Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ...
    none of those are wow clones, Icathian

i hope wow does take some large hits this year. hopefully it lets them know to quit fucking with the formula. they deserve to lose people with some of the choices they're making this xpac.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    none of those are wow clones, Icathian
    They had the same camera style, nearly the same UI, similar questing systems etc, the only main differences was little gimmicks like how warhammer was pvp focused. When I played warhammer for the first time it felt like i was playing wow through a custom skin.

In their essence all of them tried to imitate wow's essence and gameplay but wasn't polished like wow. Specially warhammer. Out of all of them GW2 is the best, they did good in a lot of things but still didn't have the same polishing of wow.

Why did they hate TESO?

I have one major gripe with it but otherwise seemed like a decent game.

Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    Two friends I trust played TESO and both hated it. Like suggested not even giving it a try and thought it might launch as one of the worst MMO's in a while if major changes are not made.
    I think there have been enough "WoW challengers" that have come out, only to fail, that people may do as you are indicating and just stop even giving them a try. I know I'm in that boat now.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    I think there have been enough "WoW challengers" that have come out, only to fail, that people may do as you are indicating and just stop even giving them a try. I know I'm in that boat now.
    why does something have to "challenge WoW"? Why not play each game on its own merits?

This highlander attitude of "There can be only one" is really the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    I still give them a try, not because I hope to play some other MMO than WoW... but because MMOs have a chance to be something amazing and fun. Most MMOs follow the WoW philosophy which sucks because I don't want to play a WoW with a different paint. I'd rather just play WoW.

MMOs need to try something different in order for me to like them, if they do then they would probably just coexist with WoW not beat it.

Games that look promising are Star Citizen and Everquest next (Maybe Wildstar) and I'd probably play both of the games if I can. Problems with today's MMOs are that most AAA MMOs require a monthly fee and I can't afford to pay for two so If Everquest next is free, for example, I'd probably play WoW and that game.
    Last edited by StrayFox; 2014-01-03 at 07:12 PM.

I've played in a couple of the ESO beta events. And it is horrid.

It is a single player game with hundreds of other people in it. Imagine Skyrim with Barrens Chat and people killing your quest objectives. The game play is alright, if you liked Skyrim, I think the game is more suited for online co-op than MMORPG though.

I am interested in Wildstar though, hopefully some day I'll get a beta invite.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    why does something have to "challenge WoW"? Why not play each game on its own merits?

This highlander attitude of "There can be only one" is really the problem.
    The reason why people have that mentality is that these games have monthly fees.

I can play Assassin's Creed IV, Skyrim, Minecraft, Halo, and Need for Speed and with only having to pay for the game once. If I wanted to play Rift, Everquest, Wildstar, TESO, and WoW I can't do that because that would be like buying a game and a half every month ON TOP of buying the games themselves. Its just inconvenient. (FYI I'm stating if these games still had monthly fees.) Also its the developers faults for creating games that are extremely similar to WoW but slightly different. I'd rather play a well polished game that IS WoW than play a WoW with different colored paint.

I'd recommend making more MMOs free and less like WoW, then people would and could play both WoW and other MMOs and this whole "WoW killer" ideology will go away.

P.S MMOs are famous for requiring a lot of your time, which is another reason why people can only have one MMO to play. If another MMO comes out that is fun then people will switch to that one. Since MMOs take so much time there really can only be one top MMO unless they figure a way around that. (Which would make the game lose money.)
    Last edited by StrayFox; 2014-01-03 at 07:20 PM.

most games don't have a monthly fee

but I do agree that playing multiple games with monthly fees is not something most people won't do. I still maintain that the attitude of there can be only one is the wrong one to have though. I've been playing multiple mmos for a long time and I feel a lot happier for it. There is no pressure to find that holy grail of games.