Page 16 of 62 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RicardoZ View Post
    *Puts knife to homeowner's neck* "Now open the safe, motherfucker."
    You realize you have to close some distance to do that right? You also realize that knives at least aren't as fatal (points to mass chinese school stabbing which led to no dead which happened around the same time as sandy hook)

People like to do things from a safe distance, which is why guns are preferred.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    The invader knew that there is a safe?
    Clairvoyants man....

- - - Updated - - -

It would be equally as impossible if it were locked up in a safe.
    Americans are so damn paranoid... it's ridiculous... most people break in when you're not there (and when you're not there this is where your guns does you no good and instead gets stolen)

Deleted
    I can be out of my bed and armed within 10 seconds, I keep my guns in a safe. Who the fuck is after me that 10 seconds is too slow? The fucking SAS?

10+ Year Old Account
    If a knife is to their throat, where would the gun have to be to be effective?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    The invader knew that there is a safe?
    They're pretty hard to miss.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...fe&FORM=HDRSC2

*Puts knife to homeowner's neck* "Now open the safe, motherfucker."
    5 min later the homeowner calls the police with a description of a new illegal gun owner. Guy is now a wanted man. This also means that you can't steal weapons unless the homeowner is home, an extra obstacle in the obtaining a gun race. You could also make the safes electric and with two pass codes, if you use one, the safe opens normally, if you use the other, the safe still opens, but the police is also now on the way to your house.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Banning guns will solve nothing, regulate them better instead.
    I think it has more to do with the general attitude in a country then anything. In Belgium they wouldn't find any gun anywhere even if they searched every house in most cities. The idea of owning a gun without needing one is weird to us, I'l never understand why people want a gun if they don't practise any kind of sport with it.

I wouldn't even come near a gun without me having some proffesional guidance with how to use one.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    http://news.yahoo.com/spike-in-mass-...132625638.html

I know this is a Yahoo story, but w/e. I found the information in it pretty compelling to the idea of employing people in schools (and other public places) whose sole job is to react to a violent incident. I already know the gun control arguments are against putting more guns in schools, whether it's arming teachers or having armed security, but the numbers seem to support the idea of first responders being on campus already in the event of an incident.

Thoughts?
    You want my thoughts? Here they are: This is what happens when people who think snowstorms "disprove" global warming analyse criminological data.

If you plot school shootings over time (# of incidents per unit time, maybe) on one axis, and % of schools with armed security on another axis, and you fit a regression line to it, what does the correlation coefficient come out to be?

Unless that coefficient is strongly negative, the relationship (and implications for giving schools armed guards like they're prisons) is exactly the opposite of what Yahoo suggests.

Subtle hint: The coefficient isn't negative.
    The plural of anecdote is not "data". It's "Bayesian inference".

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Wow, so the solution isn't conflict resolution skills? Or good parenting? Or common sense? Or stopping shit before it ever gets to armed shootouts in schools?
    Yah okay, lets go with GUNSGUNSGUNS! instead.
    I'm sorry, but you lot are nuts.
    Looking at mmochamps answers to the worlds problems, I can only conclude we're fucking doomed.
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Mountain lions sure but a rattlesnake? IMO those would be hard to hit but...I could be mistaken.
    You use snake shot, basically it lets you fire buckshot from your pistol. (I'd never heard of it being called 'rat-shot' until just now when I googled it.) I've never personally run into a dangerous snake (rattler or otherwise) that couldn't be safely dealt with via good boots and staying out of its way, but I have several relatives who are far more 'rugged-frontier' types than myself who swear by it as their preferred method for dealing with snakes, so figured I'd better include it.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

10+ Year Old Account
    I can be out of my bed and armed within 10 seconds, I keep my guns in a safe. Who the fuck is after me that 10 seconds is too slow? The fucking SAS?
    I highly doubt that. Maybe you were trained in the military to hypothetically do that, but I don't believe for a minute you can go from asleep to armed in 10 seconds, unless you're Batman.

