Thread: New spell Idea

Lightbulb New spell Idea

This is my first time making a thread but I wanted to give an idea for replacing Dispersion as I find the skill very boring and only use it in pvp. It is a very large change and I hope to get some feedback or ideas and hear what people think. Please be nice

Shadow Infusion: Turns you into Val'kyr Form for 8 secs, Changes skills to be more powerful.
    Costs: 3 Shadow Orbs
    Cool-down: 2 mins

Mind-Blast: reduces damage done and healing by 10% for 8 sec
    Devouring Plague: Costs no Shadow Orbs, but can only be placed on 1 target at a time.
    Mind-Flay Does 30% damage to two other targets.

Reduced all damage taken by 90%

(Note) I know blizzard has been saying they wanted to have more cooldown skills that did not just add 20% more damage for a set time, and I thought it would be rely cool to have a skill that turned you into a Val'kyr and gave you some cool buffs to other skills for a short time. Making you ok at aoe or single target damage for a short time.
    Last edited by Spirthealer; 2014-01-07 at 03:38 PM.

1: Removing shadow priests' one defensive cooldown in PvE in favor of a dps cooldown? Waitwut? Just because it makes you in to a floaty orb and you can't use it properly in PvE doesn't mean that's the niche it fills (transforming you).
    2: Unlimited devouring plague multidotting for 20 seconds, plus cleaving mind flay (Insanity due to DP on multiple targets) - along with a mini bloodlust. Mate, you haven't just gone ahead and suggested a "20% more dmg for a set time", you've suggested "200% more dmg for a set time".

What if, it did not have the + 20% Haste, but gave more +% armor from Items instead? this would then give it a more defensive cooldown for pvp and damage for pve. The point was to give some ideas, yet you attacked it and did not give any ideas on how to improve the idea.

Also you can only have 1 Devouring Plagie on a target at a time unless times have changed, but that would not mean I would be able to spam it but just have it up for the full 20 secs on 1 target.

Also going over some minor ideas the Min flay would only do 30% of that damage to the other two targets making it an ok aoe damage buff for the 20 secs, what I was trying to come up with was an idea to give show priests that small aoe or single target buff while also having it a defensive cooldown and have it fun and not just a "turn into a ball and run around getting mana back that I could just get from shadowfield.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I like the valkyr thing I just dont like spells that have a a cd longer then 2 min... I prefer something that is usefull can be used more often en helps us survive...not a dps cd really..

Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    I like the valkyr thing I just dont like spells that have a a cd longer then 2 min... I prefer something that is usefull can be used more often en helps us survive...not a dps cd really..
    I do agree with that, maybe a shorter lasting timer but can be used more often might have been a better idea over all. have made some changes to cooldown and lasting time to maybe make it a good survive skill and dps cd

Quote Originally Posted by Spirthealer View Post
    What if, it did not have the + 20% Haste, but gave more +% armor from Items instead? this would then give it a more defensive cooldown for pvp and damage for pve. The point was to give some ideas, yet you attacked it and did not give any ideas on how to improve the idea.
    And it'd still remove the only usefull defensive shadow priest has for PvE. It's not my job to "fix" your random "let's give shadow priest an OP dps CD and do away with dispersion"-idea - that is up to you. I am merely pointing out the flaws in the concept.

Also you can only have 1 Devouring Plagie on a target at a time unless times have changed, but that would not mean I would be able to spam it but just have it up for the full 20 secs on 1 target.
    I have no issues putting up DP on multiple targets ATM.

Also going over some minor ideas the Min flay would only do 30% of that damage to the other two targets making it an ok aoe damage buff for the 20 secs, what I was trying to come up with was an idea to give show priests that small aoe or single target buff while also having it a defensive cooldown and have it fun and not just a "turn into a ball and run around getting mana back that I could just get from shadowfield.
    But giving it bonus armor doesn't make it a defensive cooldown. Bonus armor is freakin' useless against both casters and raid bosses alike.
    I don't get why you think that you need to replace dispersion. The reason you use dispersion isn't to have "fun" turning into a ball and regenerating mana - you use it as a defensive ability. I have not heard of a spriest using dispersion because of the mana in a raid encounter in... Well, forever, really.

It basicly seems to me like you're annoyed that dispersion's visual effect has you unable to attack and turns you into a spirit ball and you want to change that. And I can't for the life of me understand why.

