Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Scribes, how do you guys make gold?

So, I'm thinking of going Herb/Inscription as my professions for when WoD hits. I plan on rolling a new 90 with the free boost, and will have to grind up the professions.

Pretty simple question really, can you make a decent amount of gold as a scribe? If so, what are the ways to do it easily? Apart from selling shoulder enchants, I don't know of how it's done.

THanks!

Deleted
    First you unlearn Inscription - After this, you level Enchanting.

Seriously though, I imagine you'd sell Glyphs and shoulder enchants.

Glyphs, it's a harder market than something like gems as there's a lot more glyphs but if you can control the market and keep up with undercutting you can make a good chunk of money.

I have never worried about in game gold ever. I rarely have over 1k on ant given 90. My guild provides unlimited guild repairs, provides enchants, pots, food, anything you may need to raid or to level up. We all donate to the bank daily and share amongst others so I have never needed to make monies off professions. But for scribes you need to max out early in the expansion and make shit tons of Darkmoon cards.

Deleted
    Last I remember, it's very hard because the AH can be controlled by people using bots which will buy and sell, cancel and repost and use the mailbox for them all using and maintaining a vast inventory of items.

I have inscription and on my server it seems impossible to make any money with it at this point. If I put on 100 glyphs i'm lucky if even 1 sells. You can make a little bit off of shoulder enchants.

You basically need to stand there all day constantly checking your auction addon for undercuts or you wont make any gold... Either that or you need some sort of bot to do it for you and i'd never recommend that as you just risk getting yourself banned.

Jewelcrafting nets me the most money by far and it requires no effort.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by freighttrain View Post
    I have never worried about in game gold ever. I rarely have over 1k on ant given 90. My guild provides unlimited guild repairs, provides enchants, pots, food, anything you may need to raid or to level up. We all donate to the bank daily and share amongst others so I have never needed to make monies off professions. But for scribes you need to max out early in the expansion and make shit tons of Darkmoon cards.
    Meh hate the donate to bank thing.. Prefer to pay for my own stuff. There's no real benefit donating. It just means you end up paying for other peoples stuff and probably spending more than you would if you just paid for your own if a single person slacks on paying.
    Last edited by Paulosio; 2014-01-06 at 06:18 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodokazz View Post

Yeah, I got it for the guild achievement and there really is no money in it. Shoulder chants, purples for 50g per across the board... lower when a new tier came out. Was pits. I dumped it quick and over the months afterwards, shoulders still around the 50g area from 5.1 - 5.4. Glyphs... 7g - 12g per. Piss!

Enchanting, I would sell a few K worth of stuff whenever I bothered to post stuff.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Glyphs sell at a huge profit and cost nothing to relist. You do not have to be constantly undercutting other people. You just have to be willing to relist every day, forever, and focus on making the most valuable glyphs. If so you will make plenty of gold.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its not a profession I use, but according to wow economy websites it has been quite profitable. Looked to me like it makes big money at the beginning of an expansion and right after patches are released.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account

and then after you figure out how bad enchanting is for income, you finally make the intelligent switch to the best income profession of all time. mining.

also jc.

since bc, my most profitable combo has been mining/jc. an honorable mention goes to engineering with the mote extractor. that thing alone got me epic flying on at least 10 different characters during bc and wrath. how i miss thee, primal air.

Most of my gold making with inscription is front loaded. That is to say, I make all of my gold at the beginning of the expansions when everyone wants their Darkmoon trinkets. I have five scribes for this very reason. Well, that and it's super easy to level. I have never bothered much with glyphs or shoulder inscriptions. Too cutthroat for me. >.<

For reference, in the first few months of MoP, I think I made around 500k from doing Darkmoon cards, extremely casually. More than enough to hold me over for the expansion, along with my other more consistent professions.
    Last edited by jetersky; 2014-01-07 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by greysaber View Post
    and then after you figure out how bad enchanting is for income, you finally make the intelligent switch to the best income profession of all time. mining.

also jc.

since bc, my most profitable combo has been mining/jc. an honorable mention goes to engineering with the mote extractor. that thing alone got me epic flying on at least 10 different characters during bc and wrath. how i miss thee, primal air.
    http://i.imgur.com/f2WDDvS.jpg
    I beg to differ I make 10x more money off of Enchanting then I do off of JC

Op Make glyphs and shoulder enchants buy mop herbs at around 20g a stack mill them. Make 10-20 glyphs a day if you don't sell out in a day make less Use your excess ink and buy the ink for making the shoulder enchants. Make those daily and GG profit. Most people on here don't understand even at 50-100g a shoulder enchant there is still profit to be earned and trust me when I say those enchants go fast!
    Last edited by Litharium; 2014-01-07 at 08:34 PM.

Glyph sellers are the worst. They're always selling those entry level glyphs waaaaay overpriced. If a new player was to start out, he wouldn't be able to afford his first glyph until he was 60... maybe.
    Priest Warrior
    You are not your role. You are not how much gold you have on your account.
    You are not the mount you ride. You are not the contents of your bank.
    You are not your epic purples. You are not a special and unique snowflake.
    You are the all-grinding, all-farming crap of Azeroth.

