Page 1 of 2
LastLast

AMD FX-8350 Vishera on WoW?

I know WoW doesn't take much, but I'm curious if anyone here uses this and can tell me what they run at? Also running an Nvidia 660 TI, would be running 8-16 GB of RAM on an ASUS M5A97 Mobo.

Asking because I seem to always have awful luck running WoW regardless of how well I think my computer should handle it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally don't have one, but when you say you have 'awful luck running wow', what does that mean? Is it crashing? Poor performance in certain areas?

AMD CPU's in general are pretty poor for heavy raiding in MMO's, thats why Intels are usually preferred. Anything outside of raiding should be handled just fine though, depending on settings.
    Last edited by chazus; 2013-12-30 at 12:43 AM.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

I had one, just upgraded to a i7. I was running it overclocked to 4.8Ghz from its stock of 4.0. I also use an AMD Radeon 7970 with 16 gigs of ram. I was playing wow at ultra no problems at 1080p. FPS was generally 60 at least in citys and probably 45-60 in a 10 man raid. 25 im not to sure of because I rarely do LFR. But I would venture to guess around 45. Defiantly playable. I would speculate with your 660Ti you will see similar results. If your not you might have something else going on.
    Last edited by Helieos; 2013-12-30 at 12:48 AM.
    ​MoBo: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | CPU: Intel 4770k @ 4.5Ghz | GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 4Gb | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB @ 1866Mhz | Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, ADATA SU800 256GB, Hitachi Deskstar 3TB HDD | PSU: SeaSonic X Series 80+ Gold 850W | Cooler: NZXT Kraken x62 | Case: NZXT H510 Elite

10+ Year Old Account
    For WoW i would look at a 4670k from intel instead, WoW do not really benefit nearly as much from many cores as it does from strong single core performance, which is where intel blows amd out of the water, but its slightly more expensive though.

In the end it depends on what you do in the game, it will do just fine for anything but high end raiding.
    Last edited by zealo; 2013-12-30 at 01:15 AM.

I guess the best question to ask at this point is, do you already own this hardware or are you upgrading/building a computer. Its not exactly clear from your first post. If you already own the board and are looking to upgrade cheaply, the 8350 is just fine from my experience using it. Its by no means the best CPU out there but if you don't feel like investing in a new cpu/mobo then its your best bet. If your looking to build a computer from the ground up I would recommend the Intel solution. A i5 and a decent board are going to run you around $350-$400 USD. As compared to the 8350 which is currently $190 on newegg.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    For WoW i would look at a 4670k from intel instead, WoW do not really benefit nearly as much from many cores as it does from strong single core performance, which is where intel blows amd out of the water, but its slightly more expensive though.

In the end it depends on what you do in the game, it will do just fine for anything but high end raiding.
    It would do fine in high end raiding. I used one up until 2 weeks ago.
    ​MoBo: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | CPU: Intel 4770k @ 4.5Ghz | GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 4Gb | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB @ 1866Mhz | Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, ADATA SU800 256GB, Hitachi Deskstar 3TB HDD | PSU: SeaSonic X Series 80+ Gold 850W | Cooler: NZXT Kraken x62 | Case: NZXT H510 Elite

I've already got an AM3+ motherboard, which is why I'm not looking at Intel. Right now I'm basically looking at buying processor + RAM instead of processor + mobo + ram. From what I can tell this is the biggest baddest motherfucker of a CPU for AM3+, and it's at a great price.

@chazus: I feel like my current setup (same mobo, graphics card, 4GB RAM and Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition) should be running WoW higher than it currently does, but I get 17-25 FPS in 25m heroic raids on fairly mediocre settings (too lazy to log in right now to check specifics, but I definitely don't run on ultra).

Buddy linked me to https://teksyndicate.com/videos/amd-...ing-benchmarks which spoke very highly of this CPU.

