Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    You just don't understand all the ramifications of using EU stuff. All those EU authors would want a piece of profits for using their works. Fat chance! It's easier to create your own stuff.
    Do you have any idea what your talking about? Do you know how writing the books work? It doesnt seem so.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    they don't have to use it. expand upon it. like have the movies take place after the fate of the jedi storyline (I believe that was the last storyline to take place).
    You can't expand on something without using that something as the basis of your expansion. And what if they want to tell the story right after episode 6? They can't? How come? Screw EU. I want to see that movie.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Do you have any idea what your talking about? Do you know how writing the books work? It doesnt seem so.
    Do you have any arguments or are you about to resort to insults?
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

I would have just preferred a completely separate story line in the Star Wars universe. Why do we have to go back to the same time period at all.

I really don't want to see them dust off any of the original actors either, we saw how well that worked in Indy 4.

The universe and expanded universe has the foundation set up for 1000 great stories. A continuation of the series from where we left off would have about as much excitement as a sports postgame show.

Id also like to see more books written in the world of Harry Potter. I don't want to read about Harry's kids, I would rather hear a new story from like the period before the International Statute of Secrecy. But that's just my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    They should IMO use their own creation. Leave the EU out of this. Some of the crap got particularly strange. Especially after Luke got exiled. I mean seriously wtf.

Honestly, let them create their own path. Oh and the Mickey Mouse comments are...just immature. I mean really now, what is it with people and dumbing down stuff(Making people's arguments look poopy).
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    You can't expand on something without using that something as the basis of your expansion. And what if they want to tell the story right after episode 6? They can't? How come? Screw EU. I want to see that movie.

- - - Updated - - -

you want to see the truce at bakura? that was pretty lame tbh. i'd rather see the heir to the empire trilogy.

Yes thats not even close to how writting books for a storyline works, If a movie is made later that follows the storyline that was set down by a book the author doesnt get a peice of the movie.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes thats not even close to how writting books for a storyline works, If a movie is made later that follows the storyline that was set down by a book the author doesnt get a peice of the movie.
    If the movie doesn't mention the anything from the book you mean? Right. So the movie is not based on the book. It just skips time. Which is bad. The less time for the movies - the less movies. So if they want to make an episode 7 that starts right where episode 6 ended for instance - or 20 years later - they can't? because there's a book about that time period? Fuck that book is what I say.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    you want to see the truce at bakura? that was pretty lame tbh. i'd rather see the heir to the empire trilogy.
    I want to see the continuation of the story right after episode 6. Whatever it might be.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

I want to see the continuation of the story right after episode 6. Whatever it might be.
    Its allready out

First you have the truce at bakura which literally happens a day after return of the jedi. Then you have the x-wing series which covers the retaking of corusant and the rebuilding of rogue squadron. Then you have the courtship of princess leia, then you have the thrawn trilogy, need i go on? Stop asking for things that are allready here. Stop being lazy and read them.

If the movie doesn't mention the anything from the book you mean? Right. So the movie is not based on the book. It just skips time. Which is bad. The less time for the movies - the less movies. So if they want to make an episode 7 that starts right where episode 6 ended for instance - or 20 years later - they can't? because there's a book about that time period? Fuck that book is what I say.
    Can you link me to somthing that states this is how that works cus it would be a first for me hearing about it. First of all they cant make the new movies happen right after 6 due to the fact that Leia is fat as fuck, han solo is old as balls, Luke looks like a child mollester need i go on? They waited to long for more movies after 6 and now they need to place one a realistic amount of time after 456 movies so that the real life ageing matchs the character aging. Luckily there is plenty for them to make movies on that would be amazing, yes it most likely wouldnt follow the books word for word or action for action but thats what happens when you make a moive adaptation of a book or book storyline but at least it wouldnt be wild and off the wall shit like what jj abrams did to star treks story line. ANd i know plenty of people are beyond pissed about that.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's out on a book and that would spoil the story almost instantly. From a marketing standpoint it'd be pretty destructive. Rawr people messed up Star Trek but the people *You know* isn't evidence that the Star Wars Trilogy will be bad.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Deleted
    They're gonna pull an Alien: Prometheus and totally ignore the "canon" events in Alien vs. Predator.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vexarion View Post
    They're gonna pull an Alien: Prometheus and totally ignore the "canon" events in Alien vs. Predator.
    I can already come up with an idea that keeps the EU intact all the while letting the movie writers go where they want.

