Page 1 of 28
... LastLast
    Deleted

Exclamation 2014 is going to be a harsh year for World of Warcraft

Before I start - this isn't a "WoW is dying" thread and I don't want to start any fanboy flame war. I enjoy MoP, it's the best expansion so far for me and I can't wait to play WoD but I have to say that year 2014 is going to be really harsh for World of Warcraft.

1. No new content until spring/summer

I hope we will get some info about WoD beta release date in january but let's be honest - not everyone is going to be invited to the beta and people like myself won't play it because I don't want to destroy my impression until the release of the final version. And we all know that no new content = subs go down. People don't want to do SoO for another half of year.

2. The Elder Scrolls Online

TES: Online is going to be released on April 4th, so yeah, WoW will lose even more subs. And I know that in the past there was a lot of "WoW killers" and all those games went F2P after 2-3 months because no one played them. But what if TES will be a good MMO? Well c'mon, it's silly that for almost 10 years there is only one good MMO on the whole market and other games can't even compete with it. I want to see a new MMO at least as good as WoW.

3. Wildstar

Yep, another new MMO game, coming out in spring. From what I've seen so far it looks really promising. It's made by Carbine (quote from Wikipedia):

Carbine's founders were 17 former members of Blizzard Entertainment's World of Warcraft core development team. Since then they have attracted key talent from award-winning games such as Diablo II, StarCraft, Metroid Prime, Fallout (video game), Everquest, City of Heroes, Half Life 2 and many of other successful titles. The company was announced by NCSOFT in 2007.

Will they make a successful MMO? We have to wait and see but of course this means that WoW subs will go even more down.

So what are your conclusions? Is WoD going to bring millions of players back to WoW? Or at the end of 2014 there will be less than 5 millions subscribers?

Dicuss.
    Last edited by mmocfee4aa7b34; 2013-12-31 at 03:58 AM.

TL;DR more "wow killers" on the way. same post different year.

Blackwing Heroine BlackwingHecate's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganker View Post
    Before I start - this isn't a "WoW is dying" thread and I don't want to start any fanboy flame war. I enjoy MoP, it's the best expansion so far for me and I can't wait to play WoD but I have to say that year 2014 is going to be really harsh for World of Warcraft.

I hope we will get some info about WoD beta release date in january but let's be honest - not everyone is going to be invited to the beta and people like myself won't play it because I don't want to destroy my impression until the release of the final version. And we all know that no new content = subs go down. People don't want to do SoO for another half of year.

TES: Online is going to be released on April 4th, so yeah, WoW will lose even more subs. And I know that in the past there was a lot of "WoW killers" and all those games went F2P after 2-3 months because no one played them. But what if TES will be a good MMO? Well c'mon, it's silly that for almost 10 years there is only one good MMO on the whole market and other games can't even compete with it. I want to see a new MMO at least as good as WoW.

3. Wildstar

Yep, another new MMO game, coming out in spring. From what I've seen so far it looks really promising. It's made by Carbine (quote from Wikipedia):

Will they make a successful MMO? We have to wait and see but of course this means that WoW subs will go even more down.

So what are your conclusions? Is WoD going to bring millions of players back to WoW? Or at the end of 2014 there will be less than 5 millions subscribers?

Dicuss.
    Why ON EARTH would anyone who worked on City Of Heroes work with NCSoft again?
    Nostalgia is the hollow remnants of memories long gone.

-Kaito Kumon (Kamen Rider Baron)

They will lose subs till WoD then they will get a bunch of subs,then they will start losing subs again. Same as its been for years. Not much to discuss really.

10+ Year Old Account
    In your fish aquarium eating your fish flakes. NOM NOM

3. Wildstar

Dicuss.
    1. Out of all your problems i see that one as the only one that might actually affect subscribers. But they will gain them back with the new xpack like they always do

2. Elder scrolls is gonna be another SWTOR in terms of gameplay, they arnt doing anything special.

3. Wildstar will probably have GW2 level of success, it will do well for itself. But it wont affect wow's numbers

I think it all boils down to wow actually has its own playerbase that is only interested in one mmo : wow. People like you and me that play other mmos are in the minority among the wow population.
    Torchlight II Vanilla Player
    Looking for a vanilla only group?

http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=40739

Oes noes, there's a content gap between expansions! Surely this spells the end!