I have one and it runs wow well. High settings across the board, could probably run ultra, but dont. You shouldnt have any problems. It wont run it as well as an intel, but the difference is by no means unplayable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by timbaLt View Post
    I've already got an AM3+ motherboard, which is why I'm not looking at Intel... but I get 17-25 FPS in 25m heroic raids on fairly mediocre settings...Buddy linked me to .. which spoke very highly of this CPU.
    I understand your predicament. Unfortunately, your problem is pretty much your CPU. The 8350 is not a bad CPU by any means, however it's only one generation newer than what you have core wise (which is largely the only place you'll have improvement).

Is the 8350 the best upgrade for your board? Yes.
    Will it give SOME improvement? Yes.
    Will it gave a large improvement? No.

If it were me, I'd save up some money to switch to an intel setup. The stuff you're doing (25m heroic) is specifically, precisely the place where the AMD platform starts to fall behind. That video is nice, and it isn't accurate, but it's benchmarking things that either don't care about the CPU, or benefit from multicore CPU's (Metro specifically). Not only that, but they don't OC, which is where the better Intel's shine even more. What they DON'T benchmark, is the single thing you're concerned about.

You're either going to have to keep it on lower settings for 25m, or switch to Intel, simply put.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

I owned this CPU before i got my 2500k:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103921

Its a bit slower in games than your 965 because of the lack of L3 cache, and while i did notice a large difference in going from amd to intel i got far higher fps than what you are claiming, with a much slower graphics card (nvidia gt240). With medium settings i really dont think you should drop below 25 fps on your system in a 25 man. I think a more likely problem here is addons.

If i was you i wouldnt bother upgrading, if anything try and OC your 965 to 4.0. It also wouldnt hurt to buy another 4gb stick of ram, i know my PC uses over 4gb pretty regularly during games (around 5 usually).

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    I owned this CPU before i got my 2500k:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103921

Its a bit slower in games than your 965 because of the lack of L3 cache, and while i did notice a large difference in going from amd to intel i got far higher fps than what you are claiming, with a much slower graphics card (nvidia gt240). With medium settings i really dont think you should drop below 25 fps on your system in a 25 man. I think a more likely problem here is addons.

If i was you i wouldnt bother upgrading, if anything try and OC your 965 to 4.0. It also wouldnt hurt to buy another 4gb stick of ram, i know my PC uses over 4gb pretty regularly during games (around 5 usually).
    I hardly use addons, Vuhdo, DBM, and WeakAuras are practically all I use. Only thing that bugs me about RAM is mixing a different kind would be annoying, and spending $100 on 8GB of DDR3 1333 and having it not increase performance would be a real bitch.

Well you can regularly find 8gb kits on sale for 60 bucks in US (not sure if you said where you live tho), and if you wanted to pair your ram just take your stick out and google the part number.

You should try running an LFR or something on an alt without addons just to make sure, you never know.

Deleted
    Well, the fact of the matter is that in 25m raiding situation even i3s outperform any AMD CPU. It's all about IPC and IPC isn't what AMD does well.

Also, as mentioned before, upgrading to another AMD isn't going to help, it won't improve the limiting factor much.

Quote Originally Posted by timbaLt View Post
    I know WoW doesn't take much,
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA

the ONLY thing WoW needs is CPU power.

every 08/15 Graphics Card can run WoW but the limiter will always be the CPU.

and AMD CPUs are crap.

I own an 8350 paired with a GTX 780 and 8GB of ram(had to RMA my other 8 since they were bad) I run around 60-120FPS depending on where im at. Inside the shrine of two moons i hit 120fps but for some reason(and its always been this way even before i got my 8350) when i step outside where the flight master is on the balcony my framrate drops to around 55-65ish(or 20-35 in the case of my old Penom II x4 965 so i saw double the improvement). ive never benchmarked a raid but i will tonight if itll help you out at all. One thing to consider is there there really isnt a practical setup that is going to get you 50-60fps in a 25-man raid that i know of. And before anyone here claims that their i5 whatever model gets them 60 fps in a 25-man raid i say show my a video with a running benchmark and ill believe it otherwise you're full of crap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karon View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA

the ONLY thing WoW needs is CPU power.

every 08/15 Graphics Card can run WoW but the limiter will always be the CPU.

and AMD CPUs are crap.
    Much hate, such mature, wow.

