Moonkin odd spells naming.

Hey

First of all, sorry if this has already been covered in another thread:

so, I've always been feral, and probably will always be, but I've always had some curiosity towards Moonkin, and after collecting intellect gear from LFR I've been giving it a go for a few days. After 10mins or so trying to figure the rotation and basics in the target dummies right after I respecced, I noticed a few things that seemed weird and maybe somewhat funny about some of the Moonkin spells and mechanics:

- As you very well know, the spec is oriented to two schools of magic, Arcane for Astral-oriented spells and Nature for Natural spells, but then Sunfire is nature, and the Sun is a star. Yes, the Sun is natural, of course, but not a nature related to Earth (Azeroth) like Hurricane, Mushrooms, etc.
    - Starfall depicts a Crescent Moon over our heads, but the Moon is not a star.
    - Then we have the eclipse mechanic, which, in my opinion works opposite to what it should. Let me explain, when a Solar eclipse happens, the Moon is covering the Sun from the Earth perspective/view, so if the eclipse should empower something that should be the Lunar spells because the Sun is being "nullified" by the Moon. The opposite cannot be said because when a Lunar Eclipse happens the Sun doesn't do the same to the Moon, but you get my point that it should enhance Solar spells instead.

Don't get me wrong, the spec is good and all and I don't pretend Blizzard to rename the spells and the eclipse, because renaming wouldn't actually change anything, but I actually got puzzled when for several minutes when I was trying to figure out the rotation because in my opinion some spells don't fit with the school of magic or the eclipse they want them to be related to.

What you guys think?

Deleted
    You are putting too much thought into it .

15+ Year Old Account
    iv been thinking about the eclipse thing also, how can a lunar eclipse buff lunar spells
    as for sunfire, well its just the opposite of moonfire
    TREE DURID IS 4 PEE

You are thinking to much about the spell names, they might have odd names but it could be worse I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Elunedra View Post
    iv been thinking about the eclipse thing also, how can a lunar eclipse buff lunar spells
    as for sunfire, well its just the opposite of moonfire
    Maybe they're stronger because their power is not normally there during such an eclipse, making for a bigger difference in potential.

Or maybe Blizzard just went with what sounds nice and looks good.

For that matter, what the hell is up with Wrath, anyway? From the looks of it, we're lugging miniature suns around, but it does nature damage instead of fire. And way to little of it for a ball of iridescent plasma, as well.

Day and Night? Sun and Moon? Sun and fire and life/nature during the day and Moon and stars (distant ones?) during the night?

The sun is the source of all nature..

Starfall is a moon because stars are shown at night where the moon is out... you bring out the moon (above your head) and the stars fall from the sky

I've always agreed with the eclipse thing but it's semantics with respect to earth. Let's just say Azeroth works differently.. blocking the sun could empower the natural energy and blocking the moon the opposite.

blue buttons lunar

yellow buttons solar

pink button both pink button big damage

Quote Originally Posted by boomkinhero View Post
    Starfall is a moon because stars are shown at night where the moon is out
    but the moon can be seen during the day, when no stars are visible but the sun ._.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    For that matter, what the hell is up with Wrath, anyway? From the looks of it, we're lugging miniature suns around, but it does nature damage instead of fire. And way to little of it for a ball of iridescent plasma, as well.
    it used to be cool green spell, until blizzard all of a sudden had to make it yellow
    TREE DURID IS 4 PEE

Quote Originally Posted by Elunedra View Post
    it used to be cool green spell, until blizzard all of a sudden had to make it yellow
    It didn't really make any more sense back then, though. Whether it is a green ball of angry or a golden ball of angry, we're still lobbing balls composed of pure angry at our enemies, somehow.

At least it's no longer a re-colour of Lightning Bolt.

It used to be "nature" looking though, which in it's current state it doesn't.
    They'd better change solar spell school to fire, which would make more sense. On druid level though, not so much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Arcane doesn't even make any sense. Druids don't use arcane magic at all. Night elves hate arcane magic and only recently let their people practice it.

Deleted
    I like to see that people are so into the game that they actually think about stuff like that. Ive been playing moonkin for ages and never gave a second thought to any of it. Just raiding and odd pvp lol.

have fun discussing though haha

Quote Originally Posted by LeyrHao View Post
    - Starfall depicts a Crescent Moon over our heads, but the Moon is not a star.
    It was a hero ability in Warcraft 3. The falling stuff is supposed to be star-like.
    Diplomacy is just war by other means.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Time Sage View Post
    Arcane doesn't even make any sense. Druids don't use arcane magic at all. Night elves hate arcane magic and only recently let their people practice it.
    maybe starfall and moonfire where arcane spells, while arcane magic was forbidden we still had tyranade priesters of the moon as our leader.
    arcane magic from the moon is a lot saver then arcane magic from azeroth
    TREE DURID IS 4 PEE

Quote Originally Posted by Time Sage View Post
    Arcane damage != Arcane magic. Druids do not use Arcane magic, and all Druid spells that deal arcane damage do not belong to the Arcane magic school.

Arcane magic is a lore "mechanic", arcane damage is a game mechanic. They are completely separate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tasandriel View Post
    They'd better change solar spell school to fire, which would make more sense. On druid level though, not so much.
    On a side note, I miss the old Wrath graphic.
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zalon View Post
    You are putting too much thought into it .
    yea was thinking the same thing..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tasandriel View Post
    They could obviously let the whole druid of the flame come back would that be cool? maybe.. would it be good for druids lorewise? no not really.

Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    They could obviously let the whole druid of the flame come back would that be cool? maybe.. would it be good for druids lorewise? no not really.
    Fire is part of nature. Some lifeforms actually rely on it, like eukalyptus trees. Druids having fire based abilities isn't all that far fetched.

But by now, Blizz might as well make Druid spells deal "Lunar" and "Solar" damage.