And on the horizon... WOW KILLERS! What is this, 2009?

Subs will probably decline, the game's almost a decade old. As long as I like the game, I don't give a shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am not impressed with Wildstar...

I actually think Everquest Next will do well, but it won't be out until 2015 or something crazy. Landmark I don't really see competing with these mmos at least at first. It might pick back up again after Wildstar and ESO cool down a bit and people reach max level. I think EQ will be a bit more popular in the long run then people anticipate though. I mean a gigantic advanced 3D minecraft where you get to game design and then a game that comes out after that which is built by developers and crowd sourced by a gigantic gaming community? If done right it will rock, but you know... it likely wont be ha. Prospects of money will likely blind them.
    "Punching things is cool and stuff. Pow bam bam bam Pow. O yah... God I'm eloquent." -Dalai Lama

Not saying its a wow killer or anything. I dont think anything will really "kill" wow. But im in the wildstar beta and I can say that everyone is going to be surprised by how awesome of a game it is. I know its new and fresh and everything, but I think this game really has a lot to offer. It will definitely thrive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Get your head out of your ass and look at how old WoW is. That is the reason subs still bleed out. For it's age and success it is fine and is going to be fine. Whether the new games flop or are a smash hit will not largely affect WoW.

Elder Scrolls Online sucks. Not even worth playing if it was F2P and free to download, let alone $60 and a $15 subscription fee. lolz

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Oes noes, there's a content gap between expansions! Surely this spells the end!

And on the horizon... WOW KILLERS! What is this, 2009?

Subs will probably decline, the game's almost a decade old. As long as I like the game, I don't give a shit.
    A "Wow Killer" is not the right term, I think it is more of a slow song helping wow kill itself.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

15+ Year Old Account
    I have the feeling those who were against MoP for being "too childish" will have the same prejudice with Wildstar.

It'll be a HUGE surprise if it turns out any good. Now it looks more like "Hey, guys, almost every popular universe has its own MMO, let's do something for TES".
    LF something funny to place here.

English isn't my native, sorry for possible mistakes

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Mercury View Post
    Get your head out of your ass and look at how old WoW is. That is the reason subs still bleed out. For it's age and success it is fine and is going to be fine. Whether the new games flop or are a smash hit will not largely affect WoW.
    Did I say that WoW is a new, fresh game you retard? Learn to read. I've said that it's silly that for almost ten years WoW dominates the MMO market and not a single other MMO can even compete with it.

Mod Edit: Please don't insult other members.
    Last edited by mmoc99cfbcce04; 2013-12-31 at 08:26 AM.

I have high hopes for WOD (even though I may not play it due to IRL) now that they have some of the older developers/writers etc back from Titan. But, I think competition and a bit of hardship is good. Let them feel some pressure, and see how they combat it. They have plenty up their sleeve, it's just a matter of "when is the best time to release it".
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

WoW will always be around, but I think this year could be the tipping point where WoW starts to slowly decline down towards the numbers of some other mmos. They'll still be on top though. However, in a few years I think there will be a new top.
    "Punching things is cool and stuff. Pow bam bam bam Pow. O yah... God I'm eloquent." -Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    A "Wow Killer" is not the right term, I think it is more of a slow song helping wow kill itself.
    Okay so there are no truly accurate stats for all this, but check out these two graphs from MMOData:

Look at the green WoW line and compare it to the total subs line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

as someone who was in the beta for ESO i can tell the game is horrible and still feels way too much like a single player game. it will not do well. yeah, i could be wrong, but i doubt it highly.

they'll have to prove me wrong.

wildstar, on the other hand, looks to be super impressive. will it kill wow. fuck no. blizzard's doing a wonderful job of that on their own.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    They will lose subs till WoD then they will get a bunch of subs,then they will start losing subs again. Same as its been for years. Not much to discuss really.
    expansions like BC to LK would like to disagree with you.

these subs lost are likely not to return.

yeah, blizzard is digging themselves quite a big hole, but i mainly think it's because of the age of the game more than anything.

cya back here when they go f2p lol