About WoW modding prohibitions

First off, sorry if this is the wrong section.

I have a question regarding WoW modding prohibitions. Now, I know it's illegal to modify WoW client files, but I thought of a "hole" ( or my mis-knowledge ) in the system. What if, say, we have a program that is similiar to the tool WoW Devs use ( WoW Edit ). Now let's say we make an entirely custom map using it. Not using any WoW zone or map. You just make a few empty virtual squares with no textures or objects on them. Then you start "modding" them until you have something that looks like a WoW zone. Is that illegal?

All textures and models are copyrighted by Blizzard, so yes.
    My addons:
    Announce Interrupts: Announces in chat when you interrupt a spell.
    Tol Barad Reminder: Reminds you to queue for Tol Barad by printing a message when the battle is approaching.
    EasyLogger: Turns on /combatlog inside raid instances, and off outside.
    Simple class resource bars: Paladin Rogue Shaman Monk Priest

Damn, that's a shame

There are artists out there who like painting their own zones. Just like Vaanel who makes Warcraft Models, there are people who make their own zones, they even create their own WoW models ( weapons, mounts, armor, races, etc ). Due to all these prohibitions they hide in the shadows and nobody sees their masterpieces and Blizzard could greatly benefit from them.

Deleted
    question is why would you worry? its like the private server debate, yes technically its illegal but your not going to get thrown in jail for running or playing on a private wow server and to my knowledge noone ever has, people worry to much. do what you want I highly doubt your going to have blizzard going to court over a few modded texture files haha.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverrendy View Post
    Damn, that's a shame

There are artists out there who like painting their own zones. Just like Vaanel who makes Warcraft Models, there are people who make their own zones, they even create their own WoW models ( weapons, mounts, armor, races, etc ). Due to all these prohibitions they hide in the shadows and nobody sees their masterpieces and Blizzard could greatly benefit from them.

Vannael is doing his own thing and not claiming the characters and such as his own. He's doing *Fanart* and stuff. Like say I wanted to write my personal take on Warcraft. the content would be Blizzard but any *creative changes* I made would be mine but I can't claim Warcraft as my own or make profit off of it.

question is why would you worry? its like the private server debate, yes technically its illegal but your not going to get thrown in jail for running a private wow server and to my knowledge noone ever has, people worry to much. do what you want I highly doubt your going to have blizzard going to court over a few modded texture files haha.
    You shouldn't be advocating of breaking the ToS.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by thatcrazypenguin View Post
    question is why would you worry? its like the private server debate, yes technically its illegal but your not going to get thrown in jail for running or playing on a private wow server and to my knowledge noone ever has, people worry to much. do what you want I highly doubt your going to have blizzard going to court over a few modded texture files haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Vannael is doing his own thing and not claiming the characters and such as his own. He's doing *Fanart* and stuff. Like say I wanted to write my personal take on Warcraft. the content would be Blizzard but any *creative changes* I made would be mine but I can't claim Warcraft as my own or make profit off of it.
    As I said, there are people out there doing this exact this. And they are not claiming it to be theirs. They aren't making a profit out of it. They are just having fun. Exactly as you said - "Fanart". That's why I'm asking if it's illegal when you aren't making a profit out of it, nor claiming it to be yours, and also you aren't directly modifying game files.

If you plan on making your own zone using World of Warcraft Models, Textures and Assets you're running a Private Server which is against the Terms of Service, and also potentially illegal as you'll be (maybe) earning an income from their property.

Honestly, why not enjoy the amazing work that thousands of people produce? The World of Warcraft zones are amazing, and any amount of work you develop yourself risks your account being banned, and legal action, plus it'll be a rather lame map / zone.

Quote Originally Posted by VoodooGaming View Post
    If you plan on making your own zone using World of Warcraft Models, Textures and Assets you're running a Private Server which is against the Terms of Service, and also potentially illegal as you'll be (maybe) earning an income from their property.
    there's no potentially. it *is* illegal. with income, or without.

Quote Originally Posted by VoodooGaming View Post

Honestly, why not enjoy the amazing work that thousands of people produce? The World of Warcraft zones are amazing, and any amount of work you develop yourself risks your account being banned, and legal action, plus it'll be a rather lame map / zone.
    Nah, I'm not planning anything myself and the people who I am talking about don't necessarily have to run a server or make a profit out of it. They are just making "fanart" as someone said about Vaanel. And trust me, I am enjoying Blizzard's work. But I am a fan of variety. The more the better.

With risk of getting another infracture here on MMO-Champ, I just can't let that last part go. They are far from lame. I'll just put this here: http://imgur.com/a/bN2AP
    I don't know the guy personally, I know his nickname but I'm not spitting it out either way. I can't be blamed for finding stuff on the internet, right?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    there's no potentially. it *is* illegal. with income, or without.
    Alright, I guess that clears it up.

Can someone tell me exactly how it would be "illegal"? You (or whoever) should be fine, as long as your modded WoW doesn't come into contact with the official servers (because that would be cheating, like when people modded AQ to get to the boss faster) or you open up a private server that can be openly accessed.

What you posted is simply fan art imo.
    Last edited by reckoner04; 2013-12-30 at 08:59 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverrendy View Post
    First off, sorry if this is the wrong section.

I have a question regarding WoW modding prohibitions. Now, I know it's illegal to modify WoW client files, but I thought of a "hole" ( or my mis-knowledge ) in the system. What if, say, we have a program that is similiar to the tool WoW Devs use ( WoW Edit ). Now let's say we make an entirely custom map using it. Not using any WoW zone or map. You just make a few empty virtual squares with no textures or objects on them. Then you start "modding" them until you have something that looks like a WoW zone. Is that illegal?
    So what you are saying:
    You have some 3D modeling program, lets say Zbrush.
    You want to create a map that looks similar to WoW map.
    That is perfectly legal.
    Now, if you try to sell that, that is illegal.
    You can post those freely titled as 'fanart', Blizzard would even put your work on their website if it's good enough

BUT, that is not modding
    Modding would be creating something entirely new that didn't exist in the game and adding it to the game. For example flying lazer turkeys (oh wait we have those, but druids can't fly in moonkin form, so I guess it still counts). Yes THIS modding would be illegal

Hope this clears stuff up, if I misunderstood something, let me know
    PM me weird stuff :3