Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    maybe because the character of Smaug came from the works of one of the greatest fictional writers of our time, and fleshed out by decent writers into a film adapted version of himself, people who actually cared more about character, then say game makers who take there ques from comic books they read as teenagers.

Blizzard writers, while they use to have some effort in there characters, you know, when it was more about the story then the game, now its just about the game.
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamyz View Post
    Cata was years ago, isn't it time to get over it already?
    I lost 6 million of my best friends because of Cata. I will NEVER forgive Blizz for that.
    -I lost 6 million of my best friends because of Cataclysm. I will NEVER forgive Blizz for that.
    -There ain't enough tequila in the universe to forget the insanity I experienced with Mists of Pandaria.

Quote Originally Posted by Dooney View Post
    They already copied Lotr, what's the diff?
    everything copies lotr to one extent or another

10+ Year Old Account
    Deathwing was a bit like Smaug before Cataclysm, where he'd completely lost his mind. At least, like Smaug in terms of being arrogant and self-aggrandizing. Otherwise he was way more proactive than Smaug was.

Smaug isn't really a character that compels a lot of conflict - he's a greedy braggart who prefers snoozing on his ill-gotten gains, not going out into the world to conduct earth-shattering affairs. He only does something in the Hobbit after others provoke him out of their own avarice.

Deathwing wouldn't have been a compelling villain if he just sat in a cave for the entire expansion - even Nefarian and Onyxia had plans and schemes that reached far beyond their own lairs.

Deleted
    to OP:

Becouse wow has NOTHING to do with the hobbit..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    Because that would involve Blizzard being able to travel back in time after seeing Smaug visualized on big screen, writing Deathwing to be exactly like him, then getting into legal trouble with the owners of the Hobbit IP.
    What, does LOTR have a trademark on "intelligent dragon?" Blizzard got away with putting in "the 1 ring" as an item, pretty sure they'd have enough leeway to have put in a dragon with a personality without the Tolkien estate crying havoc.

They just needed to make Deathwing like Nefarian.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Which version of Smaug? The new CGI version or the animated version?

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    maybe because the character of Smaug came from the works of one of the greatest fictional writers of our time, and fleshed out by decent writers into a film adapted version of himself, people who actually cared more about character, then say game makers who take there ques from comic books they read as teenagers.

Blizzard writers, while they use to have some effort in there characters, you know, when it was more about the story then the game, now its just about the game.
    Haha. When was exactly this time where Blizzard was more about writing than designing games?

Deleted
    Deathwing should have been like he was in Day of the Dragon.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    Deathwing was a bit like Smaug before Cataclysm, where he'd completely lost his mind. At least, like Smaug in terms of being arrogant and self-aggrandizing. Otherwise he was way more proactive than Smaug was.

Smaug isn't really a character that compels a lot of conflict - he's a greedy braggart who prefers snoozing on his ill-gotten gains, not going out into the world to conduct earth-shattering affairs. He only does something in the Hobbit after others provoke him out of their own avarice.

Deathwing wouldn't have been a compelling villain if he just sat in a cave for the entire expansion - even Nefarian and Onyxia had plans and schemes that reached far beyond their own lairs.
    i don't know much about the hobbit, but didn't he just go out and kill a shitload of dwarves and take over their kingdom, just because he wanted all their treasure? sounds like a character compelling some conflict to me. that was his goal, he succeeded and decided to chill after that. if deathwing succeeded in his goal, who knows, maybe he would of chilled in a cave as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanzlee View Post
    i don't know much about the hobbit, but didn't he just go out and kill a shitload of dwarves and take over their kingdom, just because he wanted all their treasure? sounds like a character compelling some conflict to me. that was his goal, he succeeded and decided to chill after that. if deathwing succeeded in his goal, who knows, maybe he would of chilled in a cave as well.
    Well, I am comparing it to Deathwing's global campaign of mass devastation - tearing open the elemental planes, summoning eldritch abominations, leading the charge of an army of dragons and monsters, etc.

Smaug slept in his lair for decades after driving the dwarves away and no one wanted to attack him because it was easier and safer to just have him sleeping there doing nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanzlee View Post
    If Deathwing had succeeded, the Old Gids would've killed him along with every other dragon (and living thing; aside from the Twilight dragons) on the planet. We see that future in both the Hour of Twilight (instance) and in the novel Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects, wherein Ysera details her vision of the future should they fail.

king joffery... lamest character in GoT

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Veredyn View Post
    Smaug is the original treasure-hoarding dragon. Deathwing was just an idiot.
    I'd say theres a difference between an idiot and a powerhungry super dragon gone insane.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    everything copies lotr to one extent or another
    To some extent, but in this case more like a Xerox machine was used.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Koreche View Post
    Joffery is delightfully irritating. Can't wait for his wedding next season.
    -I lost 6 million of my best friends because of Cataclysm. I will NEVER forgive Blizz for that.
    -There ain't enough tequila in the universe to forget the insanity I experienced with Mists of Pandaria.

I remember watching the Cataclysm cinematic thinking, "wow Deathwing is badass".

Shame, I never once thought that actually playing Cataclysm. In fact, his character was so pointless and bland I'm pretty sure your could have invented any random black dragon and had the same effect. He was only there because Blizzard needed a name fans knew to pull in more subs.

Meh, I'd rather they not go the total insane mental take over route nd let him stay somewhat the same as he was in previous versions. What happened to the not so crazy powerful being sitting and smokin a hookah with Thrall?

edit: proof

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by laggspike View Post
    to OP:
    Becouse wow has NOTHING to do with the hobbit..
    Issue too dense for you. Smaug was animated, whilst Deathwing was scales and claws and a bit of fire.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    I remember watching the Cataclysm cinematic thinking, "wow Deathwing is badass".
    Shame, I never once thought that actually playing Cataclysm. In fact, his character was so pointless and bland I'm pretty sure your could have invented any random black dragon and had the same effect. He was only there because Blizzard needed a name fans knew to pull in more subs.
    Ah, there's the rub. I expected a higher threat level from Deathwing save randomly getting burned from the sky.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like Smaug, he kills a bunch of dwarves including the dumb ass leader.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Koreche View Post
    Joff is awesome. He had uglies beat each other with maces lol that was hysterical.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by purebalance View Post
    So basically what you're saying is blizzard was damned either way? Right?

Since all the posts when cata was announced said it was 100% impossible for us to fight deathwing face to face due to his sheer size etc even with pictures showing the avg humanoid from Azeroth vs him.

Cata did DW just fine. Both he and Illidan were not some super duper story that was ruined by Blizz.
    It wasn't impossible. They just didn't want to do it.