Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

My Spellbreaker class concept (long)

Spellbreaker

So here is the Spellbreaker thread. I hope everyone who requested this thread is happy, because here it is. It wasn't as difficult as I originally thought to create the specs for this concept. The hard part was finding pictures that represented the direction I wanted to go in terms of specs (Thank goodness for DOTA! ). At any rate, here is the class concept. I hope you enjoy my take on it.

And yes, I still think that Tinker is the next class.

Introduction

The Spellbreaker is an anti-magic counter class that utilizes a variety of magical abilities to confuse and dismantle foes. The class is highly specialized, as such, only 2 races can become them. I chose this limitation in order to increase the class' flavor, and to make each faction's version feel a bit more immersive and interesting. I want a Night Elf Spellbreaker to actually feel like a specialized NE class, and vice versa for their Blood Elf counterparts.

Though their abilities are the same, they would have different animations and icons, much like Blood Lust/Heroism for Shaman. This would add differentiation, yet still maintain balance. So while the Blood Elf's abilities may appear more firey in nature, the Night Elf's abilities would appear more arcane in nature. Ideally, this differentiation would be apparent in all of the Spellbreaker's abilities.

Basics

Races: Night Elf, Blood Elf, Forsaken, Worgen (Forsaken take up the Phoenix, and Worgen take up the Faerie Dragon. Undead Spellbreakers can also appear as undead elves).
    Armor: Mail
    Stats: INT/AGI
    Weapons: 1h swords, 1h axes, 1h maces, fist weapons, Daggers, shields, 2h swords, 2h maces, 2h axes
    Specs: Control (DPS), Vengeance (DPS), Sentinel (Tank)

Note Spellbreakers do NOT use their equipped weapons in battle. All spellbreakers carry use double or triple-bladed glaive weapons depending on spec. These weapons allow melee attacks. However, the Expertise spec changes your auto attack into a ranged attack that hits enemies up to 35 yards away.

Blood Elf and Night Elf Spellbreakers are divided up into two unique factions who use two very different, yet very powerful creatures as their standard bearers:

The Phoenix

The Blood Elf Spellbreaker honors the Phoenix, a mystical creature that is immune to magic. Invoking this incredible creature has allowed the Blood Elf Spellbreakers to annihilate magical and non-magical foes alike.

The Faerie Dragon

The Night Elf Spellbreaker honors the Faerie Dragon, a small mystical creature that is immune to magic. Invoking this mystical creature has allowed the Night Elf Spellbreakers to become formidable fighters that easily rival their Blood Elf Counterparts.

These two creatures give the two types of spellbreakers unique abilities. Blood Elf Spellbreakers get Phoenix Flare, Phoenix Egg, Phoenix Skin, and the summon ability Phoenix. Night Elf Spellbreakers receive Mana Flare, Phase, Dragon Egg, and the summon ability Faerie Dragon.

Faction Abilities

Mana Flare/Phoenix Flare: Summons an orb of magic that hovers near the Spellbreaker, periodically damaging nearby targets. Does additional damage to opponents using abilities that require resources. Lasts for 45 seconds.

Phoenix Egg/Fairie Egg: Blesses you with the gift of eternal life, allowing you to resurrect yourself, or give your gift of resurrection to an ally. Players resurrected by Phoenix or Faerie egg take 25% less damage from magic for 12 seconds after returning to life.

Phase/Phoenix Skin: Gives Night Elf Spellbreakers the ability to shift out of existence, completely immune to damage. Gives Blood Elf Spellbreakers the skin of a phoenix, making them immune to damage. Both lasts for 5 seconds. (cooldown)

Summon Phoenix/Faerie Dragon: Summons a guardian to aid you in battle for up to 30 seconds.

Faerie Dust/Blessing of the Phoenix: Heal yourself over several seconds.

Shared Abilities

The following are abilities that all Spellbreakers would have regardless of faction.

Control Magic (Core Ability): Takes control of an enemy's summoned unit. The remaining duration of the stolen unit is reduced by half. This ability is vastly enhanced in the Control spec. This ability does not work on demons.

Spell Reverse (Core Ability): Steals a positive buff from an enemy and applies it to a nearby friendly unit, or takes a negative buff from an ally and applies it to a nearby enemy unit. This ability can be auto cast.