10+ Year Old Account
    With my Alchemy skill. Seriously though, the only thing I found myself making money on during MoP was shoulder enchants, and even then not much. Then again, over the course of MoP my server went from dying to dead, which probably had a bigger impact than my professions. (Which are Inscription/Alchemy. Gathering is for alts.)
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ansible View Post
    Glyph sellers are the worst. They're always selling those entry level glyphs waaaaay overpriced. If a new player was to start out, he wouldn't be able to afford his first glyph until he was 60... maybe.
    The issue isn't that they're overpriced, its that they're too convenient. Putting hours into making a stockpile of glyphs to post on the ah every single day is a lot of time. If you're only going to sell them at like 5g profit, why even bother. Glyph prices in single units like they are on the AH should be high.

On the other hand, if someone approached me (its happened before) and wanted to buy say an entire collection of glyphs to cover a class/spec I would sell at a much cheaper price, Its a simple matter to queue up all the glyphs of a certain time and hit next a few times for 5-600g profit provided they're buying like 20 of them.

As far as your complaint of the price goes, for a new player playing the game, you really don't "need" glyphs when leveling, and you literally can't use them till 25 anyways. When I'm leveling toons (with heirlooms mind you, so making way less gold from drops while leveling by way of less mobs killed to hit said level) I usually have 500g by the time I hit 60ish, 4k by 80 and 12k by 90. This is a combination of actual gold drops, quest rewards and queue rewards.

The average price for all server for a glyph is around 150g, some exceptions like the vendor learned glyphs being closer to 60g and super rare recipes like glyph of skeleton pushing 600. Let's assume minor glyphs are useless (for the most part they are) so you'll use 1 glyph at 25. Sure it may be a bit high priced at that point, may have to wait till like 40-50 to buy it if you blew your gold on mounts/riding. By the time you hit 60, you should have enough to buy 3 at even fairly high prices, by 70-80 you can buy any you want for your spec, by 90 you can buy the entire collection.

Switch this from average price to the prices on a high pop realm, and you end up with vendor glyphs at more like 2-20g, randomly trained at like 50-100 and rares at like 300g. Making this entire argument a non issue.

Just for the record, assuming herb prices around 20-30g/stack, That puts the price of one glyph at approximately 12-17g.

Deleted
    Glyphs is not neccessarily hard or very profitable.
    There are some things you should now:
    - It takes several weeks (maybe 2-3 months) and some serious grinding to learn ALL the glyphs
    - Glyphs you learn at the trainer have lots of competition
    - You need 2 Bankchars, equipped with glyph bags to handle ALL glyphs.
    - You need to post between 300 (some) and 900 (all in tripples) glyphs every day, as there are >450 different Glyphs
    - You will sell 10-20 maybe 30 at a good day.
    - You need to find and configure Addons to do that.
    - You will have 2-5 Competitioners that do the same EVERY DAY. 5 Times a Day. At least. And they will undercut you by one copper
    - People WILL report you for botting (which obviously is not true, its just addons)
    - People WILL send you hatemail and talk bad about you in /2 for being a ripoff selling glyphs to damn expensive for lowbies.
    - You will have to invest between 20k and 50k to get an inital stock of glyphs (like 5 of each. Better have 20, and a guildbank full of ink)

If you are willing to do that here are some interresting Facts:

EVERY glyph costs about 20-30 Gold to produce. You need 3 ink and some paper. 3 Ink mean 6 Pigments. To get 6 Pigments you need to mill about 1 Stack.
    Glyphs need different inks, but there is a ink trader that trades 1:1 ink from the pandaria ink. So one stack of herbs roughly equals about one glpyh. The rest is your profit margin. You will probably sell between 100 and 350 Gold per glyph, depending on a multitude of factors. This means you make about 250 Gold Pure profit per glyph. While this sounds fantastic, for every spend glyph you will be standing at the mailbox and take out 20-60 other glyphs that you did not sell.

So the gold income per time invested is about equal to any other profession.

There are lots of effects on changing markets and you can do a pretty good number of tricks with the market by raising prices, lowering prices, flooding the market or dry it out. Also a lot of external effects, like buffs on glyphs, addons, new Races/Classes/Rerolls that have interresting effect.
    Its also a VERY steady market, that allows you the use longtime factors. At the end of an expansion herbs, hence all existing glyphs are dirt-cheap. So you can stock up now, and when WoD hits, make a small fortune during the first 1-2 patches (remember, no flying -> hardly any herb bots around)

Most (if not all) of the goldcapped people dabble in this market, so its an interesting one.

Gold luck, and be sure to necro this thread when you reached gold cap.

Deleted
    i don't.

at the start of the expansion i made about 150k selling those epic off hands, been living off that for the whole expac. low pop server sucks, can't sell shit on the aH.

Quote Originally Posted by Ansible View Post
    They really aren't overpriced when you consider the fact that they are a one time buy.
    Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 4527-7566-5852. PM if you add me.

10+ Year Old Account

You then unlearn enchanting and learn engineering. too many chanters out there we loose money by making enchants. at least with engineering I actually make 10-20k gold per engineer per month.

With my chanter I make nothing cause it can't pay itself selling chants on ah.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

Quote Originally Posted by chaosjones View Post
    You then unlearn enchanting and learn engineering. too many chanters out there we loose money by making enchants. at least with engineering I actually make 10-20k gold per engineer per month.
    You could make 10-20k gold per month doing dailies... or maybe even just weeklies. It's the sort of income I'd expect to see per week doing a profession, and I imagine some would expect to see it per day who really sit on the AH.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."