Poll: Is the Monstrous Spineclaw spawn system badly designed?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaedria View Post
    Those people exist, but you think this is one of those cases? Where grind and repetition are involved, there are degrees, and people are welcome to their own opinion of where the reasonable threshold is. Blizzard could gate every single worthwhile item behind a 6-month grind or give raid bosses a 0.1% chance of dropping any loot if they wanted to (if they were insane) and people would be disgusted by that. Because they're not willing to work at all? No, because they're not willing to be the rat pulling a lever a few hundred times until the machine randomly dispenses a pellet. A little RNG makes for exciting drops and gives value to items. Too much RNG and the actual enjoyment wears off, and all you're left with is repeating a monotonous task.
    That's fair enough, but you don't need the reward from Going to Need a Bigger Bag to do anything else in the game at all. It's not like gear or even a raiding achievement. Hell, you don't even get cosmetic items/titles.

There's no reward other than you having "fun" in the process of completing the achievement.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaedria View Post
    I wish credit for individual items in that achievement could be account-wide, but AFAIK no achievement works quite like that (would have to have a separate achievement for each item and a meta achievement, I think) so maybe the system isn't set up for it.
    The system is set up for it, a few achievements already do, Master of All comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by voidspark View Post
    That's fair enough, but you don't need the reward from Going to Need a Bigger Bag to do anything else in the game at all. It's not like gear or even a raiding achievement. Hell, you don't even get cosmetic items/titles.

There's no reward other than you having "fun" in the process of completing the achievement.
    Touché. But there's no reward from any part of the game other than "fun," is there? Unless maybe you're a sponsored streamer/world first raider or something.

Still, sometimes, if you generally like an aspect of the game (pet collecting, achievements etc.) but one individual example of it frustrates you for some reason, maybe it's not entirely unreasonable to voice dissatisfaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    The system is set up for it, a few achievements already do, Master of All comes to mind.
    That's true.

Been farming and farming this on my main since the patch dropped.

Killed it one time on a character I was opening boxes on for tokens. Pet drops. Going to need bigger bags should be account wide, fml.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

Nah, I'd probably agree cept I've gotten 7 of these pets. Having crap luck with a handful of other items though. (Archi, Cinder, Guchi, Bufo, Huo etc)
    Stay salty my friends.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krommm View Post
    Nah, I'd probably agree cept I've gotten 7 of these pets. Having crap luck with a handful of other items though. (Archi, Cinder, Guchi, Bufo, Huo etc)
    Trade you a Bufo pet for one of those. Either faction.

I need it to complete the rare spawn achievement for the Isle =(

I always seem to miss the spawn, and can never get it to spawn when I farm near the Horde base. I think tying rare mobs to spawn points for OTHER more common (and I mean probably 99% or more) is extremely frustrating.

Also, the pet is really good. I've seen a few people with it and I want one =(

Quote Originally Posted by minkage View Post
    What really drove me crazy about this mob was the fact I logged in on an alt 1 day and the crab was right in front of me. Killed it and got the pet.

The insane collect all the shit achieve isnt account wide and is one of the 5 items from the island im still missing.
    Is looting the pet or just having the pet the requirement for the achieve ? You can cheese Raiding With Leashes by having someone trade you those pets; you learn them, get your achieve, then give the pets back.

I'm guessing looting the pet, unless it's like the only non-BoA pet I've ever heard of.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

all i can say is, you havent experienced true timeless isle pain until youve seen Golgannar die right in front of your eyes just before you can tag him
    like i have
    and he's the last one i need. >_<

Deleted
    it's annoying, for sure, and the only reason you'll really want the kill for the pet is the 'going to need bigger bags' achievement, as you could just spend the time farming gold and buy the pet. Same goes for imperial python though.

Personally my most hated mob is the lime-lost proto drake, now with people from other servers in the zone due to cross realm zones, it's nigh impossible.

I've literally put weeks of in game time to getting the time-lost, and still don't have it >.<

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    I'm guessing looting the pet, unless it's like the only non-BoA pet I've ever heard of.
    Yes. Buying it or having someone trade it to you will not count towards the achievement. You have to loot the pet yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyd2 View Post
    all i can say is, you havent experienced true timeless isle pain until youve seen Golgannar die right in front of your eyes just before you can tag him. and he's the last one i need. >_<
    Camping the isle for 17 hours straight yet again, going to the toilet for a few minutes just to come back and see "1m" on RareCoordinator.

