Games with skill/stat point based systems?

Hello everyone!.

I'd like you guys to recommend me some games with skill/stat point based systems (For PC). To narrow the options a bit, I'm looking for something like Skyrim that lets me make a character the way I want it, with different viable options (not like Dark Souls, where pretty much every build has to use weapon+shield). It can be an MMORPG, like, maybe Maplestory but more balanced, I say Maplestory because it has exactly what I'm looking for, stat and skill point system. Problem is, in Maple Story there isn't much to try out, you don't have many options. It can be a single player like Skyrim...
    Also, I'd like for it to be free, but other games are also welcome even if they are not free, specially if they are on Steam.

Things I DON'T want : Shooters, sci-fi stuff and no dungeon crawlers, unless they are something really different from the usual Torchlight II or PoE...

Not sure if I'm being a little to vague here... basically, fantasy RPG with point based systems where I can go the usual mage,warrior,rogue,etc, but also let's me be creative and play it other ways (rogue-mages, warrior-mages, you get the idea). It doesn't have to be as free as Skyrim, a class system also works as long as I can put points in stuff and decide how to play that class in a viable way even if it's not the usual cookie-cutter build that everyone uses.

Thanks! Happy New Year!

So... pre-MOP wow? :P

Anything based on D&D, pretty much will do it (all the various Neverwinter titles, for instance).
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Umm something that isn't a dungeon crawler so there goes 90%....

Well you can try....reading a book

Deleted
    Runescape?

Deleted
    fallout is worth ago, mechanics wise its up your street

Doesn't Rift have a skill point based system still like the old WoW trees?

I am not sure what you mean by "dungeon crawlers" because Path of Exile and Torchlight 2 are not dungeons crawlers. Something like DDO would be a dungeon crawler that happens to fit a lot of the criteria you are asking for here. Including being rather different from other MMOs.

Short of that, I would recommend Rift, Guild Wars 1 and Dragon Age Origins [sp].

Rift is free, no bullshit free, and as well made a 2nd era MMO as has ever been released.

Guild Wars 1 is old. Buy 2 play, no ongoing fee. But it's very complex and can be played forever solo or with friends.

Dragon Age is also buy 2 play. Single player game. Okay game- but it does offer a lot of what you seem to be looking for.

10+ Year Old Account
    skillpoint/attribute system would be most if not all rpgs..

champions of norrath is an oldie but that had both i think

im sure theres an emulator for it

15+ Year Old Account
    Star wars is not bad as it is free to play.

I an bit sure what you mean by dungeon crawler but take a look at titan's quest.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Star wars is not bad as it is free to play.
    Don't think that's what he's looking for. He wants to be able to be able to make hybrid builds like rogue-mages and mage-warriors. In SWTOR, you can be a warrior, but you're doing to be a melee warrior no matter what-you can tank or dps, but you're not gonna make a warrior that can stealth like a rogue, or heal, or be a real threat at range, it's a lot like WoW pretty much. With some classes you can make a sorta okay tank/dps hybrid or a heal/dps hybrid, but that's the closest you'll get to it, and from the OPs post, I don't think that's what he's looking for. Guild Wars 1 seems to be something like what he had in mind...assuming you have all the campaigns, you have 10 classes to choose from, and you can choose any of the other 10 as your secondary class. So you really can have a "warrior-mage" who carries a sword and shield, and can also cast Firestorms, or you can make a ranger/dervish, who carries a scythe, and fights in melee alongside his pet, etc. Some pairings do work better than others, but most can at least be somewhat viable in most content.

You might want to give Eldevin (eldevingame.com) a try, browser-based MMO thats pretty similar to WoW / Runescape. Just came out in November. You can invest points into any of the different class trees to mix/match and create a hybrid character. Right now I've got an Assassin that can cast fireballs, healing spells and use a bow, on top of my regular Assassin damage-over-time skills.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, Titan Quest has what you want: 9 (I think) classes with hybrid builds of any 2 of them. The game is basically Diablo 2 with better graphics, only in ancient mythology lore. It is not F2P, but it should be quite cheap since it is 9 years old or so.

DDO has everything you want. Although the most difficult content is mostly cookie-cutter land, you can create lots of interesting and more or less viable builds. However for them to work you might need to buy loads of content packs to get the necessary gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kingdoms Of Amalur:Reckoning have a talent tree based system that lets you combine and go for example mage/rogue or mage/warrior etc, but for the game itself its a tad easy without modding and the general flow of the game is not for everyone, to put it simple it feels a bit like an MMO single player RPG.

Risen is what you're looking for.

I think you really limit your options for skill/stat point system games if you don't want any action RPG's.

Ehm... Baldur's Gate (1&2), Icewind Dale (1&2), Neverwinter Nights (1&2), Knights of the Old Republic (1&2), Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind (recommended; in my opinion the best ES game), several brawlers (if you want to be really creative, try Diablo 1 or Path of Exile, though I hear the Torchlight games are also good).
    Then there is... Vampire: The Masquerade (Redemption and Bloodlines).
    And of course there's Dragon Age: Origins and the Mass Effect series.

You could also have a look at the Witcher games, if you can stomach the... Heavy emphasis on Gerald getting 'laid.' Which is to say: Gathering cards with half-naked women on them. Oh, and the controls of the Witcher (at least part one) are horrible. But other than that, it's really atmospheric, and even though you cannot make any choices with regards to what your character looks like (Gerald is Gerald), progression-wise there's a lot of customization.

As for MMOs: Rift and SWTOR are great, in my opinion. Both for different reasons; I prefer the SWTOR graphic style and quality, as well as the great variation in abilities (you'll actually use). Rift, however, has far more character progression freedom in allocating those talent points; definitely worth looking at, and Rift has possibly the best F2P model of all MMOs.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Don't think that's what he's looking for. He wants to be able to be able to make hybrid builds like rogue-mages and mage-warriors. In SWTOR, you can be a warrior, but you're doing to be a melee warrior no matter what-you can tank or dps, but you're not gonna make a warrior that can stealth like a rogue, or heal, or be a real threat at range, it's a lot like WoW pretty much. With some classes you can make a sorta okay tank/dps hybrid or a heal/dps hybrid, but that's the closest you'll get to it, and from the OPs post, I don't think that's what he's looking for. Guild Wars 1 seems to be something like what he had in mind...assuming you have all the campaigns, you have 10 classes to choose from, and you can choose any of the other 10 as your secondary class. So you really can have a "warrior-mage" who carries a sword and shield, and can also cast Firestorms, or you can make a ranger/dervish, who carries a scythe, and fights in melee alongside his pet, etc. Some pairings do work better than others, but most can at least be somewhat viable in most content.
    DA:O blood mage, closest thing I can think of.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose