Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.

[Anime]MMORPG Anime

Recently it has come to light to me that there is a really good MMORPG based Anime, one where the writers actually must play one.
    It is called 'Log Horizon'.

But in the interest of making a thread about this new genre of Anime I feel we should discus them all, even make suggestions.

Any of the .//hack series, Sword Art Online, and Log Horizon. I'm sure there are many others, but these are probably the three most known.

10+ Year Old Account
    .//Hack was the first from what I know...Just wish they'd made the MMO as planned...

Anyways yep been loving Log Horizon myself.

Those are the only three I know of. Wish they all didn't rely on the whole "players trapped in the game" theme.

Not anime but there is a novel series called "Ready Player One" that revolves around an MMO. It's pretty good.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

Amatsuki it's a old anime back in 08. It's called No Game No life and it just got announced for this spring. Here is the video of it if you want to check it out.
    Last edited by Yami; 2013-12-30 at 07:14 AM.

Log Horizon is fantastic. Thinking the same thing: this is the first MMORPG anime where the writers must actually be avid MMO players and fans. The game they're playing is like a virtual reality evolution of Ultima Online.

The way they nail down guild and inter-player politics is pretty awesome, along with a focus on actual game mechanics, rather than a trumped up, shoehorned romance story, or a tremendously boring 'OMG IF WE DIE IN THE GAME WE DIE FOR REAL' trope that every other anime of this sort has dealt with.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Redmage View Post
    Those are the only three I know of. Wish they all didn't rely on the whole "players trapped in the game" theme.

Not anime but there is a novel series called "Ready Player One" that revolves around an MMO. It's pretty good.
    Log Horizon doesn't really dwell on the fact that they're trapped in the game. There's no permadeath to make the characters worry and get emo about, and the issue is pretty much sidestepped to focus on the game itself instead. Good choice on the part of the writers.

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Log Horizon is fantastic. Thinking the same thing: this is the first MMORPG anime where the writers must actually be avid MMO players and fans. The game they're playing is like a virtual reality evolution of Ultima Online.

The way they nail down guild and inter-player politics is pretty awesome, along with a focus on actual game mechanics, rather than a trumped up, shoehorned romance story, or a tremendously boring 'OMG IF WE DIE IN THE GAME WE DIE FOR REAL' trope that every other anime of this sort has dealt with.

- - - Updated - - -

Log Horizon doesn't really dwell on the fact that they're trapped in the game. There's no permadeath to make the characters worry and get emo about, and the issue is pretty much sidestepped to focus on the game itself instead. Good choice on the part of the writers.
    Most of that is focused on the LNS then the anime since the anime airs on a children's network in Japan in the Morning. Essentially we like a anime for kids. I am not going to go more in depth cause the rest will be spoilers. The LNs talk more in depth about the mmo mechanics as well and what can be done in the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    will nishikaze_no_ryodan version of log horizon get an anime? I dont like Shiro as the main character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yami View Post
    Amatsuki it's a old anime back in 08. It's called No Game No life and it just got announced for this spring. Here is the video of it if you want to check it out.
    Is that a loli I see?

Quote Originally Posted by NuLogic View Post
    Is that a loli I see?
    Yup I wasn't looking at the Loli though cause dat elf caught my eyes!

10+ Year Old Account
    Yup I wasn't looking at the Loli though cause dat elf caught my eyes!
    Well more loli for me!

10+ Year Old Account
    Not an anime but summer wars was good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    Not an anime but summer wars was good.

Summer Wars IS anime......

Also....Not set in an MMO by any means...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post

Summer Wars IS anime......

Also....Not set in an MMO by any means...
    Well the avatar system in Summer Wars was relatively similar to those present in MMO's, that and its consideribly better than the others mentioned.

Most of that is focused on the LNS then the anime since the anime airs on a children's network in Japan in the Morning. Essentially we like a anime for kids. I am not going to go more in depth cause the rest will be spoilers. The LNs talk more in depth about the mmo mechanics as well and what can be done in the game.
    I'll need to give them a read! Is there a reliable English translation anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    I'll need to give them a read! Is there a reliable English translation anywhere?
    There is but no pictures to go along with it sadly only words. https://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/i...le=Log_Horizon
    Also talks about dismembering bodies and implications of rape in it as well that can't be shown in the anime. Granted one episode talked about capturing people and such.

Deleted
    There is but no pictures to go along with it sadly only words. https://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/i...le=Log_Horizon
    Also talks about dismembering bodies and implications of rape in it as well that can't be shown in the anime. Granted one episode talked about capturing people and such.
    Damn censorship, it would really help to add a dark vibe to Log Horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by Meteoria View Post
    Damn censorship, it would really help to add a dark vibe to Log Horizon.
    Not censorship the Anime was made for kids. It's on a kids network has a morning air slot and is on a educational network that is funded by the government. The Network is called NHK if you are wondering.

Deleted
    Not censorship the Anime was made for kids. It's on a kids network has a morning air slot and is on a educational network that is funded by the government. The Network is called NHK if you are wondering.
    I see. Well either way it sucks.

Then again, I guess we may not have it as an anime if it weren't for the network.

Deleted
    the anime doesn't really need the darker stuff (or MMORPG explanations). The anime is splendid as is.
    Also, I'm grown up enough to enjoy watching a kids show

(btw, the noobtroupe in dungeon scenes fill my old heart with Vanilla WoW nostalgia)

Also, shove your fucking token where the monkey hides his bananas, MMOC