Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoneseek View Post
    Can you guys show me the stats on gw2's low playerbase? Genuinely interested as so many people seem to think the game is low on players even though there is constantly a queue to get into the event zones.
    Maybe GW2 doesn't have great servers, hence why there's a queue.

If 100 people want to do an event, it may cause a queue, but it certainly doesn't mean the game is swimming in players.

As for player numbers, they bragged when they had sold 1 million copies, bragged when they hit 2 million copies, bragged with they hit 3 million copies...and they haven't said a word about sales since, meaning sales likely haven't hit 4 million yet. Even if you pretend for a minute that every single person who bought the game is still playing, you're still dealing with HALF the amount of players WoW has...and the fact of the matter is, a lot of people who bought the game AREN'T still playing it.

And one last thing about perception-let's say a game has 500k players(SWTOR has this many or more, and it keeps getting tossed around as a "failure" in this thread afterall). That's not a huge number of players, at least by WoW's standards. But if the game has 25k players or more logged on at any given time, it's certainly going to seem busy and active to the people playing it(like SWTOR and Rift alway do when I log on).
    Last edited by Stormcall; 2014-01-03 at 06:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarch the Conqueror View Post
    Some people in the video industry seem to claim it'll most likely also get a PC release. Some youtube game (p)reviewers also claimed this. Obviously we won't know for sure until Bungie confirms it officially themselves, but most people seem to be convinced that more than likely it'll be released on PC too.
    You could seriously give a septic tank a run for its money. "Some people" "seem to claim"? Which people? How do you "seem to claim" something? You state that we won't know for sure until an official announcement, but that didn't stop you a few posts earlier from stating that Destiny was going to be a later PC release. Is that how you "seem to claim" something as fact?

Of all the people posting in this thread, almost every one of your posts reeks of self-important, vapid bullshit. You aren't "in the know". Just stop.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is where we'll have to disagree then. You seem rather uninformed and not very up-to-date about the movings and shakings of the video industry, and with that your opinion is very suitable for this thread, as it's a load of ignorant opinions. There are 5 major MMO releases planned for 2014, most people in this thread only seem to be able to name two at best.

But at least you're getting some points for not pretending to have played ESO beta and claiming it's bad like the others who posted extraneous and unfounded replies so far.
    ESO is awesome!

also what are the other 2 mmo's? i know of Everquest and wildstar but what else is there
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

The problem with new MMO's that have come out (some that have been very good) is that it's very hard to gain and keep a fan base. IMO, that's what it really boils down to. If you can't gain and keep people, it isn't going to survive long.

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    ESO is awesome!

also what are the other 2 mmo's? i know of Everquest and wildstar but what else is there
    ESO, Wildstar, Destiny, EQN, WoD

Edit: Maybe Star Citizen..... maybe

15+ Year Old Account
    Wildstarr looks like utter rubbish.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MCBGamer View Post

i wouldn't count WoD since its just an expansion and Star citizen.... I'd be surprised if its in beta by christmas
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    i wouldn't count WoD since its just an expansion and Star Citizen.... I'd be surprised if its in beta by christmas
    I will agree about both of those cases and at this point I am hesitant to even include Star Citizen..... like it or not the Developers themselves have said the game is pay to win and that is a nightmare waiting to happen when it releases.

ESO is going to be SWToR 2.0 (which I actually enjoyed mind you, until the first content patch with a grand 4 or 5 bosses..lolol)

Wildstar claims to be some fresh breath of air for MMOs, but the only thing they have on the table is 40 man raids (which one could argue isnt even a good thing..but thats a different debate). I tried several of the paths and classes, and its the same shit. "Oh but the paths are different and diverse and stuff!!!" Not really...by the 2nd zone as an explorer I must of jumping-puzzled my way up 10 trees, most of which used the same/similiar models / paths. Its the same shit GW2 tried to boast with its "dynamic questing". Instead of a yellow ! to tell me what to do, I just happen to notified of said thing to do the second I enter the nearby area. I mean atleast most of GW2's jumping puzzles were unique and some (Goonies pirate ship ftw) were just flat out amazing. I hope it gets interesting but I'm not holding my breath either.

10+ Year Old Account
    I will agree about both of those cases and at this point I am hesitant to even include Star Citizen..... like it or not the Developers themselves have said the game is pay to win and that is a nightmare waiting to happen when it releases.
    Well i've already got 3 ships for SC

This is where we'll have to disagree then. You seem rather uninformed and not very up-to-date about the movings and shakings of the video industry, and with that your opinion is very suitable for this thread, as it's a load of ignorant opinions. There are 5 major MMO releases planned for 2014, most people in this thread only seem to be able to name two at best.
    One could argue that if most people on a gaming forum can't name "5 major MMO releases", perhaps those releases aren't as "major" as you think they are?

10+ Year Old Account
    I love that there are people here honestly defending ESO.

I've played the beta and its just Skyrim with other players. The main story is a glorified single player experience, and there is absolutely NO endgame. None!

>B-but its got the entire continent of Tamriel!
    Every place is about as big as Uldum.
    >B-but so many things to explore!!!
    You'll most likely run out of things to see because everything is so tiny.
    >B-but big pvp battles because of MEGASERVER!!
    lol ok enjoy that

Don't forget: Altmer being yellow was a "transcription error", and all of the mainseries TES games were all folklore.

Wildstar's 40 mans will kill the game's endgame before it even gets off the ground. The only people who liked 40 mans were people who never did them/didn't do much in them. Anyone who isn't blinded by nostalgia will tell you that it was a huge pain in the dick to get these rolling every week. Not to mention the 10-15 people who just /follow and /afk'd.

