Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Confessions of a veteran player

Why hello there, I am here today to impose on you why my opinion as to the game is clearly superio-

Well not really, I have been thinking about the new expansion and the new revamped hc - BRS. It just popped into my head and figured maybe other people will have similar thoughts about certain aspects of the game. I haven't specifically stated classic so anyone can chip in with something they "don't miss" about the old game, that is commonly talked about as a good thing.

So to start off with some examples:
    I don't miss BRS
    I hated resistance gear fights
    I really didn't enjoy the opening of AQ as a low level player

Feel free to add more, or flame my opinion. Either works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

40 man raids were stupid.
    Do not enjoy troll raids.
    Sick of Thrall even to this day from him in Cataclysm.
    Vanilla was not that great, it was just not comparable.
    Lich King > Illidan.
    Druids are a stupid class. (Yeah stealing my herbs you dirty bird,cat,bear,walrus,thing!)

I only logged on just to say that I am glad there are veteran players like you who are not stuck in nostalgia world and bash the new changes to WoW. I have seen way too many posts stating "Zomg WoW sucks now, Vanilla WoW was better because this and that".

On topic, I hated having to spend hours looking for a 5 man group (especially a tank) only to have some just leave because they either got bored waiting, had other things to do, or just left.

I hated the LONG dungeons in order to farm the most trivial things which were quickly replace once BC came out.
    I don't miss arrows taking up space. Having to refill my bag.. taking up space.. and sometimes forgetting to refill that I end up becoming a useless hunter mid raid.
    Speaking of raids.... 40 man raids.... Thank god it's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Musik-Diversity86 View Post
    I only logged on just to say that I am glad there are veteran players like you who are not stuck in nostalgia world and bash the new changes to WoW. I have seen way too many posts stating "Zomg WoW sucks now, Vanilla WoW was better because this and that".
    I have plenty of things I feel were better back then, and indeed TBC was my favourite time in the game - I just recognize some of the bad things too

I don't miss arrows taking up space. Having to refill my bag.. taking up space.. and sometimes forgetting to refill that I end up becoming a useless hunter mid raid.
    /engineer, loved selling arrows in wrath for auto-income.

Soul shards could go die in a fire, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Deleted
    Day 175...3rd run of the evening, having convinced 14 other people who may or may not be conscious to go to UBRS...no tier 0 chestpiece...again...

Day 176...Drakki...why you do this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Salisbury, Rhodesia & Leiden , The Netherlands
    I completely agree with the first 2 posts

I hate how unfinished vanilla was
    I hated TBC as a whole, the story, outland, the raids, everything.
    I hated how boring it was to play some classes, smashing 2 buttons.
    "This is no swaggering askari, no Idi Amin Dada, heavyweight boxing champion of the King's African Rifles, nor some wide shouldered, medal-strewn Nigerian general. This is an altogether more dangerous dictator - an intellectual, a spitefull African Robespierre who has outlasted them all." - The Fear: Robert Mugabe and the martyrdom of Zimbabwe, Peter Godwin.

Yeah it did have it's benefits but it is getting better and better. Can't wait to revisit Pre-Outlands as well as try the new Garrison.

Oh and since they didn't add a new class or race, it will be fun to see what they put their focus on and I hope it will be amazing

I'm a Vanilla player too and I think almost every aspect of the game has been improved since then. Regarding the BRS remake - not a big fan of it either. I never was a big fan of the Vanilla 5 mans. They all looked like different variations of the same "dark dungeon walls/cave interior" theme. The Dire Mauls would have been the far better choice IMO - much more interesting both art and gameplay wise.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strakha View Post
    Druids are a stupid class. (Yeah stealing my herbs you dirty bird,cat,bear,walrus,thing!)
    Had to laugh at that, although I started in BC, not a vanilla vet, I'm over troll raids/content, same with thrall (still prefer him as WC other than the current and garrosh)

I do miss:
    Strath (when it was one)
    Group quests
    Being on my own realm
    Attunments (yes a lot hate it, but I like the lead up to do things)
    The Corrupt Ashbringer
    Dungeons that aren't tank and spank.

I'm sure I can list more things I miss, but those are the mains.

I Started playing when my wife was pregnant with our now 7.5 year old son.

Overall, I think the game is much more player friendly than ever before. The goal is for the masses, not the handful of elite hard-core progression raiders. LFD/LFR/Flex are awesome.

My biggest issue is spells/talents. I much more enjoyed the variety of builds with getting a new talent point every level. It was cool to see folks create off the wall specs for PVP or specific encounters.

