Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder why I'm the only one who thought "yoo-en"

Quote Originally Posted by xezar View Post
    If you really want to get technical, Blizz/Activision was owned by a French company (Vivendi) when MoP was made, so your ignorance is showing.
    Which matters how exactly? Oh yeah, having part of your stock owned by something like vivendi doesn't matter at all in that regard. Blizzard is still seated in america though. Giving your characters names which require some arbitrary naming sheme to properly translate - which is nowhere indicated - is just random. It's not blizzard alone though, its common in many languages actually, I just hate it when they take a word, say a french one, and just integrate it into another language and even take away the accents, depriving it of any senable indication how to pronounce it without context.

While we are at it, how would the other 3 useless clown animals be pronounced? They surely have their own rules and I don't feel like learning pinyin at 4:17 in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by takeshiIsu View Post
    dont trust voice actors....GW2 was a prime example. quay......you pronounce it key, like everyone on the sodding planet does, apart from the voice actor they hired....really really bugs me.
    To be fair it's not the VA's responsibility, the people giving them scripts or managing the recording are in charge of ensuring things like pronunciation (and I mean, imagine the job VAs have walking into recordings for hundreds of games etc and having all these weird words thrown at them all the time).
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I wonder why I'm the only one who thought "yoo-en"
    I dunno. What language is 'x' a transliteration of a 'y' noise?

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    To be fair it's not the VA's responsibility, the people giving them scripts or managing the recording are in charge of ensuring things like pronunciation (and I mean, imagine the job VAs have walking into recordings for hundreds of games etc and having all these weird words thrown at them all the time).
    Time is money, I guess? I get a sudden flashback to a simpsons episode where Krusty records something and does it in under 10 seconds. They probably often don't know themself or aren't present during the recording.

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    I dunno. What language is 'x' a transliteration of a 'y' noise?
    Was wondering the same actually. I know of x, ch, mixtures of ks, cks and gs sounds, but never heared of an association with y.

Deleted
    gziu-when ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post
    Xuen is a piece of cake in terms of pronunciation difficulty anyways.

How do you pronounce Y'Shaarj?
    ee-shaarj, I think.
    Last edited by TEHPALLYTANK; 2013-12-30 at 04:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

if you have sound on in game they say zuu en.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler

If you are trying to AE tank and a bad dps is attacking the wrong target and dies, we call that justice.

Shwen for me, I took mandarin for a couple years, I always thought the X sound was a sh, and ue is weh. I could be wrong, I did poorly in the class, but pronunciation was actually a strong point for me haha

Schwinn
    Priest Warrior
    You are not your role. You are not how much gold you have on your account.
    You are not the mount you ride. You are not the contents of your bank.
    You are not your epic purples. You are not a special and unique snowflake.
    You are the all-grinding, all-farming crap of Azeroth.

10+ Year Old Account
    gshu en for me
    Chaos! Madness! Like a hug for your brain!¯\(°_o)/¯
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpheus View Post
    People doing below 200k dps? Ain't nobody got time for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by smartazjb0y View Post
    Why? Why should content be gated behind skill?
    14/14h and finally done

Zoo-en here.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war. - George Santayana
    Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. - George Santayana

Regardless of the real world inspiration, that doesn't mean Pandaren is Chinese.

Xuen and Anduin both say his name during the game. And its pronounced "Zoo-en."

The same thing for Taran Zhu. I had somebody in my Taran Zhu video absolutely crucify me because they believed it was pronounced "Taran Ju." I dont even know if that is correct or not, but, again, we go by how its pronounced by the NPCs in the game.

Its Zoo-en and Tear-an zoo. Regarding the Y'Shaarj pronunciation, its "Yah-sha-raj."
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2013-12-30 at 05:40 AM.

It's the "correct pronunciation" because the in-game NPCs also pronounce it that way.
    When and where? I've only ever heard the White Tiger

The later I disregard because it's about even with using 9.8 for gravity in an equation for freefall on another planet (until someone can point out and prove otherwise)

Granted I haven't logged in since the Vale of Eternal Blossoms was still gold and shiny and bright.

Xzwen >.> Idk why my mind makes me say the X sound, I got poked at for calling Xigbar from Kingdom Hearts Xzigbar for the same reason...heh.
    "May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce"

"May the Goddess smile upon you."

"Hero", is what they've all been saying. This world, it isn't worth the saving."

Xuen is a piece of cake in terms of pronunciation difficulty anyways.

How do you pronounce Y'Shaarj?
    Something like Yah-sha-raj is what I've heard devs say

Deleted
    I've always thought it was sort of like

Zoo N

Stood in the Fire LegendaryDude's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I allways just called him Shen. Seemed to be the easiest way