As for it's aesthetics, its got an okay artstyle, but the character models have already been blown out of the water by WoD's remodels.

>this kills the wildstar
    whatever man

Quote Originally Posted by Feefel View Post
    Anyone who isn't blinded by nostalgia will tell you that it was a huge pain in the dick to get these rolling every week. Not to mention the 10-15 people who just /follow and /afk'd.
    So damn true. As a guild officer and co-raid lead in late 2005 through late 2006, the biggest challenge of 40 man raiding wasn't the bosses, it was logistics and interpersonal garbage that happened on a daily basis. Trying to regularly run 40 mans was like listening to 10 kids screaming "MOM HE'S TOUCHING ME" while dealing with a bunch of other kids complaining about wanting a new toy or others complaining about wanting to do something else.

In contrast, the PVE bosses were tame.

Wildstar has made absolutely no bones about catering to a specific niche. Essentially they want to cater to a vanilla WoW type of player while providing a side of Borderlands-esque humor. That would be great back if this were 2007 or 2008. Now it's too little, too late. It may have a lot of people trying it out during the first month but by the 6 month mark I'll be shocked if they're retaining 200k subs.
    Last edited by Captiosus; 2014-01-03 at 10:51 AM.

But at least you're getting some points for not pretending to have played ESO beta and claiming it's bad like the others who posted extraneous and unfounded replies so far.
    Yes, I saw already where you decided that people who didn't care for the ESO beta were lying about having played it. This is one of the key points that alerted me that you simply don't know what you're talking about and happily wear blinders to feel secure in your ignorance; because I actually posted much earlier in this thread about having played the last two ESO beta events and simply not being impressed with it to the extent that I felt it would be any competition for WoW. I don't have a need to fabricate in order to derive an illusory sense of superiority.

But, I like how you decided that my calling you out on your bullshit meant that I'm uninformed about the state of up and coming titles, particularly when part of that was me asking you for some solid proof of your claims. Keep living with blinders on (your avatar is more appropriate than I think you realize) and believing that you've got your finger on the pulse of all things, but you'd be doing the rest of us a favor if you'd kindly dial down the bullshit or failing that, just shut the hell up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Feefel View Post
    I love that there are people here honestly defending ESO.

I've played the beta and its just Skyrim with other players. The main story is a glorified single player experience, and there is absolutely NO endgame. None!

No end-game content? You're just another idiot that didn't play beta but you're claming that ESO is bad. Quote from TESO topic on MMO-Champion:

Adventure Zones (12 man Raids), Master Dungeons (Heroic Dungeons), 50+(+) content (do harder versions of the other factions content), the Alliance War (massive PvP) and Veteran Point system. There are smaller PvE activities, but these are the main ones in the game.
    Keep it civil please.
    Last edited by Zaelsino; 2014-01-03 at 05:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    They will lose subs till WoD then they will get a bunch of subs,then they will start losing subs again. Same as its been for years. Not much to discuss really.
    pretty much.

Wows now an open wound, and even when the devs apply a wrapping in the form of an expansion, it still bleeds.
    #boycottchina

Played TESO and it sucked ass, so don't worry about that game.

If blizzard releases the expansion in spring or early summer they should be fine... any later and subs will drop like flies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Maybe GW2 doesn't have great servers, hence why there's a queue.

If 100 people want to do an event, it may cause a queue, but it certainly doesn't mean the game is swimming in players.

As for player numbers, they bragged when they had sold 1 million copies, bragged when they hit 2 million copies, bragged with they hit 3 million copies...and they haven't said a word about sales since, meaning sales likely haven't hit 4 million yet. Even if you pretend for a minute that every single person who bought the game is still playing, you're still dealing with HALF the amount of players WoW has...and the fact of the matter is, a lot of people who bought the game AREN'T still playing it.

And one last thing about perception-let's say a game has 500k players(SWTOR has this many or more, and it keeps getting tossed around as a "failure" in this thread afterall). That's not a huge number of players, at least by WoW's standards. But if the game has 25k players or more logged on at any given time, it's certainly going to seem busy and active to the people playing it(like SWTOR and Rift alway do when I log on).
    You could have saved a lot of typing by just saying you didn't have a clue and leaving it at that. The same message would have been portrayed. And for the record - the queued zones are swimming with players. I haven't played wow in over a year but when I did, most of the game world was completely empty, and that was on a busy server.

The Division

probably my most anticipated game. Not sure if you can call it an mmo but it certainly has a lot of traits of an mmo.

10+ Year Old Account
    The concept of a "wow killer" is what kills the MMO genre to begin with.

The first thing everyone does when a new MMO shows up is to point at it and say "Would this be the REAL WoW killer???!??/" Putting a immense stress on the developers, making them stay with this idea of "we gotta make this be better than wow" which just generates wow clone after wow clone that either die or go f2p.

That's why EVE online was and still is a very popular mmo, because it's -DIFFERENT- it's not yet another wow clone.

When i saw pictures of Warhammer online, SWTOR, Conan, GW2 etc ad nauseum just by looking at pictures i could see that it was games trying to suck subs from wow and failing at it, pretty much doomed from the start. And so it happened.

MMO needs something fresh. Maybe a racing MMO? Sports MMO? Shooter MMO (firefall looks promising) Even a non "wowkiller" MMORPG would be good. But PLEASE for the love of god, stop trying to imitate world of warcraft.