AMD CPU's are not gonna do as well on an old engine like WoW that doesn't have proper support for 4+ cores which is why a 8350 (8 core) gets outperformed (in WoW) by a haswell i3 (2 core) with much better single IPC. AMD have sorta fallen back on the high end market of CPU's, their APU's are amazing and the consoles prove that. For newer AAA games a 8350 Is gonna do fine assuming the games are mantle supported. But again, for WoW look for a 4570 / H81 motherboard which will cost you 40-50 $ extra which is well worth it.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Quote Originally Posted by Dezrow View Post
    I own an 8350 paired with a GTX 780 and 8GB of ram(had to RMA my other 8 since they were bad) I run around 60-120FPS depending on where im at. Inside the shrine of two moons i hit 120fps but for some reason(and its always been this way even before i got my 8350) when i step outside where the flight master is on the balcony my framrate drops to around 55-65ish(or 20-35 in the case of my old Penom II x4 965 so i saw double the improvement). ive never benchmarked a raid but i will tonight if itll help you out at all. One thing to consider is there there really isnt a practical setup that is going to get you 50-60fps in a 25-man raid that i know of. And before anyone here claims that their i5 whatever model gets them 60 fps in a 25-man raid i say show my a video with a running benchmark and ill believe it otherwise you're full of crap.

You must be on a low pop server. At prime time on lightbringer my system can drop down to 40 out on the balcony, and i have 2500k running at 4.4ghz. Its just one of those spots in the game we are talking about where no matter how much money you throw at a system you cant peg 60 fps at all times, old engine is old.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    That video is nice, and it isn't accurate,
    It's accurate in that it benchmarks gaming capability instead of raw single thread CPU power, however some games (WoW, SC2) are a little straightforward in their CPU handling (WoW engine is old, SC2 is just hard to thread). If it was any other game than WoW (for example BF4), I'd probably go with the 8350 instead of making a full switch to Intel

That said save some cash and go 4670k.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karon View Post
    and AMD CPUs are crap.
    And you're an idiot not understanding the beauty of AMD CPU's. Cheap and all the extensions with so many cores are awesome for certain applications.

Can we just call it quits on the old engine argument? Do you honestly think that coders there just twiddle their thumbs whenever they don't have to implement a new game feature instead of continuously keeping the engine up to date? Limitation isn't the engine, but rather how things need to be programmed, and how much can actually be done asynchronously. (or synchronously, but in parallel, which is a headache as it is already)
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

Quote Originally Posted by Fluorescent0 View Post
    Can we just call it quits on the old engine argument? Do you honestly think that coders there just twiddle their thumbs whenever they don't have to implement a new game feature instead of continuously keeping the engine up to date? Limitation isn't the engine, but rather how things need to be programmed, and how much can actually be done asynchronously. (or synchronously, but in parallel, which is a headache as it is already)
    If they can make BF4 use cores quite nicely there is no reason MMO like WoW couldn't at least split some tasks to more cores. I'm not saying WoW should though, it's not reasonable to re-code the whole engine again.

Quote Originally Posted by Thes View Post
    If they can make BF4 use cores quite nicely there is no reason MMO like WoW couldn't at least split some tasks to more cores. I'm not saying WoW should though, it's not reasonable to re-code the whole engine again.
    BF4 mostly offloads physics and UI to the secondary cores. You don't have the first in WoW and the second one is already getting offloaded. You can't compare different types of games, sorry. There's also quite a difference in computing shots based on the weapon you're using and part where you hit the body, and computing spells based on much more variables such as your stats and debuffs on the boss. You really can't compare so different games to provide examples.

Oh, and even if they did recode it from scratch you wouldn't see that much of a difference most likely.
    Last edited by Fluorescent0; 2013-12-30 at 02:30 PM.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760