Page 1 of 2
LastLast

WOD - No Beta, No PTR

Just wondering if Blizzard is really trying to change things up and get a lot of excitement back into WOW. To my knowledge there has been no talk of a beta release to this point, yet at Blizzcon they said WOD was a long way along in development. With another pvp season coming out what if they release WOD with out going the PTR route and time it with the end of the next PVP season...so 20 - 24 weeks away. Pre or early summer. They have said they have the most programmers working on it then they have ever had. What if they are testing the crap out of it internally and will just release it live for everyone to see and play. I for one would really enjoy that. It would go back to the exploring and learning the game yourself like from WOW's early days. And yes I know it won't be perfect and there will be bugs.....but I still think it would be awesome and get some excitement back in WOW. Thoughts??

They'd be foolish not to do a beta. For the simple reason of why games have betas. To test shit.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    There is no way they won't do a beta. There's things that only players discover, some of which are game-breaking.

See: The Mogu'shan Palace bat exp farm, The Lich King exploit, Donkey Kong 64, Ocarina of Time.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

They'd be foolish not to do a beta. For the simple reason of why games have betas. To test shit.
    Yet the game still releases with a lot of these reported Beta bugs.

This is something I posted on the official forums a day or two ago. With the "competitive" raids being only 20 Man now, they can easily test that in house. Dungeons, quests and all the other fluff can be patched on the fly. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see them release the expansion without giving all the competitive guilds a heads up on the raid bosses.

It would certainly make for a much more interesting world first race.

Deleted
    On the WoD web page it even shows a link for beta opt-in at the bottom. Not that it means that it's 100% sure there will be a beta, but at least it was planned to do one at the time of the announcement.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    It would be a bit foolish yes, but I think it would be kinda cool too. Just like the OP said, exploring the world and learning about all the new stuff with everyone at the same time would be different.

They should make changes quickly and fix bugs that are found without delay. Using that large team they have. Explain to everyone that there may be above normal downtime occasionally but know they are just fixing problems.

they don't have to do a beta or a PTR, those are privileged, they can get by fairly easily without opening the doors & test inside, it'll just cost more to hire people

Where as I think the probability of them doing this is zero, I did wonder when the PTR's were implemented. Obviously there was Vanilla beta, but has there always been a PTR for patches?

People need to chill out, its been about 1 week since new years, We all knew that Blizzard was not going to be punching a lot out for us during the holidays and its as if they expected a truck load of info on January 2nd. We will get stuff when Blizzard is ready for us to have it. Chill out and call 1-800-calmtheFdown.

5.4 has been out what? 4 months? A tier is usually 6 months with a small content drop 2 months after each tier. People need to stop running around like chickens with their heads cut off. There is going to be several more months of no new content but thats the norm. Soon we will have beta, a pre-wod systems change and some kind of pr-release event. There will be stuff but it will not be immediately.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ugum View Post

This is something I posted on the official forums a day or two ago. With the "competitive" raids being only 20 Man now, they can easily test that in house. Dungeons, quests and all the other fluff can be patched on the fly. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see them release the expansion without giving all the competitive guilds a heads up on the raid bosses.

compare number of bugs in beta vs after beta...

Quote Originally Posted by akamurdoch View Post
    compare number of bugs in beta vs after beta...
    And what numbers would those be ?
    Can you give us an actual list.

Professional testers don't think like players.
    Players will do things that professionals will not.
    The testing is more than bug-finding, but also about the experience.
    From the skilled to the newbies, something that a professional cannot replicate.

Some bugs or limits will only be hit with sufficient numbers, like the "Additional instances cannot be launched" issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whats with all these threads lately. Beta will happen, like it always does. I dont understand why are people posting so many date/beta/randomcrap threads things over things that are not even out. But whatever, this is mmo-champion after all, overreaction galore.

Quote Originally Posted by Ugum View Post

Because finding literally 100% of bugs is almost impossible.

And what numbers would those be ?
    Can you give us an actual list.
    This is an absurd request. Go look at any of the MoP videos and the game now. There's a metric fuckton of bugs gone.

Beta is required.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Because finding literally 100% of bugs is almost impossible.

This is an absurd request. Go look at any of the MoP videos and the game now. There's a metric fuckton of bugs gone.
    Jade Forests starting zone changed to an extreme degree compared to what it was in beta. Use to be you just appeared at a wreck site and went from there.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Use to be you just appeared at a wreck site and went from there.
    And for alliance was a clusterf*ck at launch, you couldn't see what you were supposed to shoot at?

Also, I don't like the idea of the PTR they should go back to giving raiders a blank start and have to learn.

Beta is a bonus, but we will hear about it before end of month imo, and probably a sub 12month bonus thing aswell.

There will likely be a beta but it won't be anything like the MoP beta, which was flooded with the annual subscriber folks. Contrary to what some people are saying here, though, betas are only slightly for testing these days. The majority of testing is now done "in-house" by Blizzard with their internal testing teams. Errors and problems certainly come to light during the beta, but of course they also come to light after release.

Although I enjoyed playing the MoP beta, I think it's much better for games to be released in a finished and polished format. I'd rather have a nice new experience than play through something buggy and half-finished. It's not as fun to replay something you've seen during development.

I wouldn't get too excited about it coming out anytime soon. Blizzard always says that they've improved their development speed. It seems like when they add more developers it actually just improves the quality but keeps the release schedule pretty slow. Keep in mind that their release dates are usually announced months out, meaning that at this point April or May would seem optimistic.

i do agree that sites like this kinda ruins the game experience, the exploration and surprise element of the game by posting every single thing that happens in every single patch. there is nothing in a patch you dont already know. But its either knowing all or have a lot of bugs and possibly have the game being unplayable. So we gotta chose the lesser evul

Quote Originally Posted by Aus Nate View Post
    And for alliance was a clusterf*ck at launch, you couldn't see what you were supposed to shoot at?

Also, I don't like the idea of the PTR they should go back to giving raiders a blank start and have to learn.

Beta is a bonus, but we will hear about it before end of month imo, and probably a sub 12month bonus thing aswell.
    without testers, they would lack feedback for fights. Like if a mechanic is too hard or a bug.

Quote Originally Posted by Aus Nate View Post

True it was a clusterfuck but that was because everyone was trying to shoot the same thing at the same time meaning that people had to wait until they got lucky and hit it first. A beta test is needed as it will weed out the vast majority of bugs and potential exploits.