10+ Year Old Account

Playing on a TV Question

So, I have this build I wanted to run with, and I was curious about monitors. I ran out of money for one, so I will have to use my old one for the time being. Then I thought oh hey this bigass tv I never use :P.

I believe it's 1080p 40" screen, 60hz, I got it in 2009, so I'm not positive on it's specs but I'm curious if this build will run perfectly fine on it or not.
    I will be playing World of Warcraft on it only pretty much, looking to raid in 25mans on Ultra, 20mans in WoD. Other games aren't even on my mind yet.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($194.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.97 @ TigerDirect)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($79.98 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($97.99 @ Mac Mall)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($249.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($90.43 @ TigerDirect)
    Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit) ($94.98 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1095.28
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-30 23:10 EST-0500)

So can I use my tv, til I can get an good IPS monitor?

It should run it fine, but be warned that if you're gonna be sitting close up it's gonna look pretty crappy.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

10+ Year Old Account
    hmm, I may be able to sit a little further away from it, the tv generates so much heat though, idk if I could handle that lol. Thanks for the quick response though.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the TV has HDMI (probably) and your graphics card has HDMI (it does) you're good to go.

The TV may have other DVI-blah blah or VGA connectors on it too. Don't worry about those. Get a cheap HDMI cable (cheap is fine over short distances) and hook them up.

Look at the sticker on the back of the TV, google it's model number, find it's native resolution and try to set to exactly that in the monitor properties on your PC. I have a TV here a little older and smaller than that I think and it is 1366x768. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by KoolKidKaos View Post
    hmm, I may be able to sit a little further away from it, the tv generates so much heat though, idk if I could handle that lol. Thanks for the quick response though.
    No probs, I generally advise against playing on a tv but there are ways to make it work.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Conzar View Post
    If the TV has HDMI (probably) and your graphics card has HDMI (it does) you're good to go.

The TV may have other DVI-blah blah or VGA connectors on it too. Don't worry about those. Get a cheap HDMI cable (cheap is fine over short distances) and hook them up.

Look at the sticker on the back of the TV, google it's model number, find it's native resolution and try to set to exactly that in the monitor properties on your PC. I have a TV here a little older and smaller than that I think and it is 1366x768. Good luck!
    Woot! http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN40B5.../dp/B002SXMRIU
    Shockingly I was correct about everything lol, and it does have an HDMI, I should have an cable somewhere.

Thanks for that bit of info, I actually didn't even think about the model number.

And yeah, I played on a tv once before, only watching movies was awesome :P. My current pc, just couldn't handle it, it got real loud when I had it plugged up. I probably connected it wrong lol.
    Last edited by KoolKidKaos; 2013-12-31 at 04:58 AM.

Deleted
    Only tyhing I'd change is to get the i5-4670k. That way, when you can upgrade the cooler, you'll be able to eke out some more performance later on.

Deleted
    Remember to turn on superblack/full RGB on the tv and pc to get proper image quality.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tenangrychickens View Post
    Only tyhing I'd change is to get the i5-4670k. That way, when you can upgrade the cooler, you'll be able to eke out some more performance later on.
    I actually did get the 4670k, I could of sworn I got the 4570, hmm now I'm starting to realize why I was short on my monitor :P