Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    Aside from the ones already mentioned, i recently saw Predestination in Singapore. Surprisingly good for a low budget movie and easily one of the best I've seen this year. I highly recommend checking it out.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    I probably got clipped in the hype wagon. If you expect a 7 and get a 6, it feels like a 5. If you get hype and marketing and expect an 8 but get a 6, it really makes it feel far worse. I'll give it another go, when it hits Netflix. I'd guess similar things with Drive.
    That was probably what happened for me with Interstellar. Had high hopes for a 10, but ended on a 8,5-9 - which obviously is great, but still less than what i had hoped for.
    I think the visuals actually was one of the things that disappointed me a little. The script described the journey through the wormhole as a visual acid trip where the 3 dimensions is disturbed and "warps". Furthermore, there is a huge space station built through 3000 years by robots using alien technology.
    It is of course my own fault that I read the leaked script.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post

Verdamte rates a movie 10 when it becomes "art or have potential to become a cultural Milestone" and typically is "flawless with importance, heart and soul." I don't care about art, and I don't care if pop culture hails it as a "cultural milestone".

I like epic and grandeur, I like fantasy, I like adventure, I like gritty darkness, I like great themes and messages, I like intrigung characters, I like awesome action, etc etc. No movie has all these things, and even if it did, each of them would likely not be 10/10.
    I totally respect that and perhaps Art is a too strong word. Extraordinary is probably more like it. Cohen Bros and Tarantino makes some really memorable scenes for example.
    Fantasy is one of my favorit genre as well. Quality fantasy movies is rare though, but hopefully will future filmmakes take the genre more serious after the succes of the Tolkien movies and Game of Thrones. Im positive that it is possible to make a fantasy masterpiece. The first LoTR was really close (i disliked everything about the elfs - but the rest was amazing). I doubt many will agree - but Avatar is also close to a 10 in my eyes.

Deleted
    Not seen many memorable films this year, I can only think of 4

1) The Guest
    2) Pride
    3) Gone Girl (though the narration was cringey throughout)
    4) Snowpiercer

Overhyped films like Gravity and Planet of the Apes were a complete letdown tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post

1) The Guest
    2) Pride
    4) Snowpiercer

Overhyped films like Gravity and Planet of the Apes were a complete letdown tbh.
    Gravity wasn't a 2014 release.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    It wasn't an overly sarcastic "really" but more of a more subdued "wow, i rarely give anything a perfect 10 of 10, so you really liked that particular movie enough to give it a 10?" To me, that would mean no room for improvement.
    If I would rate movies like that there wouldn't be any 10s. I'm more like this:

5: Meh
    6: Okay
    7: Good
    8: Very good
    9: Great
    10: Awesome

And I don't give out 9s and 10s to any movie. Many of the 10s I've rated aren't anywhere close to the best 10s I have on my list, but they are still better than the 9s.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fury is in, Edge of Tomorrow is out.

What you like subjective, your experience with a movie is subjective, and what you want from a movie you rate 10 is subjective.
    That's probably why I'm one of the few defenders of Mike Bay and Nicky Cage movies. They do what I WANT THEM to do, just as giving a movie a 10, it is doing exactly what you wanted it and expected it to do, but better. I totally respect that. I would never walk into a Bay or Cage movie expecting to give it a 10, but I can easily give it an 8.

My highest movies their year were Winter Soldier and X-Men, it was the adventure, the actors, the characters, the "now do you wanna pick all that shit up" and just good fun.

- - - Updated - - -

I like adventure. I like awesome action.
    A jedi craves not these things.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by verdamte View Post
    I totally respect that and perhaps Art is a too strong word. Extraordinary is probably more like it. Cohen Bros and Tarantino makes some really memorable scenes for example.
    That was always my problem with Tarantino, for every epic scene, there was an agonizingly long winded scene that I couldn't wait to end.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Well the Year is Over, Sadly I didn't see 10 films at the Theater this year, primarily due to health reasons. So I think someone else needs to make the thread titled:

[Movies] Your Top 10 Films of 2015 (So Far)

I would but I doubt I'll see 10 next year.

