10+ Year Old Account

Why is my pet not taunting?

I just realized this when someone pointed it out... Why would my pet not be using Growl if it's on auto? It seems I have to manually press it to get it to work most of the time.

Unrelated, is there a reason Misdirect would stop working entirely? I've noticed it will fail occasionally (says Ability not ready yet' indefinitely. No cooldown timer, nothing. It just stays unlit.) and requires a logout to fix.
    Last edited by chazus; 2014-01-04 at 05:13 AM.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Your pet won't taunt elites higher than, um.... I think it's 2 levels above you. So the 92 elites on Timeless aren't taunt able (it might be one level... been a while).

In those cases you can use Glyph of Misdirection and macro Growl to a core shot so your pet is taunting all the time

They won't use Growl on mobs that are immune to it. You can use it manually, but it won't do any good.

Depending on the scenario, have you tried to click the NPC, have your pet attack it, then you attack it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I just realized this when someone pointed it out... Why would my pet not be using Growl if it's on auto? It seems I have to manually press it to get it to work most of the time.

Unrelated, is there a reason Misdirect would stop working entirely? I've noticed it will fail occasionally (says Ability not ready yet' indefinitely. No cooldown timer, nothing. It just stays unlit.) and requires a logout to fix.
    I know that my pet won't taunt a lot of the elites on Timeless Isle. My thinking behind it would be that when they made hunter pets unable to taunt raid bosses, they simply raised the level cap on targets which Growl would work without any micromanagement on the hunter's end. So typically anything over level 91. Maybe the Timeless Isle elites were an oversight. I could be wrong, though. I don't have too many problems keeping things on my pet.

Are you using the Glyph of Misdirection when you have that issue?

Quote Originally Posted by CTSNic View Post
    Depending on the scenario, have you tried to click the NPC, have your pet attack it, then you attack it?
    That doesn't do much good unless you're able to open with Misdirection each pull. If your pet can't Growl the target, all he's got for threat is his melee ability which won't do much for holding aggro from the hunter himself. Glyph of Misdirection is the way to go if you're doing anything on the Timeless Isle or in any solo PvE, in my opinion.

Glyph of MD makes it largely irrelevant. I'm rather forgetful, so I almost prefer to use the glyph over hoping I don't brain fart and leave growl on, pissing off a tank later on.

15+ Year Old Account
    I know misdirect would not work on my Quilen pet when I was doing warbringers. Pet out of range. Any other pet worked fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Prag View Post
    Glyph of MD makes it largely irrelevant. I'm rather forgetful, so I almost prefer to use the glyph over hoping I don't brain fart and leave growl on, pissing off a tank later on.
    If only we could still tank raid bosses : /. Glyph of MD isn't nearly enough to keep a boss of anyone that isn't your pet unfortunately. What gets me is my Lock friend and I two-man some older raids and his Voidwalker has no problem tanking and keeping threat but he dies incredibly fast. Our pets can't hold threat on bosses for crap but when they do hold it they are halfway decent at staying alive. WTB the best of both worlds : (.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just spec the pets into thunderclap and they will keep aggro pretty easy....just dont attack mobs on timeless isle 1.st.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pengalor View Post
    If only we could still tank raid bosses : /. Glyph of MD isn't nearly enough to keep a boss of anyone that isn't your pet unfortunately. What gets me is my Lock friend and I two-man some older raids and his Voidwalker has no problem tanking and keeping threat but he dies incredibly fast. Our pets can't hold threat on bosses for crap but when they do hold it they are halfway decent at staying alive. WTB the best of both worlds : (.
    Glyph of Distraction shot doesn't work for raid bosses either?

Quote Originally Posted by Prag View Post
    Glyph of Distraction shot doesn't work for raid bosses either?
    It hasn't since Usso taunted Heroic LK 25 during berserk, iirc.

Or maybe it lasted a tier beyond that. I seem to recall taunting Chimeraeron during that last phase where he runs around gibbing people?