You're just making things up now, stick to the issues.

Rich... you have to remember that in America there are secret bands of highly trained taliban, (trained by the c.i.a) that are out there to break into houses and steal things and often times kill the owners. This leads to Americans being overly scared of thieves killing them (and raping their whole families because why not right?) which means tons of Americans buy guns which leads many instance of irresponsible actions with those guns, which leads to Americans killing tends of thousands of Americans a year!

Deleted
    I highly doubt that. Maybe you were trained in the military to hypothetically do that, but I don't believe for a minute you can go from asleep to armed in 10 seconds, unless you're Batman.

Who is making things up? My bed is right next to my safe and I can type the code in the dark, training, it does wonders for your reflexes.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't read article but they should let every child have a gun. If you ban guns from children, only gangster children will have guns!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    I think it has more to do with the general attitude in a country then anything. In Belgium they wouldn't find any gun anywhere even if they searched every house in most cities. The idea of owning a gun without needing one is weird to us, I'l never understand why people want a gun if they don't practise any kind of sport with it.

I wouldn't even come near a gun without me having some proffesional guidance with how to use one.
    It's fucking weird to me and I live here (though I am British) I sometimes think about all the people around me, walking around, people living near me, that could have a concealed gun or one in their house. It's fucking mad. I've seen people killed, and i've seen a mass shooter just after he's killed someone. It's time for me to go lol.

Yeah you could make sure every citizen is armed and pointing a loaded weapon at everyone's head at all times, and post heavily armed guards at every square inch of American soil.

Or you could implement sensible gun control like everyone else.

Banning guns will solve nothing, regulate them better instead.
    We banned them and haven't had a mass shooting since.

Well to be precise, we regulated them to the point that it's almost impossible to own any kind of firearm legally. And we had a mass buyback and destruction campaign (compulsory).
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Exclamation

this is delicious

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Filathorn View Post
    5 min later the homeowner calls the police with a description of a new illegal gun owner. Guy is now a wanted man. This also means that you can't steal weapons unless the homeowner is home, an extra obstacle in the obtaining a gun race. You could also make the safes electric and with two pass codes, if you use one, the safe opens normally, if you use the other, the safe still opens, but the police is also now on the way to your house.
    That would be a reasonable suggestion, but try doing that in 10 seconds like our superhero friend over here in a situation where you needed to defend yourself or your family.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I support having armed guards in schools and also metal detectors at the main entrance to the school. I support myself having a gun to protect home and family for the same reasons. The police can not respond to a situation fast enough to prevent it from happening in the great majority of the cases. In a school or home invasion.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    Any private citizen who wishes to conduct a background check on a person who is buying a firearm from them can already do one.

Making it mandatory does not make it enforceable. Acting like it's not possible to do a background check on a private sale does not reinforce the necessity to make them mandatory by law.

If I've lived next to my good buddy John for 10 years and I want to sell him my pistol, I would think that living next to him for 10 years would give me a better insight to his character and ability to responsibly own a firearm than a background check. Likewise, I'm pretty sure if I had a firearm to sell, I wouldn't be looking for shady criminals to sell it to.

There are a lot of things in life that only require common sense. Paperwork isn't necessary for everything.
    But making it mandatory also means more people would do it.

These discussions always end up having a "If it's not 100% effective, why bother at all?" argument.

I mean really, if that's all it takes, "We don't need to put armed guards at grade schools because some kid will always get by," is an ironclad argument against the OP.
    Last edited by Cthulhu 2020; 2014-01-02 at 11:46 PM.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Yeah you could make sure every citizen is armed and pointing a loaded weapon at everyone's head at all times, and post heavily armed guards at every square inch of American soil.

Or you could implement sensible gun control like everyone else.

We banned them and haven't had a mass shooting since.

Well to be precise, we regulated them to the point that it's almost impossible to own any kind of firearm legally. And we had a mass buyback and destruction campaign (compulsory).
    Where do you live?