Feedback: Hits a target with your weapon for 100% weapon damage. Reduces the power of their damaging and Healing spells or abilities for 6 seconds.

Distortion: Banishes the target, removing it from play for 5 seconds. Upon returning, two illusions of the target are created under the Spellbreaker's control.

Mana Beast: (passive) Grants passive bonuses based on spec.

Throw Glaive: Throws your glaive at a target up to 30 yards away. This ability is greatly enhanced in the Vengeance spec.

Spell Immunity: Makes you immune to magic for 10 seconds. However, during its duration, you are also unable to be healed from all sources of healing magic. Including your own healing spells.

Specs

Control

DPS (INT) The Control spec grants you complete control over summoned units and beneficial magic. The Control spec extends the duration of the Phoenix and Faerie Dragon summon, as well as expands the power of the Control Magic ability.

Abilities

+Improved Control Magic: Now allows you to copy the summoned ability of an ally, or an enemy for up to an hour. This replaces your Phoenix or Faerie Dragon ability. The copied summoned unit takes on the properties of your Phoenix or Faerie Dragon, and has their abilities, as well as its original abilities. The copied unit lasts for twice as long as its original. You cannot control Demons or Totem-based Elementals.
    +Improved Mana/Phoenix Flare: (passive) You can now summon two Mana/Phoenix Flares at once, and the flares follow you.
    +Inversion: Places a Damage over time spell on the target that increases the damage it takes from the Spellbreaker. If a positive buff is on the target, Inversion will take the place of the buff. Once Inversion ends, the buff will return.
    +Copy Magic: Steals a spell or ability from an enemy for 20 seconds. The stolen ability is weaker than the original version.
    +Devour Magic: You absorb your summoned unit, healing yourself and replenishing your resources.
    +Mana Beast: (passive) When you kill an enemy that grants honor or experience, your spell power is increased for 10 seconds.
    +Dampening Ward: Summons a ward at the caster's location that attacks a target for low damage. These wards produce a dampening field within 6 yards of their location that reduces magical damage. You can summon a maximum of three wards. Wards either take on the theme of the Phoenix or the Faerie Dragon, shooting fire or arcane missiles.

Vengeance

DPS (AGI) The Vengeance spec is the more physical spec of the Spellbreaker class. The Vengeance Spellbreaker's glaive recieves an extra blade which allows it to travel great distances, and damages enemies from afar. This makes the Vengeance spec the only spec outside of the Hunter class that can perform competitive physical ranged DPS. Vengeance uses 2h weapons instead of 1h weapons and shields.

Abilities

+Vorpal Blades: (passive) Increases the range of your auto-attack by 30 yards. Reduces the cooldown of Throw Glaive and allows it to hit the target twice on impact.
    +Mark of Vengeance: Marks a target, increasing the damage of your Vorpal Blades, and allowing you the ability to teleport to the target, or away from the target.
    -Vengeance Advance: Teleports you to the marked target.
    -Vengeance Retreat: Teleports you 20 yards away from the target.
    +Shadow Strike: Throws a shadow dagger at target, placing a DoT on the target, and reducing their movement speed. The weaker the target, the more damage done by the DoT.
    +Mana Beast: When you kill a target that grants honor or experience, your movement speed is increased for 10 seconds.
    +Avatar of Vengeance The spellbreaker becomes the Avatar of Vengeance, increasing its damage, and randomly spawning spirits of vengeance that attack targets in melee range.

Sentinel

Tank (AGI) The Sentinel spec is the tank spec of the class. The Sentinel spec excels as counter magic and shield abilities to protect allies, and weaken foes.

