Page 18 of 62 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post
    "Why should we put armed guards at schools? Sure, they may stop a few, but they won't stop them all. May as well not do it."

To say that we shouldn't implement universal background checks because not everyone would do them, then turn around and suggest other measures that *GASP* some people would ignore is partisanship at its finest.

You know it's funny, when the issue of gun safety comes up, any legislation that would ultimately result in less gun sales are shot down (lol) by the right wing/NRA. But when there's some ideas that would put the demand for MORE guns out there, the NRA puts their weight behind it.

And people argue that the NRA has no vested interest in the profits of the gun industry.
    Lol seriously we have people here talking about bombs... I am surprised they didn't say "guards won't help people will start throwing bombs in schools!"

It's ridiculous but less guns magically = infringement on rights!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    It's fucking weird to me and I live here (though I am British) I sometimes think about all the people around me, walking around, people living near me, that could have a concealed gun or one in their house. It's fucking mad. I've seen people killed, and i've seen a mass shooter just after he's killed someone. It's time for me to go lol.
    Come to Vancouver Island, it's fucking glorious here 100% of the time and no one has tried to kill me. Not even once. I don't lock my doors, don't even have a house key. Beer is better, our marijuana is tastier, and our Netflix is getting better each year
    Obtuse and Obedient of Stormrage US

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Monoxide View Post
    What fairytale land do you live in? If I have a weapon for home protection, I want it readily available; not locked in a case with a key and passcode that I'd never have time to get to if an intruder breaks in. I want it next to my bed in a cabinet, yes.

And, which is it? Is my gun locked safely away where it can't be easily accessed, or is it nearby where I can quickly use it to defend myself? You seem to want it both ways.
    You do not have enough time to open a safe, but it's enough time to determine deadly force needs to be used?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Deleted
    What fairytale land do you live in? If I have a weapon for home protection, I want it readily available; not locked in a case with a key and passcode that I'd never have time to get to if an intruder breaks in. I want it next to my bed in a cabinet, yes.

And, which is it? Is my gun locked safely away where it can't be easily accessed, or is it nearby where I can quickly use it to defend myself? You seem to want it both ways.

Nothing in my original post said anything about banning firearms, I don't know why you like to invent things and pretend people say it. The reality of the matter is you have no good response to what I said because you can't grasp the concept the criminals don't give a fuck about the law and no amount of regulation is going to get guns out of the hands of dangerous people.
    Why not have your gunsafe by your bed? As for not enough time to use it I will ask again, who the fuck is coming for you that is so damn quick?

Deleted
    Good thing that guns are so easy to get in America to offer better protection from incidents like school shootings.

Quote Originally Posted by Obtuse View Post
    Come to Vancouver Island, it's fucking glorious here 100% of the time and no one has tried to kill me. Not even once. I don't lock my doors, don't even have a house key. Beer is better, our marijuana is tastier, and our Netflix is getting better each year
    Lol want to stay on the east coast for easy New York access. I was thinking Montreal or Ontario.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    There is no perfect safety. Constructing elaborate scenarios is not a good argument.
    That's right, there isn't any perfect safety. That's why the discussion about gun control is all about scenarios. And there's nothing "elaborate" about thinking that a criminal could make you open a safe. I think the argument that you're able to go from a deep sleep, to opening your safe, and being ready to defend yourself within 10 seconds requires a much more elaborate suspension of disbelief than simply positing that safes leave you potentially unarmed at the time you need to be armed.

10+ Year Old Account

Nothing in my original post said anything about banning firearms, I don't know why you like to invent things and pretend people say it. The reality of the matter is you have no good response to what I said because you can't grasp the concept the criminals don't give a fuck about the law and no amount of regulation is going to get guns out of the hands of dangerous people.
    If you live in a first world country where keeping a gun right next to you at all times because there is a high chance of being attacked, you either live in a really REALLY (i mean worse than the ghettos) part of town and should GTFO as soon as you can or you're slightly schizophrenic and think everyone is out to get you.

I've never felt the need to keep a weapon by me, and I lived in the city with the 3rd highest violent crime ratio in the U.S. (Memphis, although I think we might have fallen to 5th place. Consolation?)