Deleted
    I dont miss Hunter ammo.
    I dont miss weapon skills.
    I do not miss the days were I had to run to a dungeon, specially at lower levels. Leveling is much more pleasent when you can throw in a quick dungeon.

My biggest "Vanilla> everything" issue is when people say the community was better and you actually went and explored the world rather than just sitting in a main city and popping ques.

Do people forget how freaking LONG it took to manually find people who 1) had time 2) could be arsed to do a freaking long-ass dungeon/raid 3)were attuned ?

One thing I love about current WoW is that you don't specifically need crazy hours to see the content.
    http://samaramon.co/
    My transmog & misc. blog!

One thing that made me sad was that they took out you had to feed your hunters pet to give it a buff and if left alone would run away thought that was so cool i think meny like this is gone thou
    I Know My Spelling Is Bad so Live With it or dont and just die

Deleted
    Oh, and the sheer unimaginable amount of grinding you had to do when the quests ran out. Those turtles on the beach in Tanaris...poor...poor bastards.

10+ Year Old Account
    I absolutely loved Vanilla - at the time.
    I wouldn't love it as much, now.

I'll miss old UBRS, I'm sure.. but I'm interested what they'll do with the new one.
    I wonder what's gonna happen to BWL attunement.
    I wonder what's gonna happen to Awbee. And the Beast's skin. And Gyth's carpace.
    I wonder if we'll ever again see a raidboss and his underling orc yell 'w00t", "fools, go for the one in the dress!" or "nobody touch that corpse, those boots are mine!".
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

Deleted
    Vanilla pvp was awful. With all the CC breakers and suber imba mobility of all classes its way better now, dmg is too low though.

Proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyO0jLOnYas

Ahh yess.. 40 man raids.. 41 people online in guild but only 2 healers who are raiders and want to raid.. raid canceled...
    Creating UBRS/Stratholme groups was nightmare.. it took about 40 mins to fill raid and then healer/tank made rules that he will take chromatic scales, Orbs because he doesn't need anything else or else he will leave and again others will have to repeat LFM for another 20 mins for another healer/tank...

Having to farm nature resist just to kill Princess was boring and if few people slacked that made it almost impossible to kill her...

As hunter I hated classic Wow because of our abilities.. like 50% of dmg was from auto attack..

from classic WoW best memories I have from things I did for first time.

First time entered in self game.
    For first time I did any instance.
    For first time when I did any raid or killed raid bosses because they were fresh.

at end of Classic WoW I really hated it because everything felt dull, boring, pretty much the same and very simplified of what we have now.

Deleted
    I dont miss :

Having my raid be over after 1 hour of wipes on either Rag or Vael.
    Running a raid with 40 people and having the feeling only 20 people actually contribute.
    Having to farm for weeks end to finish opening a instance (granted the idea was cool but exectution miserable
    Getting called up at 04:00 in the morning cause fucking azuregos or kazzak spawned
    Having to resort to tricks like battle shout spam, and blessing of wisdom to tank 'untankable' encounters cause the casters had no clue what threat was.
    Farming rum tum tubers in felwood
    Grinding out maroundon for the damn nature ress gear
    Running up and down to fetch the damn Water to put out the runes in molten core.

Im sure there's many more things i dont miss. but these were the easiest ones of the top of my head

Quote Originally Posted by Samaramon View Post
    Do people forget how freaking LONG it took to .....
    .....do anything in vanilla? I sure didn't forget, and i love every bit of change implemented since then that saves me from wasting time doing stuff I don't really want to do.

Random example: Who actually thinks back to farming Diremaul at level 60 with a group of guildies just to get some shitty resistance gear for a TIER 2.5 FIGHT....?

And for the record 'farming' didn't mean blowing through a dungeon in 10 minutes to get that gear. It meant standing in IF for 30+ minutes finding a group, then flying to Menethil, waiting for the boat to theramore, going by groundmount (if you were lucky you had a 100% mount, but most people only had 60%) to Diremaul, then spending a good deal of time clearing the place, only to find that your item didn't drop and you could start over again.

Oh, and good luck finding a tank for Diremaul, as the cloth resistance gear dropped in places tanks had just about zero interest in going to.

Don't get me wrong: I LOVED vanilla back in the day. But I really really really wouldn't want to go back to that stuff now I know how much better this game is in it's current state.

I miss having longer 5 man dungeons to run with friends. Spending the night clearing BRD and BRS was fun for me and my small group of friends. We aren't really interested in expanding our group to accommodate the requirements for raiding. We'd rather have more 5 man content that's fun as opposed to the aoe fests we have now.