Deleted

I have problems with sounding happy and making people feel comfortable when talking

Hello guys. I have a problem that cripples me. Whenever I talk with someone I get this dull "Hello" coming out of my mouth, it sounds really flat and kind of depressing. After I have said hello, they of course say hello back, but I can tell already there that they feel uncomfortable and wondering if I am unhappy or sad.

How do I get this depressing sound to disappear?

10+ Year Old Account
    Pound down an energy drink before going out... seems to me that you lack some enthusiastic energy. You gotta pump yourself up for stuff, then again you don't want to be that guy at the bar who is just all over the place. There's a small chance you might just be monotoned, but you'd know if you were or not. Just try to sound more happy about seeing people... when you act dull and shy-like, they're more inclined to leave you and talk to someone else who seems to have a happy attitude.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Deleted
    you try to sound happy.

i dont really know what else to say to that.

Maybe talk to a psychiatrist. I mean no offense, they can do wonders.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowgonemad View Post
    Start by flexing your cheek muscles into a smile for a little body language. Than, instead of putting no effort into your 'hello,' flex your diaphragm as you speak and use that brain of yours to control your vocal cords.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    some people have monotone voices...I know I do. Voice therapy might help.

Deleted
    Helium. Worth a shot.

No, don't know. Maybe you're unhappy and uncomfortable when talking? Not saying it as a bad thing, just the things tend to be reciprocated. I doubt that many people judge you on a "hello" btw. We are much more superficial than to be making such deep judgements on such simple information.

It sounds like you judge yourself too hard honestly. If it's your voice, not much you can do about that. Maybe you're just unhappy and uncomfortable? Don't worry about it if you're not. Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowgonemad View Post
    Hello guys. I have a problem that cripples me. Whenever I talk with someone I get this dull "Hello" coming out of my mouth, it sounds really flat and kind of depressing. After I have said hello, they of course say hello back, but I can tell already there that they feel uncomfortable and wondering if I am unhappy or sad.

Instead of starting with Hello, start with a wave and ask "How are you?" By asking a question you will hopefully add an upwards inflection to your greeting.

Have you tried practicing it? Watch movies and pay attention to the facial changes people make when they smile. As a prior poster said, actually smiling will make a huge difference. Your brain is pretty stupid, despite evidence to the contrary. If you stand up straight, put your chest out and smile as you say hello, it will change how you sound. Even if you do still sound monotonous, guess what? You look confident and happy, so the tone isn't as important.