10+ Year Old Account

Question I could use some help purchasing a new tower.

Hi. I hope this isn't against the forum rules.. i tried looking around and didn't see that it was. I apologize in advance.. i could just really use some one's computer-savvy help in picking a new tower.

a little bit about me: My computer died. I'm sad... I want to play wow. I've been buying 600-800 junkers and upgrading power supplys and gpus for years now and they just keep crapping out on me. I'm sick of it.

So I want to use my credit and apply for financing with a website for a quality rig, something nice.

1500 USD is my max, but i'd like it to be much cheaper than that if it could.. i was going to just buy an alienware but the dell website takes 2-4 weeks to ship one. that's outrageous.

I don't want to build my own.. i know... i know.. i could get better for cheap if i bought the parts flat out, but i tried it once and ruined a motherboard and it just left me with a sour attitude about doing it.

So.. i'm looking go buy one already assembled that can handle MMOs with a decent frame rate. I'm not a hardcore computer guy.. i play wow and skyrim.. that's it. i'll probably try ESO and Wildstar and other MMOs as they come but my main concern is playing wow maxed out with a good frame rate... playing wow is really all i use a computer for.

So i've been looking around bestbuy.com, newegg.com,(websites/companies that offer their own financing.) etc... trying to find that one special unit that has 8g(preferably more) of memory, a 4th gen i7 or AMD equivalent processor.. and a great graphics card for under 1500 (preferably 800-1000).

I mean, wow's doesn't demand that much, i don't need crazy liquid cooled things or overclocked things, just something that'll make wow play flawlessly.

Can any one help me shop or point me in the right way to a tower that would do this? I've spent hours looking at them all and my head hurts and I can't decide. I'd really appreciate the help.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370983205850

I will however say this, buying premades is so overpriced to the point where it's just not worth it.

p.s. Alienware is terrible.

EDIT: I didn't read where you said you didn't want some sort of insane computer that's watercooled or OC'd.

The one I linked can play all the games out atm on Ultra/high.

However, let me just stamp this in that it's so much better to build your computer than to buy one for 2x the cost.
    Last edited by Cover25; 2014-01-10 at 04:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    1) Don't get that thing from ebay. It's like.. twice the price it's worth. Ebay is always shady shady for computers.

2) You're more likely to get a system that craps out prebuilt, than not

3) I would try building it again.. There are plenty of video guides out there, like linus and newegg's stuff. If you follow the steps in there, it's literally impossible to screw it up.

4) You say '600-800 junkers' but... 800 bucks can get you a VERY respectable machine. 800 bucks right now will get you a bangin system for WoW and most other games for at least 2-3 years. Throwing money at a system doesn't always make it better.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

As chazus said I'd go for building one myself. Don't know when you tried to build one and what went wrong but a lot of things have changed over the last 20 years and I can say that it got easier to build one. Most parts are compatible to each other and almost everything is fool proof. All it takes is a good amount of time and don't rush things.

But if you really don't want to build it yourself you could look for a shop that does that for you. I'm not from the US so I can't name a shop but I'm sure someone else can.

10+ Year Old Account
    i tried using that site as suggested, i end up either way over my budget or clicking parts that just aren't compatible.. i hate to be a dink here but can some one show me what they would set up for around 800-1300?

I guess i'll give building one a go... i was almost just going to get this with a different video card.. bestbuy link

10+ Year Old Account
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($234.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($40.98 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Pro3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($92.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($175.95 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital WD Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($269.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($66.30 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1243.15
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-11 12:17 EST-0500)

I selected an I5 over an I7 as your original post didn't include any games or applications that make use of hyperthreading.
    I normally don't suggest overclocking to the novice builder, but if you want the best possible performance in wow and other mmo's you will have to overclock so I have included adequate parts to do so.
    Lastly I have set it to Newegg for everything as I assumed you would only finance from one place rather then several.

edit ......
    You will need to either purchase an extra sata cable or take one from your dead machine as the above setup only includes 2 sata cables but requires 3
    Last edited by lockblock; 2014-01-11 at 05:37 PM.