In America you can kill people for stealing... Person outside stealing your car? You can go outside and shoot them to death, hell you can shoot them to death from your fucking window and you'd be in the clear, because they were trying to steal your property. You are allowed to use deadly force to protect your material goods.
    And I still wouldn't do it. There is no damn fucking reason to confront a potentially dangerous situation just because it may cause you economic harm. I'd run from pretty much every and any potentially dangerous situation if I thought I could outrun it unless me staying would make the situation safer for other people. I don't know if insurance in USA is more expensive or less common than in Norway, but part the contract for the apartment I'm renting is that I'm obliged to have an insurance that covers pretty much all of my possessions (pretty much only car that isn't covered). And this isn't abnormal, because it insures that the owners are safe in case of fire/flood/accidental truck into the apartment etc. My parents told me that if I ever ended up in a dangerous sitation like a burglary / robbery, I'm to fully cooperate with the criminal, give him my wallet and phone, give him the keys to my car, whatever he asks. This way, the criminal gets what he wants, maybe he knocks me out to buy some time before I call the police, but that's the worst that should happen to me. Off course, he could be a mad man intending to kill me, and then I'm probably screwed, but I'd probably be screwed anyway, but in 99% of these situations, I just lost lots of stuff, I call the police and insurance company, get all my stuff back and no one was harmed for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Why not have your gunsafe by your bed? As for not enough time to use it I will ask again, who the fuck is coming for you that is so damn quick?
    Have you seen John Woo movies?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol want to stay on the east coast for easy New York access. I was thinking Montreal or Ontario.
    Montreal is a shitty city btw. If you want somewhere quiet, take the 3 hours up north and move to Quebec. The most threatening thing there are old people driving.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Yes you can. Easily. For one I do not have kids at home now and my .357 mag is loaded and close to my bed within arm's reach. and I sleep with my bedroom door closed. My whole family knows not to go into my bedroom with out first announcing who they are.
    What kind of a lunatic are you?

Geez...why can you not have an opinion on this issue without drawing out every Dirty Harry and some other guy who seems to think he's the Flash...Why can't you discuss this issue rationally...ever?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    Have you seen John Woo movies?
    I think most people get their self defence scenarios from him.....

"What do you do if a 4 man Special Forces team assaults your house at 3am? You will wish you never had it in your gun safe then huh!"

10+ Year Old Account
    You keep using that word, do you have any idea what it actually means? Do you know anything at all about firearms? If you do you can tell me how quickly you can cock and make ready a 5.56 rifle, lets use the AR15 as an example.
    What word? And are we into the "dude do you even lift?" portion of your objection now?

Its fascinating how they harp on the dangers of using a safe but ignore the danger of unsecured firearms.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think most people get their self defence scenarios from him.....

"What do you do if a 4 man Special Forces team assaults your house at 3am? You will wish you never had it in your gun safe then huh!"
    Why do you find the idea that a criminal would make you open up your gun safe so fanciful?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RicardoZ View Post
    That's right, there isn't any perfect safety. That's why the discussion about gun control is all about scenarios. And there's nothing "elaborate" about thinking that a criminal could make you open a safe. I think the argument that you're able to go from a deep sleep, to opening your safe, and being ready to defend yourself within 10 seconds requires a much more elaborate suspension of disbelief than simply positing that safes leave you potentially unarmed at the time you need to be armed.
    Deep sleep, plus them seeing the safe, you not waking up while they found the safe, while also being elaborate thieves that were not just there to grab and get out. Hearing someone breaking into your house and having the time to get your gun from a safe, is far less elaborate than having you sleep through a break in, where perpetrators were willing to hold an otherwise sleeping home owner hostage to get into a safe they were able to find and know was worth the ordeal.

But you're OK with going from being asleep to immediately applying lethal force

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do you find the idea that a criminal would make you open up your gun safe so fanciful?
    Maybe because it's hard for him to believe he would sleep through a break in, plus the odds of thieves holding an otherwise sleeping home owner hostage.

Deleted
    What word? And are we into the "dude do you even lift?" portion of your objection now?
    Superhuman, you keep using that word for something that requires not a lot of skill.