Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Since transferring a single character can cost up to £35 it's best for everyone if you only recruit people with the highest chance of meshing with your guild, there's nothing worse than accepting a cross-sever trialist then having to fail them because they lied about having a stable internet connection or didn't mention they can't make the raid every other Monday.

Applications may seem silly because "it's only a game" but it's one of the best options for recruitment.
    Last edited by mmocee72ac48eb; 2014-01-11 at 07:35 PM.

The reason why guilds have applications: They want to see if you are serious about joining. If you're just looking for a random guild that maybe raids one night a week or something, just join any of them. If you're looking for a good one, you're probably going to have to apply. Honestly, I really didn't have to apply to many at all because I'd chat with a few of the guild officers, find out if they knew people I knew, etc, but I can still see why guilds do it. Almost everyone is going to say they are a good player lol, but if you're in a guild that's progressing and that guy ends up being a dud, it can throw off a few weeks of progression. I found the best way to do these things is a "interview" over mumble or vent. Talk to the guy, ask them questions about what kind of guild they are looking for, if your guild is serious and expects them to show up on a regular basis and know their class, let them know ahead of time. That kind of stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swaggah View Post
    I am currently in a top 50 25man guild and I got in only based on my application and attitude shown in this application
    I had no prior full HC clear on current content
    I had LFR logs
    I had started pve/raiding the same expansion
    There was also an other warrior applying at the same time with a track record back to classic wow and much superior to mine

And they chose me
    So I personally disagree with this
    Haha I got into a hardcore top US 100 guild back in cata all because a friend of mine told me they needed a healer for their run. I helped them kill heroic Omnitron and Conclave on 1 day, cleared heroic ascended council 2 weeks later, and more bosses kept getting killed.

I am telling you the truth, applications don't mean shit. Again, its the player that matters. Skill, a solid computer, an common sense is all that matters. I also find it funny you guys are defending this so much. Most of the time its easy to find a good player but the challenge on finding a player that you can get along with, that has good connection with the teammates (there is a term for this in the business field but forgot what its called) and can be someone you like talking with is just too high.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Could not be said better, really. Numbers isn't all, you have to bring yourself too. And in the end, if you really wish to join the guild - then an application would not be a problem.
    Indeed.

Another note is that yes, it is a game. And games are meant to be fun. So if you don't like a guild's application system, you're probably not going to have the same mindset of that guild and you're probably not going to have as much fun with them as you might another guild. Since you are going to be playing with multiple people, you should find a group of people who you can click with. Application processes are by and large the first gate to learning whether you will sync up well with them or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Kickbuttmario View Post
    I am telling you the truth, applications don't mean shit. Again, its the player that matters. Skill, a solid computer, an common sense is all that matters. I also find it funny you guys are defending this so much. Most of the time its easy to find a good player but the challenge on finding a player that you can get along with, that has good connection with the teammates (there is a term for this in the business field but forgot what its called) and can be someone you like talking with is just too high.
    The player is more than just their numbers and hardware though.

My guild is one of the better ones out there and we don't have trouble finding skilled players who click with us. Because we have an application process that helps us determine that. Finding skilled but agreeable people isn't hard. It's only hard if you don't have a means of screening them (applications).

Deleted
    The biggest thing I find when someone put up an application, as an officer of my guild is that everyone in the guild, both officers and member can read and make a decision of the person instead of just the one that might happen to talk to someone in whispers or over a Voicecom.
    Since raiding is a group effort it means that officers and such might have the final word if someone joins a guild but the rest of the guild imo, needs to be a part of the decision since they will also be raiding with said person, and quite importantly I don't expect people to spend 5 hours on an application but if you just answer everything with 'yes' or 'no' answers I will not take them seriously, but if it is a person that have good previous achievements and raiding experiences and spend a minimal amount of time on the application I'll keep them in mind.

But in the end it's a lot up to, how good raiding experience, achievement and gear do you have will mean that you can make a less "serious" application, but if you're quite new or just wants to get in to a better guild you will need to spend more time to convince the guild to take you on.

Deleted
    If you ever been a RL/Recruiter in a serious guild you would understand the need to screen players.

Especially if the new trial is from a different realm. You do not want someone to pay for a server/faction change only to say after 1 week
    "Listen dude, you do not fit into our guild so we are gonna have to kick you, sorry!"
    Last edited by mmoc4d8e5d065a; 2014-01-11 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorondil View Post
    What do you learn about someone's raiding capabilities by reading a fuckload of random shit?
    Nothing. The only reason is to weed out impatient/lazy people who can't be bothered to take five minutes to fill one out.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitlovin View Post
    Nothing. The only reason is to weed out impatient/lazy people who can't be bothered to take five minutes to fill one out.
    You can learn an incredible amount of a players raiding capability by seemingless irrelevant things. Heck, a video of how someone tie his shoelaces can teach you how well he is suited for raiding.