I wanted to give an idea for replacing Dispersion as I find the skill very boring and only use it in pvp.
    ^ And this is where I stopped taking you seriously.

What did you do in regards of PvE? Run around on Timeless Isle on your own and jumping around in a random city?
    Removing our only (apart from glyphed fades 10%) defensive cooldown is not happening and it has great uses in most encounters in SoO both normal and heroic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodraco View Post
    And it'd still remove the only usefull defensive shadow priest has for PvE. It's not my job to "fix" your random "let's give shadow priest an OP dps CD and do away with dispersion"-idea - that is up to you. I am merely pointing out the flaws in the concept.

I have no issues putting up DP on multiple targets ATM.

But giving it bonus armor doesn't make it a defensive cooldown. Bonus armor is freakin' useless against both casters and raid bosses alike.
    I don't get why you think that you need to replace dispersion. The reason you use dispersion isn't to have "fun" turning into a ball and regenerating mana - you use it as a defensive ability. I have not heard of a spriest using dispersion because of the mana in a raid encounter in... Well, forever, really.

It basicly seems to me like you're annoyed that dispersion's visual effect has you unable to attack and turns you into a spirit ball and you want to change that. And I can't for the life of me understand why.
    The problem is it gives mana when we should not be having mana problems to start with, on top of the fact if you need 90% less damage in pve you are prob standing in something you should not be in, I'm trying to make the spell usefull for both pve/pvp damage and def cooldown while it not been op. and for the life of me don't see how it is op for it doing the small things it does.

it basicly seem to me you like having a skill that lets u stand in things u should not be standing it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rallyho View Post
    ^ And this is where I stopped taking you seriously.

What did you do in regards of PvE? Run around on Timeless Isle on your own and jumping around in a random city?
    Removing our only (apart from glyphed fades 10%) defensive cooldown is not happening and it has great uses in most encounters in SoO both normal and heroic.
    What letting u stand in bad stuff? as you can see from some of the changes I have made it is still 100% a def cooldown but can also be used at a damage cd, has two uses instead of just 1. I get the feeling people just read 1 line and that is it and do not give any feedback and just flame others... Can see why Blizzard has pulled away from asking feedback from there players now.

You are welcome to give ideas but all I see is I want a skill to let me stand in bad stuff. I have used the skill on 1 fight in SoO which was the 6th boss for bombs but been on a 2 min cooldown I could only use it so often.

The problem is it gives mana when we should not be having mana problems to start with, on top of the fact if you need 90% less damage in pve you are prob standing in something you should not be in, I'm trying to make the spell usefull for both pve/pvp damage and def cooldown while it not been op. and for the life of me don't see how it is op for it doing the small things it does.

it basicly seem to me you like having a skill that lets u stand in things u should not be standing it.

- - - Updated - - -

What letting u stand in bad stuff? as you can see from some of the changes I have made it is still 100% a def cooldown but can also be used at a damage cd, has two uses instead of just 1. I get the feeling people just read 1 line and that is it and do not give any feedback and just flame others... Can see why Blizzard has pulled away from asking feedback from there players now.

You are welcome to give ideas but all I see is I want a skill to let me stand in bad stuff. I have used the skill on 1 fight in SoO which was the 6th boss for bombs but been on a 2 min cooldown I could only use it so often.
    Defensive abilities are an integral part of raid encounters. Not just something you use so you can "stand in bad stuff". Want examples?
    On Elegon, you needed to soak a hit that would one shot you without a defensive. Dispersion was very usefull for that.
    You needed to place durable people outside of FnV zones on Vizier' zorlok (as you only got 2, or 14 people covered in 25 in last phase). Defensives were used to survive for the last 11 people.
    WOTE's entire heroic concept was "make sure you've got enough extreme damage reduction CD's to soak the sparks of every add you kill".
    Solo soaking abilities that would deal otherwise lethal damage (Blade lord's Strike, Lei shen's static shock, Ra Den's vita/anima orb explosions, Aim).
    Removing the only defensive ability priests has in favor of your val'kyr that gives armor which is useless against 95% of all boss abilties, is just... Stupid, really.

What letting u stand in bad stuff?
    No, it let's you ignore certain fight mechanics altogether. Since you don't see how that works maybe you should check this http://howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5038
    The only thing that's wrong with Dispersion is that we can be CC'ed while in it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do not disagree with you per-say but It's kinda funny as I recall the droves of SPs bashing dispersion for having a defensive cd as their 51pt talent.