Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Archimtiros View Post
    -snip-
    Didn't mention belt because hunters are usually half of the belt groups, making it a neutral mechanic.

Melee have it very slightly harder for Whirling, but that's offset by not having to deal with Amber or Death From Above.

I get where you're coming from, but I played a melee all through last tier and an alt through this one, most fights are boring. Maximizing damage is harder as melee sure, but mechanics themselves? Usually a snorefest.

Pretty sure it's this way by design too - if a fight is too hard for melee (or causes too much dps loss) you just sit all your melee.
    Last edited by Frozendekay; 2014-01-01 at 03:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozendekay View Post
    Didn't mention belt because hunters are usually half of the belt groups, making it a neutral mechanic.

Melee have it very slightly harder for Whirling, but that's offset by not having to deal with Amber or Death From Above.
    Hunters are only there because they can go up every belt. Same reason Rogues are great for it. Granted the damage Hunters (and Rogues) is good; but as a rule, ranged don't do the belt. I wouldn't call that neutral or take that to mean that ranged deal with it just as much as melee, but technically either group could do it.

You have the opposite design as well, there have been a few fights where you take as many melee as possible, though those are usually few and far between.

No matter how you look at it though, this tier had very simple mechanics for both parties. You keep bringing up Amber and Death From Above. They are not complicated by any means. Spread out, look for an indicator on the ground and move. A melee could do that just as well. The reason those mechanics generally don't effect melee is because there isn't enough room for the melee to move and still be able to DPS. Also the ability would force most if not all melee, possibly even tanks, to move as well.

This tier didn't have overly punishing mechanics to begin with though. Not nearly as bad as last tier. I wouldn't go as far as to say any of them were very demanding on any class/spec.

Again, not saying this tier's mechanics were super hard. Just that ranged usually have to deal with the majority of them. The tradeoff is that it's harder for melee to maximize their damage whenever mechanics DO affect them.

Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    Should also be noted that standing behind, if you're in that red ring under the boss (hitbox) then you can still be parried. So make sure you're standing outside it. Just wanted to post this common knowledge incase OP wasn't being sarcastic.

for real? i doubt that.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozendekay View Post
    Again, not saying this tier's mechanics were super hard. Just that ranged usually have to deal with the majority of them. The tradeoff is that it's harder for melee to maximize their damage whenever mechanics DO affect them.
    Very rarely. Really depends on the bosses model; but if you are standing too far inside the hitbox ring (like in the center of it, or inside the bosses model) you can sometimes be parried.
    The normal parry range is the 180 degree arc in front of the boss. This means draw a straight line through the middle of the hitbox circle horizontally. Everything in front of that line (towards the bosses face) can be parried. Everything behind it will not be parried. This is why you can often stand at the side of a boss and not be parried (Thok).
    If you get too far inside that hitbox, you step over that line; and can be parried even though you are still sort of behind him, he is just parrying you with his butthole.

There are a few models that are funky no matter what. I'm not sure why but I believe it has something to do with funky hit box sizes. There are quite a few bosses who's hitbox is tiny but actual melee range is much larger (again Thok), and vise versa (large hitbox, small melee range, Thok). Because the hitbox is so much larger, even though you aren't actually standing up inside the bosses ass; you cross over that imaginary line and thus can be parried. Luckily this is rather rare.

At any rate, the general rule of thumb is to stay at max melee range as much as possible, makes it easier to see ground effects when you aren't two feet inside Garrosh's colon and gives melee more room to spread out when needed.