Abilities

+Protector of the Sunwell/Grove: Increases your armor. In addition, increases the duration of spell immunity, and Phase/Phoenix Skin by 3 seconds, and reduces their cooldowns by 1 minute.
    +Beguile: (passive) Enemies who attack the Spellbreaker have their attacks slowed.
    +Sun/Moon Blade Slashes three targets in an arc in front of the Spellbreaker, burning them with fire or arcane magic that reduces their armor.
    +Mass Silence: Silences all enemies in a 10 yard radius around the Spellbreaker. The silence is perfect, preventing magic as well as abilities for 8 seconds.
    +Sentinel Shield: Slams your shield into a target, dealing multiplied weapon damage.
    +Magic Shield: (Passive) When you block an attack with your shield, the cooldown of your Sun/Moon blade ability is removed.
    +Arcane Field: Places a magical barrier around the Spellbreaker that enemies cannot pass through.
    +Nether Swap: Instantly swaps positions with an ally, reducing the damage you both take for 3 seconds afterwards.
    +Mana Beast: When you kill a target that gives honor or experience, the cooldown of your Phase/Phoenix Skin ability is reduced by 3 seconds.
    +Perfect Immunity: (passive) Your spell immunity cooldown now allows you to heal via Faerie Dust or Blessing of the Phoenix.

Special Thanks

I would like to thank all the great artists who drew these awesome pictures. I would like to thank Blizzard for creating this great game. I would to thank everyone who took the time to read this post and respond.

Q&A

Q: There's too many New Class or Hero threads on this forum!
    A: Yeah, so one more isn't going to hurt anything.

Q: You're using so many pictures!
    A: I realize that. I didn't feel like drawing new drawings just for the purpose of a theorycrafting thread. I don't claim any of the art in this thread as my own. I also don't make any money from these threads. This is just for fun.

Q: Spellbreaker is a horrible class concept!
    A: Thanks for your input. I disagree so I made a thread about it. If you don't like it, don't waste your time responding.

Q:What's up with the talent trees?
    A: Didn't feel like making one this time.

Q: They're never going to implement Spellbreaker blah blah blah!
    A: I realize that. I just did this for fun. Relax.

I hope you enjoyed the concept. If you have any suggestions or comments, please feel free to post. This thread will be under constant revision until the final revision is completed, so please check back for changes.

Quite like this idea

Not sure the tank using the cooldown that prevents healing from anyone but himself would go down too well however!

(And mages would be upset over someone else getting a phoenix ofc heh)

This is an interesting take on the spell breaker. Especially like the two different factions.

I prefer your Tinker and Chemist concepts though.

I don't how these abilities are supposed to work in PvE. Mobs often don't use resources, don't have special buffs/debuffs or really anything else these spells utilize. So are they only meant for PvP?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhamses View Post
    This is an interesting take on the spell breaker. Especially like the two different factions.

I prefer your Tinker and Chemist concepts though.
    As do I. This was mainly to challenge myself in terms of class creation. I still think the next class will be technology-based.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubbl3 View Post
    I don't how these abilities are supposed to work in PvE. Mobs often don't use resources, don't have special buffs/debuffs or really anything else these spells utilize. So are they only meant for PvP?
    Which abilities in particular are you talking about? Mana Flare for example does damage regardless. It just does extra damage is a target happens to have an ability or a spell.

So for example, if this Gnoll and Murloc:

http://www.wowhead.com/npc=2372/muds...noll#abilities
    http://www.wowhead.com/npc=15668#abilities

performs Sling Mud, or use Fear, the Mana Flare will react and hit them with additional damage.

If they don't have an ability, Mana flare will do normal damage in regular intervals.

Seems like a fun class, and a mail tank would certainly be intresting

Conceptually, this is very cool. I like the way symbolized BE by pheonix and NE by faerie dragon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    Conceptually, this is very cool. I like the way symbolized BE by pheonix and NE by faerie dragon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Straamibuu View Post
    Quite like this idea

Not sure the tank using the cooldown that prevents healing from anyone but himself would go down too well however!

(And mages would be upset over someone else getting a phoenix ofc heh)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amirila View Post
    Seems like a fun class, and a mail tank would certainly be intresting
    Thanks! When I was creating this, I almost didn't utilize that concept because I felt that no one would choose the Faerie Dragon over the Phoenix. Then I went over their abilities in WC3 and realized they were pretty cool. Plus their wings are a very cool design. I could imagine some players choosing the more naturalistic Dragons over the firey Phoenix.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    As do I. This was mainly to challenge myself in terms of class creation. I still think the next class will be technology-based.
    Well you never know. Blizzard could always throw us a curve ball and create a Spellbreaker anti-magic class. It could be a way of giving us Demon Hunters without giving us Demon Hunters.