I only found out I have the Spineclaw Crab pet because of this thread...

I have NO idea when I got that, but it would of been several months ago as I didn't notice and I'm rarely at the Isle now.

Strange...I usually notice rare things.

If the Isle had more quests, it would be pretty good, I'm not a huge fan of pure grind achievements, not a long ass one like bags.

EDIT: Plus, isn't the crab one of the BETTER rares? Since it's affected by normal mobs, so just farm and it will spawn, unlike fixed respawns, they are much worse (As in, 8-12-+hours).
    Last edited by Toiran; 2014-02-16 at 11:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    After weeks of camping and killing this guy, two of them spawned at once, I thought "This is it, it's a sign, the pet is going to drop and I'm getting this achievement!"....... but no, of course I didn't get it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Toiran View Post
    EDIT: Plus, isn't the crab one of the BETTER rares? Since it's affected by normal mobs, so just farm and it will spawn, unlike fixed respawns, they are much worse (As in, 8-12-+hours).
    Nah, not really. Golganarr, for example, always spawns at the exact same location, and he is the only rare with such a long spawn timer. The others are all ~1h.

The crab, however, can spawn at three different locations - which are spread over the whole island. So if you are farming on spot A, and someone kills even one crab on spawn B, it could appear there - and since it has so low health, you'd never be able to make it there in time.
    So basically, you'll need to either make sure people are only killing crabs at your location (which obviously doesn't work), or you need to be lucky.

I only found out I have the Spineclaw Crab pet because of this thread...

I have NO idea when I got that, but it would of been several months ago as I didn't notice and I'm rarely at the Isle now.

Strange...I usually notice rare things.

If the Isle had more quests, it would be pretty good, I'm not a huge fan of pure grind achievements, not a long ass one like bags.

Pretty much every single rare on the island spawns in a fixed location and has a very small respawn window 45 mins - 1 hour 30 mins

The Spineclaw however has several spawn points and no rhyme or reason to its respawn time. You can spend 5 hours killing elite crabs without ever forcing a spawn or have 2 spawn at the same time.

Hi ! I want this pet... anyone wanna trade ?

Homophobia is so gay.

This system or spawning rares has to be one of the worst things in WoW currently, imo. I have killed the rare about 48 times and have yet to get the drop to finish the achievement, I don't know many regular crabs I've killed but it must be approaching tens of thousands. I cannot even count how many times the rare spawned too far away on the other end of the beach or by frogs and I had no chance to run there in time. For now, I gave up on the achievement after wasting many many days farming.

10+ Year Old Account

The crab pet is the only thing I need for the bigger bags achievement and it's been that way for 2-3 weeks now. Some days, last saturday for example, I've spent more than 10 hours hanging around the island grinding away at crabs and seen 1 rare spawn the entire day. In comparison, almost every other rare spawns on a timer of 30-60 minutes without fail, only exceptions being Rattleskew, the other elite-spawns like python, and Golganarr (who has a 100% drop rate on his item so doesn't really count).

I'd take camping Houlon any day over camping this crab. In those 10 hours I could have killed 10-20 houlons while completely AFK waiting for my addon to DING (and with a 30 minute window I can do anything else because it never spawns sooner than 30 mins). Instead I spent 10 hours grinding and grinding and grinding crabs (unable to turn away for more than 2-3 minutes cause who knows when it might spawn) only to get 1 single rare spawn all day and drop nothing.

Ugh... I hate this stupid mob. The Insane was a much easier grind than this.
    Last edited by Leih; 2014-02-22 at 04:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're trying to convince me that it's the hardest rare to farm, I'm not sure I can back that. TLPD is even more rare and doesn't share its sloot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Managed to find a group for the pet (Only for the achievement) a few months ago.

We were around 20 players killing everything on the beach and when one of us get the pet, he'd trade the pet to everyone 1 by 1 before learning it and we were relogging so the achievement would count as we received the pet.

After that we traded the owner the pet back and I went to the AH and bought it for 4k. =D
    | Realm First Monk | Dragonflight Beta Tester ( ty Blizzard! ) |