Adding:
    5. Intersteller 8.75/10
    7. Grand Budapest Hotel 7/10
    9. Locke 6/10
    10. Hobbit: BOT5A 5/10
    11. Snowpiercer 3/10 (conveniently boring)
    My System
    Ivy Bridge 3570k OC 4.0
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Saphire 290
    Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte DDR3 1600 8GB

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post

1) The Guest
    2) Pride
    4) Snowpiercer

"The guest".. Watched it because You mentioned it as number 1.. In conclusion I can tell, that you order pizza with seawater, carpet and used socks.
    Whoah, HORRIBLE. Just awful. It had potential for a while, the last 30 minutes was like watching a "disaster movie", like the actual movie by the same name. WHAT. NO! NO!
    I like juice

I apparently enjoyed Exodus: Gods and Kings more than the average person. I'm generally seeing 5s and 6s out of 10s across the board from critics. I'm feeling it was more of a 7. Then again, I also feel Prometheus deserved an 8.

Still though my top 10 are as follows:

1. Interstellar
    2. Edge of Tomorrow
    3. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
    4. The Drop
    5. Guardians of the Galaxy
    6. Captain America: Winter Soldier
    7. Snowpiercer
    8. Godzilla
    9. Noah
    10. The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies

Honorable Mention: Exodus: Gods and Kings... honestly as long as you go into it as a Fantasy movie and are not offended by reinterpretations of religious material, it's worth renting. Joel Edgerton has a pretty awesome performance as Ramses in my opinion.

2014 movies I haven't seen but would still like to see eventually:

Fury
    Dracula, Untold
    Gone Girl
    Nightcrawler
    The Imitation Game
    Top Five
    American Sniper
    Selma

Edit: I forgot about X-Men: Days of Future Past. That would probably replace Godzilla and move the rest down the list.
    Last edited by ro9ue; 2015-01-08 at 12:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    2014 movies I haven't seen but would still like to see eventually:

Fury
    Dracula, Untold
    Gone Girl
    Nightcrawler
    The Imitation Game
    Top Five
    American Sniper
    Selma
    Gone Girl and The Imitation Game were very good, especially The Imitation Game, I really liked that.

Here's my attempt at a list:

1. The Imitation Game (10/10)
    2. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (10/10)
    3. Guardians of the Galaxy (9/10)
    4. X-Men: Days of Future Past (9/10)
    5. The Grand Budapest Hotel (9/10)
    6. Gone Girl (9/10)
    7. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (8/10)
    8. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (8/10)
    9. Edge of Tomorrow (8/10)
    10. How to Train Your Dragon 2 (8/10)

If I had watched all the films recently, I might have placed them differently. And I'm bad at rating, so not entirely sure they reflect my actual judgement.

Films I would like to see from 2014, but haven't had the chance to:
    - Interstellar
    - The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1
    - The Interview
    - Into the Woods
    - Exodus: Gods and Kings
    - Fury
    - Big Hero 6
    - The Theory of Everything
    - The Fault in Our Stars
    - 22 Jump Street
    - Noah
    - The Boxtrolls
    - Dracula Untold
    - A Million Ways to Die in the West
    - Calvary
    - Snowpiercer
    - Nightcrawler

Quote Originally Posted by Mahourai View Post
    Under the Skin is the best film I've seen this year and it will remain so, I'm sure.
    The underwater scene with the two guys (don't want to spoil anything but you probably know what I'm talking about) was easily the most disturbing imagery I've seen in a movie. It didn't make my top 10, but it was definitely really good, just really different. My main gripe with it was only the ending being a major letdown.

1. Hunger Games - Mockingjay Part 1
    2. Amazing Spider-Man 2
    3. Guardians of the Galaxy
    3. The Hobbit - Battle of the Five Armes
    3. X-Men Days of Future Past
    6. Divergent
    7. Captain America

All the 3's are equally good D:
    Last edited by Amirila; 2015-01-09 at 02:37 AM. Reason: moved Cap' America

Added some honorable mentions. Unless one of the other Oscarbait movies surprises me, I think The Imitation Game is the last movie that will enter my top 10, and I'll be watching that the 19th.

10+ Year Old Account
    Added some honorable mentions. Unless one of the other Oscarbait movies surprises me, I think The Imitation Game is the last movie that will enter my top 10, and I'll be watching that the 19th.
    What's wrong with Oscarbait again?

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    What's wrong with Oscarbait again?
    I don't know, guess you better ask somebody who thinks so.

Swapped Birdman and Whiplash around, and their ratings.

Added The Imitation Game. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 has moved out of the top ten list.

Will take a last look at my list in the following days and then write a little text about why I liked and ranked each movie as I did.