Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    You're sig, it reminded me.
    Or this...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Meteoria View Post
    Or this...

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    Not all anime are pervy.

Also, you are comparing blockbuster Hollywood epics with hundreds of millions of dollars in budgets to TV shows. It's an apples and oranges comparison.

TV shows have a lower budget, and you can go further with animation than live action as far as fantastic creatures.
    How's that apples and oranges? It's not. The claim was that anime can do what real action can't. Which is obviously not true - the question of budget is irrelevant. Also, anime is not the only form of animated film, which makes it all a moot point.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    Generic responses might boil down to "because people have different tastes", but what exactly does anime have over other popular programs like The Simpsons, Family Guy, Jersey Shore, and so forth to make it worth watching from a quality standpoint?
    I see that you're trying to put new window dressing on your previous thread...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulqiorra View Post
    If you equate playing WoW to having electricity, I feel very, very happy for the rest of the world, as that kind of thinking will, inevitably, lead to the eradication of your seed from the gene pool.
    WoW Toons: Duskwind (retired)/Duskrime (retired)
    Diablo 3 Profile

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    How about LotR or Avatar for fantastic, non-human beings. It's just not as pervy and distrubing as anime.
    So you're looking at a couple of examples of Anime that go OTT with the fanservice and assume it's all pervy and disturbing? You're also, as mentioned by other posters, comparing movies with hundreds of millions of dollars to spend, with TV shows that barely have 1% of that budget.

Even then, your examples aren't even relevant. Any non-CGI parts of the movies you mentioned are just humans, proving my point. The CGI parts are fantastical yes, but then CGI is essentially glorified animation. So you haven't really disagreed with me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Psiclonus View Post
    I see that you're trying to put new window dressing on your previous thread...
    Much different to ask what people enjoy in anime over mainstream shows in comparison to asking if it's alright to watch anime in general.
    "The Naxxramas Warrior. Eternal slayer of the Orcs."

How's that apples and oranges? It's not. The claim was that anime can do what real action can't. Which is obviously not true - the question of budget is irrelevant. Also, anime is not the only form of animated film, which makes it all a moot point.
    CGI is still a form of animation. Again, I enjoy anime, cartoons, and live action. Anime are not always pervy. Anime encompass all classical genres: comedy, action, thriller, drama. They're simply a specific style of cartoon.

Given the context of the thread, the heavy implication is that we're comparing serial TV shows. Budget absolutely is relevant.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

10+ Year Old Account
    I watch all, anime, western cartoons and live-action TV shows, and don't prefer one over the other.

For me, part of the appeal of anime is that they have the long storyline that is more common in live-action shows than in cartoons, but because it is animated, they are less limited than live-action. Most western cartoons are episodic, where the plot is usually contained to a single episode with the occasional two-parter.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't watch shows in the US simpsons american dad family guy and so on because its suited for kids and teens. Anime is more suited to adults well the ones i been watching since 89 and now. But now im losing interest in both because the anime fan base in america is ruining it for me. I mean look at fan sites drawing pictures of Black Butler for example both kissing each other? Trigun and vegeta as a female character? naruto and saske how ever you spell hes name are kissing each other??. The list goes on and its the same with cosplay

Deleted
    Budget irrelevant? How many LotR/Avatar-grade films do you get a year?
    Because I get around a hundred anime series a year, all of which have the potential to look absolutely breathtaking.

For me, When I'm watching it I can just imagine I'm that main character, or even one of the "side" characters doing all these amazing things...
    I've been re-watching Sword Art Online, and it just makes me want virtual reality tech so much...

It tends to be more interesting and "real" than most tv though... and character development is usually more realistic as far as how they get to how they are...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by turskanaattori View Post
    Budget irrelevant? How many LotR/Avatar-grade films do you get a year?
    Because I get around a hundred anime series a year, all of which have the potential to look absolutely breathtaking.
    True dat. Anime can also get a wider variety of art styles than the typical movie CGI.

The art, culture thing and the extremely wide variety in genres anime has to offer over animations produced in the west. There's no one kind of anime, just like there is not one kind of movies.

Only cartoons I really watch is still Family Guy and South Park. I did watch a bit of Bleach during like ... 13-17 years but ... I dunno, I just 'grew out of it' so to speak. I honestly don't know why grown adults still watch the Japanese animes and almost 'obsess' over them, then again, I say the same thing when people get hooked on shows like Jersey Shore or Made in Chelsea or those other reality shows. It's like, is your life that dull and boring that you gotta watch 60 minutes of other peoples lives? What's so extravagant about it? They get make-overs, never work a day in their life and get totally shit-faced they don't know what happened the night before. Yeah, I remember when that sounded fun when I was 18 lol ...
    But, whatever, people like different shit cause they're different. No one is the same.
    1st May 2013-->1st April 2014
    105lb-->166lb
    Bench/Squat/Deadlift 1RMs - 20kg/20kg/40kg-->100kg/162.5kg/210kg

Running geneswests 5/3/1

Deleted
    they can do things in anime that would be too costly to do/look totally fake in a normal tv show. Allows the story to go wherever the writer wants it without being limited by anything but what they can imagine.

But I wouldn't say watching anime means you don't watch other shows. I watch just as many crime drama's, ncis/bones/castle etc, as I do anime. Its just one of the genres of entertainment available.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    So you're looking at a couple of examples of Anime that go OTT with the fanservice and assume it's all pervy and disturbing? You're also, as mentioned by other posters, comparing movies with hundreds of millions of dollars to spend, with TV shows that barely have 1% of that budget.

Even then, your examples aren't even relevant. Any non-CGI parts of the movies you mentioned are just humans, proving my point. The CGI parts are fantastical yes, but then CGI is essentially glorified animation. So you haven't really disagreed with me at all.
    I tried reading sense into this post, but it proves to be difficult.

I like anime because unlike western shows/television it doesn't focus on the same unoriginal ideas; greed, drug use and explicit material as an excuse to be considered more "mature".

Deleted
    I tried reading sense into this post, but it proves to be difficult.
    CGI is animation intended to match the real image image as closely as possible, it is.

Budget plays a huge factor in the level of detail that can be done in an animation.

You are cherrypicking certain shows.

Looking at the release lists of the last seasons, Anime seems to go downhill lately as most shows are school boy harem shows or similar stuff. Seems like they are running out of ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Terracresta View Post
    Looking at the release lists of the last seasons, Anime seems to go downhill lately as most shows are school boy harem shows or similar stuff. Seems like they are running out of ideas.
    Ghibli is still pumping out quality.

Attack on Titan isn't "School boy/harem."

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.