxed at 600 because let's face it you're not getting anything out of it but vendor trash due to halfhill cooking catchup to mop skill. cooking mats below mop don't sell anymore
    While it is true that the cooking mats are unlikely to sell, (they can always be useful to people who want those cooking recipe achievements), glassfin minnows in Crystalsong Forest are used in the alchemy recipe to create elixirs of water walking.