Page 25 of 62 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Alarms also come free of the risk of hurting someone in your family, and are more effective at scary away burglars than someone trudging through a dark house half asleep in their boxers with a loaded firearm.

They also work to protect your shit when you have to work.
    And lower your insurance costs in all likelihood.

I'm actually supportive of the whole gun safe thing. Making it mandatory would be a little far, but the government could subsidize them by offering a coupon or a rebate to anyone who purchases a gun, making the decision to get a safe pretty easy.
    Why should the government take that expense? Gun ownership is a right, but its still absolutely a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I think you point the gun at them and tell them to surrender, and if for some reason they're insane enough not to comply you pull the trigger and hope for the best.

In that case why don't spree killers use shotguns? Seeing as they're supposedly more effective.

I don't know where that Canada stat comes from, I've heard it myself but I don't think it's correct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_...ita_by_country

Canada has less than 1/3rd the number of guns per capita, America has almost as many guns as people and is a massive outlier. I wonder if that statistic was originally "registered gun owners" or something.

spree killing happens so rarely that its hard to really articulate anything more than they are mentally disturbed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    In every other Western country we call those people "nutcases".

It's unusually high in the US but as a proportion of the population yes, it's small. It's just particularly devastating when it does happen.

Most gun deaths are caused by cheap handguns IIRC.

That's actually not true, most illegal guns are via straw purchases, dodgy gun shop owners and the like. Theft accounts for like 15% of all illegal guns.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...ocon/guns.html

But if you mean that the vast majority of illegal guns ultimately derive from legal sources, that is true.
    Its not an irrational though to think that your government might become corrupt and try to kill/steal from you. It happens everyday, someone in power shits on someone without it somewhere in the world. I don't really care, a foreigner has no say in how our country operates domestically and if they don't like our country they can stay in theirs.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    Are you going to sue Bmw too? What about the manufacture of their air filters? Where does responsibility end?
    I'd go ahead and say that the repercussions and purpose of owning a gun, and being under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs is very clear, where the use of a car is not to drive into people, it's to get you places.

But then we start getting into the whole argument of the main function of a gun, and then we'll really see the mental gymnastics get broken out about how guns aren't made to hurt or kill, etc.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Its not an irrational though to think that your government might become corrupt and try to kill/steal from you. It happens everyday, someone in power shits on someone without it somewhere in the world. I don't really care, a foreigner has no say in how our country operates domestically and if they don't like our country they can stay in theirs.
    They can criticize our government and it's laws if they want just like how we criticize any nation in the Middle East and say North Korea.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Montreal is a shitty city btw. If you want somewhere quiet, take the 3 hours up north and move to Quebec. The most threatening thing there are old people driving.
    That is first choice Montreal after because less French isn't too bad from what I hear. My french is okay but I haven't really tried québécois.

Seems like liberals commit more shootings, I dont know why that is, do you?

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Get more Police sure, but teachers have enough shit to deal with as it is without them requiring more training, regulation and responsibilities.
    There are plenty of teachers that are already trained with using firearms and are possibly ex-law enforcement or military which would require very little (if any) training. One of my professors falls into that category (active duty law enforcement/police instructor).

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Seems like liberals commit more shootings, I dont know why that is, do you?
    Citation needed.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Obtuse View Post
    So I went to eat dinner and I see this discussion has really evolved over the last 15 pages. I have only one question.

@ Rich, what are you hiding in that house of yours? Because these mystical unicorn superman ultra ninjas with Star Trek spy gear and Italian Job safe cracking skills seem to really want it.
    The man bakes a mean brownie.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    Well that's too bad there are police at every corner armed with guns along the way to the school.
    This is common where you live?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think that it's quite clear (from evidence, implementation in other countries etc.) that gun control and regulations are the best way to control school shootings and the like.

Republicans and idiotic Tea Partiers that say, "Arm teachers!!" are so out of touch with reality that it simply astonishes me.

Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post
    Citation needed.

15+ Year Old Account
    Citation needed.

McVeigh was intensely NRA conservative, although I suppose that wasn't a shooting. The bombing was in the name of gun rights though.
    Last edited by Cthulhu 2020; 2014-01-03 at 02:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Grossman View Post
    I like how people want to solve gun problems with more guns.

Then more problems arise and their answer will be even more guns.

Talk about an arms race.
    It's like an arms race with yourself!

spree killing happens so rarely that its hard to really articulate anything more than they are mentally disturbed.
    And have access to guns.

And if you ever want to live in a sane country you're welcome to come to ours

The idea that you can't depend on the police to protect you and need to be armed at all times in a modern Western country is either irrational, or if it is rational, a sign that you need to move the fuck out of whatever neighbourhood you live in.

Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post
    Citation needed.

McVeigh was intensely NRA conservative, although I suppose that wasn't a shooting.
    Look rent a mod I do plenty to get citations already.

People should stop trying to change American people's view.. it won't happen... they like guns over there, they like the whole wild west thing going on and they must like people shooting children... it's the only thing I can think off by still allowing civilians to arm themselves. They ain't going to change minds... they *believe* they have some god given right to be able to own guns and start pointing to age old documents that were written in a completely different time period as validation that it is in fact in their right to get guns... You would think that after all those years humanity evolved and laws with them... yet on the gun subject..

Like someone posted earlier, there are more shootings in one year in America then there are in 100 years in Europe. And someone born in Europe or America is 100% the same.. it's all about education and how guns are treated over there... They think they need guns to protect them from criminals.. they forget that pretty much all of those school shootings are NOT done by criminals... they are done by regular kids who feel neglected, get bullied or have psychological problems.. those children get guns because mommy and daddy have guns... I presume those parents aren't criminals either.. Start by restricting all guns except for regulated hunting and law enforcement. Yes that means pôssession will become illigal and people will have to trade in their guns... yes it will take a long time till America reaches Europe levels of gun violence.. but at least after some time they would be on the same level and the world will be a better place for it... You cannot fix gun problems by adding more guns. You need to fix the cause of the problem, not the result.
    Last edited by Planetdune; 2014-01-03 at 02:41 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    lol listen to what happens in Australia. . nothing!!!

If only there was room in my sig.

Actually you know what...
    Last edited by Mormolyce; 2014-01-03 at 02:49 AM.

Weak shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Montreal is a shitty city btw. If you want somewhere quiet, take the 3 hours up north and move to Quebec. The most threatening thing there are old people driving.
    If you aren't Francophone Quebecois and you move to Quebec City you're asking to live in solitude. I speak French well and I wouldn't live there. Gorgeous place. To visit. I still think our British friend should leave the need for NYC behind and come to the west coast. We don't call B.C. the most beautiful place on earth for nothing.
    Obtuse and Obedient of Stormrage US

10+ Year Old Account
    Make a claim but doesn't back it up. You either back it up with facts or don't fucking make claims at all. Lol @ Rent a mod. There's some passive aggressive attitude here.
    Last edited by Aeluron Lightsong; 2014-01-03 at 02:45 AM.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi