Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Potential 5.5 and WoD release date

The recent post from Holinka released the time Blizzard would like to keep seasons going for, which is 20-25 weeks. Considering that season 14 started on September 3rd we would more than likely see the new season start on February 24th at the lasted assuming it will last 25 weeks. Season 15 will more than likely be with patch 5.5, so we can expect to see the goodies with that patch no later.

* At 20 weeks 5.5 would come at the earliest of January 20th

https://twitter.com/holinka ( Holinkas twitter for those that want source)

As for WoD, if Blizzard were to keep with this model we can expect it no sooner than June 20th and no later than August 26th, assuming they'll give a week between seasons.

Although I believe this is a good perdiction, it is an alarming one. In my honest opinion nine months of doing SoO content and the likely small patch of 5.5 between the expansion would get old fast, and I don't believe I'll be subscribed for the majority of that time.

What do you guys think of this?
    Last edited by KFI; 2014-01-08 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Added an earliest date for 5.5

I think this site needs a poll on how much subs will Blizzard have after the terrible stretch of months of no content prior to WoD.

Options:

* They will have ~7.5 mil two weeks after WoD ships, same as the last number we had - or more (WoD >= last patch of MoP).
    * They will have 1 mil less.
    * They will have 2 or more mil less.

Sounds accurate if that's assuming it's an ideal prediction. With no drawbacks, delays, technical issues, etc.

So. Many. Threads.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war. - George Santayana
    Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. - George Santayana

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    I think this site needs a poll on how much subs will Blizzard have after the terrible stretch of months of no content prior to WoD.

Options:

* They will have ~7.5 mil two weeks after WoD ships, same as the last number we had - or more (WoD breaking even with last patch of MoP or doing better).
    It's pretty safe to predict that they will lose more than 2 million since SoO launch. How much will come back for WoD is yet unclear.

I just wish they could say something like 'hey guys, we're aiming for QX for release' or 'we have a pre-patch in the works' or 'we have no real info to give you, so here's some fun screenshots'. Give us SOMETHING, other than silence. I mean, I know why they don't/can't - the vocal community members would go into a frenzy. I'm just getting so tired of waiting for information.

Deleted
    Late summer/early autumn sounds reasonable as the release date of WoD. Ppl will unsub and resub, no big deal. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post

Options:

* They will have ~7.5 mil two weeks after WoD ships, same as the last number we had - or more (WoD >= last patch of MoP).
    You'd think Blizzard would do something about such large gaps of time. It's almost likely they always forget about pre-expansion time or they just don't care about the money they are losing.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderPussy View Post
    So. Many. Threads.
    Or as we say in The Netherlands: "Ik zie door de bomen het bos niet meer". (I can't see the wood for trees)

Stood in the Fire eldritchforeshadow's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am still keeping my guess at May 2014 release date. Ok I know, I am being overly optimistic lol.

I think it's worth pointing out too that the 20-25 weeks was how long Holinka feels that a season should last, not how long it will be. (S)he even said that some might disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    I think it's worth pointing out too that the 20-25 weeks was how long Holinka feels that a season should last, not how long it will be. (S)he even said that some might disagree.
    He. The name is Brian.

There's always some vagueness which people can interpret depending on how they feel and how much trust they have in Blizzard. Somehow, with time, most of us seem to lose that trust.

Shortest beta period we've ever seen was 4 months for Burning Crusade from Vanilla. If they intend on having another PvP season, it follows that they anticipate there will be time to complete another full pvp season, with this one not even being completed yet. Beta could overlap with this of course, but its highly unlikely it will overlap much.

Based on what we've seen in the past, seems like SoO is going to be like ICC. Get comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Struggle View Post
    Shortest beta period we've ever seen was 4 months for Burning Crusade from Vanilla. If they intend on having another PvP season, it follows that they anticipate there will be time to complete another full pvp season, with this one not even being completed yet. Beta could overlap with this of course, but its highly unlikely it will overlap much.

Based on what we've seen in the past, seems like SoO is going to be like ICC. Get comfortable.
    They have already confirmed another season this expansion.

If they tell us what date they are aiming for and fail to reach that date (which is quite likely in the video game industry, just look at how often the Stick of Truth has been pushed back, or Diablo III) then the fans go nutso. Its done when it is done. I've already begun playing other games and let me tell you that F2P really sucks worse than I thought it would.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    If they tell us what date they are aiming for and fail to reach that date (which is quite likely in the video game industry, just look at how often the Stick of Truth has been pushed back, or Diablo III) then the fans go nutso.
    It's much simpler than that.

They don't know the date themselves.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Earlier this week: "There won't be a 5.5, and we have an extra season if needed."

Last 2 days: "We will be using that "in case of emergency" season." "We'll see about making SoO cross-realm." (Hint: Raids go x-realm after they are outdated by new raids)

This month yet: New raid and season announced.

Next month: 5.5 goes to the PTR. Has some of the WoD changes to Arenas.

5.5 goes live: March

6.0 goes live: August

WoD launches: Late August
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Earlier this week: "There won't be a 5.5, and we have an extra season if needed."

Last 2 days: "We will be using that "in case of emergency" season." "We'll see about making SoO cross-realm." (Hint: Raids go x-realm after they are outdated by new raids)

This month yet: New raid and season announced.

Next month: 5.5 goes to the PTR. Has some of the WoD changes to Arenas.

5.5 goes live: March

6.0 goes live: August

WoD launches: Late August
    While this sounds reasonable, I don't think they'll have an official 5.5, to go back on something they legitimately promised they wouldn't have, can't look good. I imagine they'd say anything to avoid an official 5.5.

As for WoD, if Blizzard were to keep with this model we can expect it no sooner than June 20th and no later than August 26th, assuming they'll give a week between seasons.
    That's incorrect. Seasons have never ended with the release of an expansion, they come out with the pre-patch such as 3.0 or 4.0 or 5.0. Since the pre-patch is one month before the actual expansion that means July 20 to September 26.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazzorx View Post
    While this sounds reasonable, I don't think they'll have an official 5.5, to go back on something they legitimately promised they wouldn't have, can't look good. I imagine they'd say anything to avoid an official 5.5.
    I think they'll have to do an official 5.5 in order to stop the bleeding. Because they'll need a new raid with upgrades over SoO (at least normal) gear. They might not call it a new tier, but I think 5.5 with a new (smaller than the new 14-boss average) raid is inevitable if WoD is indeed delayed into the late Summer or Fall.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)