The best part of apps is getting good laughs at the bad ones, that's why guilds still use them.

Why not fe. just invite them to an alt-flex guild-run and talk a bit on ts/vt during the raid? that will tell you fuckloads more about the person and show his/her raiding capabilities.

Yes, I realize I could "just" make my own raiding guild out of thin air using this method, but I'm kinda cba to be a GL/RL.
    attitude > performance.

Why should any decent guild be expected to spend a half hour running you through flex because you can't be bothered to spend 2 minutes filling out an application ?

Apps weed out the trash that won't contribute in the longterm.

half the shit I write are blatant lies or stuff I copypasted from theorycrafting sites.
    Hope your guild doesn't see this.

The most ridiculous apps are the ones that you accept and only show up for one day, and then disappear forever. Not even transfer off the server, they just quit the game after one raid.

How come after 10 years of wow, people still have to fill in stiff boring applications that take way too long to fill in. Seriously I've put more time into applying to the last guild I joined than I had to put time into creating my CV which got me my job (accountant), does this fail to make sense to some of you?

What do you learn about someone's raiding capabilities by reading a fuckload of random shit? half the shit I write are blatant lies or stuff I copypasted from theorycrafting sites.

Why not fe. just invite them to an alt-flex guild-run and talk a bit on ts/vt during the raid? that will tell you fuckloads more about the person and show his/her raiding capabilities.

Yes, I realize I could "just" make my own raiding guild out of thin air using this method, but I'm kinda cba to be a GL/RL.

Oh yeah, anyone looking for a ranged dps? ^^

EDIT: I'm also not talking about just the elite guilds, I'm talking about your average 9/14 HC raiding guilds at this point.

Cause your applying to guilds with power tripping morons, in guild i'm raid leader of if you want to join one of the officers contacts you talks to you in vent a little bit to see your goals like you want to raid or just here to level etc? than we invite you if you still wish to be in works great no fuss and no elitist power trips.
    Last edited by Ghaleon; 2014-01-12 at 12:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigitybones View Post
    yeah i mean how dare ppl just want to play the game and not deal with elitist scum! sorry bud but its your attitude that suck here
    And here you are being a giant hypocrite. You're acting exactly like an elitist. It's hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    You can learn an incredible amount of a players raiding capability by seemingless irrelevant things. Heck, a video of how someone tie his shoelaces can teach you how well he is suited for raiding.
    I don't tie my shoelaces. I just slip my feet in them. Does that mean I'm a bad raider :O

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Garradorr View Post
    Cause your applying to guilds with power tripping morons, in guild i'm raid leader of if you want to join one of the officers contacts you talks to you in vent a little bit to see your goals like you want to raid or just here to level etc? than we invite you if you still wish to be in works great no fuss and no elitist power trips.
    You just described the application process. It's just that most guilds choose to have it in textual form as it's more convenient for both parties (don't need both officers and applicant online at the same time).
    Shahaad , Kevkul
    <Magdalena's pet>

Deleted
    To answer the OPs question.

Because Guild leaders can. If the system was detrimental to Guild progress then it would stop.

From my own personal experience or recruitment. A Guild application isn't just to make sure you have the capacity to raid competently, its also a measurement of your personality. Are you going to fit in with the rest of the Guild? When the people who run a Guild (you know all the boring stuff like raid leading, DKP management, rotas, recruitment and run of the mill dramamaz) invite a new player they are making an investment in them and hoping that by offering you the raiding experience you reward them with loyalty and not being an arsebiscuit.

On a side note in my time as GM I have recruited players with subpar gear and experience based on merit on a decent application, granted not all of them made but they gained their opportunity on merit other than ilvl, raid experience and world of lol/gs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevkul View Post
    I don't tie my shoelaces. I just slip my feet in them. Does that mean I'm a bad raider :O.
    Depends on how you do it! A more detailed video would be required! It could just mean that you are a smart player that figured out a more effective way to do it and that is how you deal with situations in your life, or perhaps it could mean that you are just lazy

Difficult philosophical questions here!

Tbh agree with OP. Most of the time if im actually interested in joining guild i hop in vent/mumble and link logs. Everything else is just padding/bs.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    Depends on how you do it! A more detailed video would be required! It could just mean that you are a smart player that figured out a more effective way to do it and that is how you deal with situations in your life, or perhaps it could mean that you are just lazy

Difficult philosophical questions here!
    It just takes so much time to tie them... And that's less time for munching donuts!
    Shahaad , Kevkul
    <Magdalena's pet>

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel the same. I raided for 8 years. I did every bit of content. I help run a guild for most of it and I was GM for 3 years of that. I was ranked one of the highest dps in the world and never fucked up. If I was to apply for a guild ever again I would NOT fill out an application. They can either take my word for it and get one of the best players that guild has ever gotten or I will simply find someone else that will take me. Their loss not mine.
    Aye mate