Deleted

Question motherboard help please

hey guys.

my mate was given a mobo from his work today and from what i can see from it it is this one

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8H67M/

as on the board it says P8H67-M rev 3.00

he has an ivy bridge 17 and i know on the asus site it says this is for sandy bridge, can he use his ivy bridge 17 with it or is it useless. the CPU that came out of it was a i5 2320.. i seen on some places online that the rev 3 could be used with ivy bridge with a bios update. is this true??

if you need pics of it to confirm the model etc. i can get them added for you. but im sure it is the same as that pic he is looking to rebuild his system tomorrow now he has this, so could someone please help me out so i can advise him of its a go ahead or not??
    Last edited by mmoc0438bebda2; 2013-12-31 at 06:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    1) I'm not sure what an "Ivy Bridge 17" is. Do you man an i7? If he has an i7 (And which one, for that mattr), what is it being used in now, or is that CPU just laying around?
    Last edited by chazus; 2013-12-31 at 06:34 PM.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Is his cpu in the supported cpu list? It lists several 3k i3-7's

10+ Year Old Account
    Amusingly, I was going to check the CPU support list... and if you look up the board on asus.com, it wont load the list, but if you load it from support.asus.com, it does.

Anyway, it supports both the i7-3770, and i7-3770K, however requires a BIOS update first most likely, and the 3770k won't overclock on that board. Previous questions remain.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by foil View Post
    Is his cpu in the supported cpu list? It lists several 3k i3-7's
    where did you see the list??

its a ivy bridge i7-3770. the same processor as i have this is the screen grab he just sent me from his machine.

the i7 is currently in a stock lenovo board which he is pissed off to f*uk with as none of the case connectors he has (in a antec 11 hundred case) connect properly as the board is made for the lenovo case it came in
    Last edited by mmoc0438bebda2; 2013-12-31 at 06:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't bother, then, as he'll likely need to reinstall windows and everything, on top of a bios update, on top of using an older board/chipset. He honestly should just deal with it, and figure out what goes where, as that will take 3 minutes, as opposed to hours and reinstalling evrything.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I wouldn't bother, then, as he'll likely need to reinstall windows and everything, on top of a bios update, on top of using an older board/chipset. He honestly should just deal with it, and figure out what goes where, as that will take 3 minutes, as opposed to hours and reinstalling evrything.
    he doesnt mind reinstalling windows and only has a few programs on pc mostly uses it for games, which are all stored on separate hard drive.

in regards to the bios update if he put his i7 into the board as it is now, would it still power up etc and then he can update from there or would it not recognize the cpu

10+ Year Old Account
    Hit or miss. Sometimes it might post and boot, and recognize it as another CPU, sometimes it wont turn on.

Just for reference, he'd still need to reinstall games even if they're on another drive

Deleted
    Hit or miss. Sometimes it might post and boot, and recognize it as another CPU, sometimes it wont turn on.

Just for reference, he'd still need to reinstall games even if they're on another drive
    That depends on whether they're from Steam or not. If they are, he can login and point Steam to the games, then run Verify Cache to repair them.

Deleted
    well he didnt install the mobo today as i got him to look at the boards specs and see if his ram he currently has in the lenovo board (the ram that came with it) is compatible. and he wasnt to sure if it was, and neither am i. i dont think it is but can someone please inform me if im right or not??

this is a screen dump i done for him of the type of ram he has running at the moment. all 4 slots on the board have the same sticks in them..

is this compatible or will he need a different set of ram to run with the board, even after a bios update is done to make his i7 run in it

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tenangrychickens View Post
    That depends on whether they're from Steam or not. If they are, he can login and point Steam to the games, then run Verify Cache to repair them.
    and yes 99% of the games are steam and origin so they aint a problem, just as said point the program to where the games are and verify them..

10+ Year Old Account
    The ram is fine. I still wouldn't recommend it over a few wires that could have just been plugged in the right place by now.. But if he really wants to, and reinstall and everything, and also make sure bios updates are done, and hope it posts... roll it.

Deleted
    The ram is fine. I still wouldn't recommend it over a few wires that could have just been plugged in the right place by now.. But if he really wants to, and reinstall and everything, and also make sure bios updates are done, and hope it posts... roll it.
    he is gonna ask in work tomrrow if the cpu and ram has been chucked out so he can put them in and maybe try and update the bios from there before putting his i7 in. tho can i ask is updating a motherboard bios easy or can it be fucked up and the board ruined. if it can be done, how do you do it???

10+ Year Old Account
    It can be easy, depending on the board. And yes, it can be fucked up/ruined, too. It's usually hard to do, but can be. If you or he doesn't know how to... there are directions, but read them VERY thoroughly.