Warrior-Magi

Deleted
    Why is this even an issue?

I don't read that stuff. I haven't read any of the novels. I don't know anything about that world. That's a different world than my world. But I do try to keep it consistent. The way I do it now is they have a Star Wars Encyclopedia. So if I come up with a name or something else, I look it up and see if it has already been used. When I said [other people] could make their own Star Wars stories, we decided that, like Star Trek, we would have two universes: My universe and then this other one. They try to make their universe as consistent with mine as possible, but obviously they get enthusiastic and want to go off in other directions. - George Lucas

The EU Star Wars is a different universe than the movie Star Wars (even if it follows the movie universe). Therefore, the EU Star Wars and the movie Star Wars don't follow the same path.

The AvP movies (on top of being awful) already ignored the years of AvP comics.

Not to mention anyone who actually cares about this acknowledges that Aliens, Predator, and Aliens vs predator are three seperate continuities anyway, and Prometheus belongs to the Aliens continuity.
    Last edited by unholytestament; 2014-01-04 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    Why is this even an issue?

I don't read that stuff. I haven't read any of the novels. I don't know anything about that world. That's a different world than my world. But I do try to keep it consistent. The way I do it now is they have a Star Wars Encyclopedia. So if I come up with a name or something else, I look it up and see if it has already been used. When I said [other people] could make their own Star Wars stories, we decided that, like Star Trek, we would have two universes: My universe and then this other one. They try to make their universe as consistent with mine as possible, but obviously they get enthusiastic and want to go off in other directions. - George Lucas

The EU Star Wars is a different universe than the movie Star Wars (even if it follows the movie universe). Therefore, the EU Star Wars and the movie Star Wars don't follow the same path.
    And how old is that quote may i ask? I know lucas had a direct hand in the storyline for the NJO series and the following books as well. That may have been true at one point but no longer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The AvP movies (on top of being awful) already ignored the years of AvP comics.
    1st one was good and Í'm afraid I really don't know anything about the comics.

10+ Year Old Account
    The expanded Universe is not canon with the actual movies - it is it's own universe and its own canon. It does BORROW (heavily) from the movies, but nothing that happens in the EU has any impact on the movies themselves.

And, sad to say, the EU has never been part of the movie canon. It is just a way in which Lucas allowed others to elaborate on his world without interfering directly with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    The expanded Universe is not canon with the actual movies - it is it's own universe and its own canon. It does BORROW (heavily) from the movies, but nothing that happens in the EU has any impact on the movies themselves.

And, sad to say, the EU has never been part of the movie canon. It is just a way in which Lucas allowed others to elaborate on his world without interfering directly with it.
    Again wrong, He had a direct hand in the storyline for the NJO series, Please do some research before posting.

Deleted
    And how old is that quote may i ask? I know lucas had a direct hand in the storyline for the NJO series and the following books as well. That may have been true at one point but no longer.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_canon

It's still valid, especially when the reedited Star Wars trilogy contradicts old EU lore. And honestly, I do believe that the new movies directors/writers are going to follow the "film-only canon" policy that is already established.

10+ Year Old Account
    Again wrong, He had a direct hand in the storyline for the NJO series, Please do some research before posting.
    Then prove it if you are making that claim or ask him to prove it.

Warrior-Magi

1st one was good and Í'm afraid I really don't know anything about the comics.
    First one was meh. It didn't really do anything to offend canon but it suffered from being just a PG-13 action movie. Seriously, the old movies were all rated R and are fucking idolized for their violence. You don't tone that shit down! The final fight with the queen at the end was pretty awesome though.

The second one was a travesty that apparently thought ripping off the older movies was the best way to capture their spirit. They were wrong. Then there was all the bullshit surrounding the predalien. Yeah, lets just go ahead and throw out the whole egg and facehugger thing, one of the things that makes the aliens stand out so much in science-fiction horror.

And I'm gonna post this again since you probably missed my edit: Not to mention anyone who actually cares about this acknowledges that Aliens, Predator, and Aliens vs predator are three separate continuities anyway, and Prometheus belongs to the Aliens continuity.