Also people love their elves.

though cool it wouldnt work. your vengeance spec is basically a WC3 warden which doesnt really fit with spellbreaker.
    also blizzard hates faction/race based spells. even if its just a different name for a the same spell it would still seen as a faction base spell.
    also only have 2 races that can use it i can would be an issue.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

I like how you were unique with an int and agi dps spec. Good job!

10+ Year Old Account
    Wondering how Shields would work for tanking? Would the tank spec have a passive the converts all Str into agi?
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

i would also like to point out. spell breaker is a blood elf creation. how did night elves learn it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Auxis View Post
    Wondering how Shields would work for tanking? Would the tank spec have a passive the converts all Str into agi?
    Since shields are considered armor, this concept assumes that shields would fall under the new WoD armor stat system that adjusts armor stats to class stats.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darkvoltinx View Post
    though cool it wouldnt work. your vengeance spec is basically a WC3 warden which doesnt really fit with spellbreaker.
    Why wouldn't it? The Warden has anti-caster abilities as well, and it utilizes a glaive. I'm not seeing why it would be a huge issue to attach the Warden concept to a Spellbreaker class.

also blizzard hates faction/race based spells. even if its just a different name for a the same spell it would still seen as a faction base spell.
    Only if its two different classes like Paladins and Shaman. In Vanilla those were two distinct classes who had to be completely balanced around each other in order for faction balance to work. If you have the same class in two factions, that is no longer an issue. Also we have faction based spells in the game already. Alliance Shaman have Heroism and Horde Shaman have Bloodlust.

also only have 2 races that can use it i can would be an issue.
    Why?

- - - Updated - - -

i would also like to point out. spell breaker is a blood elf creation. how did night elves learn it?
    I'm sure Blizzard would come up with a crazy way for it to happen. In short, you need Spellbreakers outside of just the Blood Elf race for it to be a viable WoW class.

Since shields are considered armor, this concept assumes that shields would fall under the new WoD armor stat system that adjusts armor stats to class stats.

- - - Updated - - -

Why wouldn't it? The Warden has anti-caster abilities as well, and it utilizes a glaive. I'm not seeing why it would be a huge issue to attach the Warden concept to a Spellbreaker class.

Only if its two different classes like Paladins and Shaman. In Vanilla those were two distinct classes who had to be completely balanced around each other in order for faction balance to work. If you have the same class in two factions, that is no longer an issue. Also we have faction based spells in the game already. Alliance Shaman have Heroism and Horde Shaman have Bloodlust.

Why?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sure Blizzard would come up with a crazy way for it to happen. In short, you need Spellbreakers outside of just the Blood Elf race for it to be a viable WoW class.
    warden doesnt have anti caster abilities.

just saying some people will view as faction based spells even if they are the same thing. the bloodlust/heroism its one spell though.

some people just hate elves and feels kind of restricted. i would open it up to at least 2 more races 1 for each side. like trolls for horde and maybe humans or draenei for alliance.

they could. they could easily form a neutral spell breaker faction that had blood elf spell breakers teach other races to be spell breakers.

off topic question. what is your opinion on Dark rangers?

10+ Year Old Account
    warden doesnt have anti caster abilities.
    The Warden's Avatar of Vengeance was immune to magic in WC3. It made it the perfect spell-caster killer.

just saying some people will view as faction based spells even if they are the same thing. the bloodlust/heroism its one spell though.
    Okay, but why would that be an issue if they do the exact same thing just with a different animation? For example, no one is complaining that Heroism is more powerful than Bloodlust because they have different icons and animations.

some people just hate elves and feels kind of restricted. i would open it up to at least 2 more races 1 for each side. like trolls for horde and maybe humans or draenei for alliance.

they could. they could easily form a neutral spell breaker faction that had blood elf spell breakers teach other races to be spell breakers.
    Its possible, but I think restricting Spellbreakers to the elves gives the class a stronger flavor, making this appear to be the domain of the elves. As much as I love Goblins and Humans and Trolls, I don't think that every race needs to be every class. In fact, I think Blizzard needs to do MORE race restrictions in the future, because allowing everyone to be everything dilutes flavor and lore.

