difference between mod and non-mod psu?

Looking to get a good deal on a PSU for a while now, but am considering:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817182263

looks like a great deal, but maybe overkill being a gold? The pc I'm building has:
    gtx 760, z87 board, i5-4670k, SSD, 8gb ram... according to pcpartpicker - the wattage wasn't even 400w. Though I'm unfamiliar how well Rosewill is, but I would like a 550w+ if I wish to upgrade in the future.

My friend whose going to help me put it together is worried about a modular PSU being riskier to have; even though its more convenient with not needing every cable. Are modular PSU's more prone to issues later on?
    Last edited by RemJay24; 2014-01-12 at 02:31 AM.

No, modular PSUs don't have higher chance of failing. Rosewill is a solid brand as well, and their Capstone line especially is pretty much the best they have on the market.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

then whats the advantage of buying a non-mod PSU? Usually cheaper and builders won't need to worry about which cables to use?

Quote Originally Posted by RemJay24 View Post
    then whats the advantage of buying a non-mod PSU? Usually cheaper and builders won't need to worry about which cables to use?
    Non-Modular are usually cheaper and simpler to install as all the cables are ready to go. Modular PSU's are generally more expensive(by a small amount, usually $10+ over the non-modular variant), though they give you the option of only having the cables you need hooked-up and not cluttering up your case(and messing with your airflow).
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know it's not in regard to your question, but personally I wouldn't get that PSU. There are cheaper, just as good, same wattage PSUs out there.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I know it's not in regard to your question, but personally I wouldn't get that PSU. There are cheaper, just as good, same wattage PSUs out there.

$80 isn't too bad. Cheapest 600W+ 80+ Gold PSU(not counting the Thermaltake TP series, which is $10 cheaper but i've heard bad things about that series). Although, you can get a XFX Pro 750W for about $5 more, but that uses a $20 mail-in-rebate while the Rosewill has a promo code.

Though a 80+ Bronze PSU like the EVGA Supernova 750W(good rebranded* PSU) is generally a decent option as well. Same goes for the Corsair CX series(newer models are a good rebrand* like the Supernova) if I recall correctly.

*going off of what i've heard and form a few reviews i saw in the past, the CX series got a reboot a while back and the Supernova line was a re-brand of something like FSP Group or someone like that.
    Last edited by tielknight; 2014-01-12 at 08:48 AM.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tielknight View Post
    $80 isn't too bad.
    Ah, I didn't see the $20 coupon code. Personally I'd prefer to go cheaper but you can't do much. However XFX 650's are on sale almost constantly for like $55

the Supernova line was a re-brand of something like FSP Group or someone like that.
    Correct. All of EVGA's "NEX Supernova" PSU's from 650-1000w are made by FSP and should be considered very good.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Now considering going with a lower wattage and cheaper... are these decent enough PSU's:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817116017 (NZXT HALE82-N NP-1BN-0550A-US 550W)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817153172 (Thermaltake SMART Series SP-550PCBUS 550W)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817182199 (Rosewill Green Series RG530-S12 530W)

even the Corsair CX500 is cheap at the moment. ($30 after rebate). You guys mentioned the CX series is a reboot/rebrand? What does that mean?

Thanks!

for reference; PSU is my last item to buy. This what I have:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
    Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
    Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
    Storage: Intel 530 Series 180GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card
    Case: Thermaltake Chaser A31 Snow White ATX Mid Tower Case
    Power Supply: ???
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit)

Wattage = 368 (according to pcpartpicker)
    Last edited by RemJay24; 2014-01-13 at 03:30 AM.

Heh, go for a Rosewill Hive 550W. At 50$, it's a better unit.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

10+ Year Old Account
    You guys mentioned the CX series is a reboot/rebrand? What does that mean?
    The Corsair CX line has traditionally been a poor power supply, despite the fact that almost everything else Corsair makes is top notch (effectively tricking people into thinking the CX is good). Reboot/rebrand implies that it's someone elses (a better manufacturer) with Corsair's sticker on it.

However, I can't find much evidence of this, and I hear just as many people saying "Its still bad" as those saying "Its good now that its not made by COrsair, and previous problems are gone"

Deleted
    I use platinum PSU, its heat waste is so low i can't believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    The Corsair CX line has traditionally been a poor power supply, despite the fact that almost everything else Corsair makes is top notch (effectively tricking people into thinking the CX is good). Reboot/rebrand implies that it's someone elses (a better manufacturer) with Corsair's sticker on it.

However, I can't find much evidence of this, and I hear just as many people saying "Its still bad" as those saying "Its good now that its not made by COrsair, and previous problems are gone"
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ze,3587-5.html

The CX500 got some good marks and has some decent-quality components(according to the review) as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Fauier View Post
    I use platinum PSU, its heat waste is so low i can't believe it.
    Heat waste?

I went with the Rosewill 550M Captstone.

It was one of today's "shell shocker" on newegg. $55 after the rebate.
    Thanks for all the responses and clarifications. I've sure learned a lot these last 2 weeks looking for a PSU.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tielknight View Post
    Everything wastes some power as heat. However I don't think this is something documented at all in PSU's. It is not the Bronze Silver Gold Platinum rating system, which is the AC DC conversion. However I imagine a platinum PSU ought to be good on heat regardless

The question is.. How much did he spend on a platinum PSU? It's silly to spend $150 on a 650w PSU when you're only saving about $5 a year.

I went with the Rosewill 550M Captstone. $55 after the rebate.
    That's a pretty good deal on there, then. I think I spent about 70 on my Seasonic 520.