Also, if someone doesn't like elves, maybe a cool elven-based class would change their mind?

off topic question. what is your opinion on Dark rangers?
    I think they're cool.

The Warden's Avatar of Vengeance was immune to magic in WC3. It made it the perfect spell-caster killer.

Okay, but why would that be an issue if they do the exact same thing just with a different animation? For example, no one is complaining that Heroism is more powerful than Bloodlust because they have different icons and animations.

Its possible, but I think restricting Spellbreakers to the elves gives the class a stronger flavor, making this appear to be the domain of the elves. As much as I love Goblins and Humans and Trolls, I don't think that every race needs to be every class. In fact, I think Blizzard needs to do MORE race restrictions in the future, because allowing everyone to be everything dilutes flavor and lore.

Also, if someone doesn't like elves, maybe a cool elven-based class would change their mind?

I think they're cool.
    it was? i thought it was only the minions that is spawned(which were immune to all damage)

cant be different animation though. it would cause negative feedback. i dont see it working.

doesnt quite work. people are starting to demand more race options for druids now. some people can like a class but dont like the race they would have to play to be able to play a class. me personally would be fine playing a Blood elf spell breaker. others on the other hand would be pissed its so restricted. its one of those things that looks good on paper but doesnt really work.

i mean more of do you think the can be expanded on enough to make their own class.

10+ Year Old Account
    it was? i thought it was only the minions that is spawned(which were immune to all damage)
    No, the minor spirits that it spawned were completely invulnerable. You could kill the Avatar.

cant be different animation though. it would cause negative feedback. i dont see it working.
    Why would it cause negative feedback? If you prefer the animation of the Phoenix, you'll just roll a Blood Elf instead of a Night Elf. Again, no one complains about Heroism or Bloodlust. No one is complaining about the different Shaman totems that each race has. No one is complaining about Druids having different animal forms based on race.

Its working in the game currently. I don't see why it couldn't work in the game if this was added.

doesnt quite work. people are starting to demand more race options for druids now. some people can like a class but dont like the race they would have to play to be able to play a class. me personally would be fine playing a Blood elf spell breaker. others on the other hand would be pissed its so restricted. its one of those things that looks good on paper but doesnt really work.
    What people are demanding more race options for Druids? Link me. I want to see just how many people view this as a huge problem.

Druids and Paladins are two of the most popular classes in the game, yet have the fewest amount of races available for their respective classes (4 and 5).

Coincidence?

i mean more of do you think the can be expanded on enough to make their own class.
    If Blizzard wanted it to happen, I don't see why not. It would be one hell of a balancing act making that class not overlap heavily with Hunters though. Also if too many races were capable of being DRs, the class would be pretty lame.

Spellbreaker - the class any melee can easily own and causes all casters to QQ on forums. Well done.

No, the minor spirits that it spawned were completely invulnerable. You could kill the Avatar.

Why would it cause negative feedback? If you prefer the animation of the Phoenix, you'll just roll a Blood Elf instead of a Night Elf. Again, no one complains about Heroism or Bloodlust. No one is complaining about the different Shaman totems that each race has. No one is complaining about Druids having different animal forms based on race.

Its working in the game currently. I don't see why it couldn't work in the game if this was added.

What people are demanding more race options for Druids? Link me. I want to see just how many people view this as a huge problem.

Druids and Paladins are two of the most popular classes in the game, yet have the fewest amount of races available for their respective classes (4 and 5).

Coincidence?

If Blizzard wanted it to happen, I don't see why not. It would be one hell of a balancing act making that class not overlap heavily with Hunters though. Also if too many races were capable of being DRs, the class would be pretty lame.
    i know you could kill the avatar. i dont remember it being immune to magic. i will have to go play WC3 again and see.

alliance player wants phoenix but refuses to play horde. alliance player is screwed.

i know horde side people are demanding blood elf druids because they hate tauren and trolls.
    do you have proof they are the most popular? they could be popular because of lore and are fun to play. not because they are so few races to be them.

yeah. could work if done right or fail.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rinleezwins View Post
    Spellbreaker - the class any melee can easily own and causes all casters to QQ on forums. Well done.
    well it is known as the anti caster unit in WC3