Page 1 of 3
LastLast

World of Warcraft: PS3/PS4 edition

Okay i had this idea, wouldn't it be cool if you can play world of Warcraft on your ps3 or ps4? I thought of this recently and thought of ways it may or may not work since WOW is a keyboard based game, so the question came up; How will developers go about transferring a game originally made to function with a a keyboard and mouse to a platform using a handheld controller?

First off, to start the graphics will be completely the same as the original wow using the same engine with some minor changes designed to accommodate the consoles such as greater view distance and minorly updated graphics.Since the engine for WOW is a little dated it wont be a problem for the ps3 and 4 to render more stuff easily and faster.

Gameplay and combat, now this is where the changes come in. Since WOW is a hotkey game, the combat system is going to be drastically different on the consoles. First, the developers are gonna need to build a new combat system based on the one the PC-MAC version has, but ported to the handheld controllers. That means changing some abilities from the original version to accommodate for the playstation controllers the same way DC universe online did.The control scheme will be based a similarly to the one DC universe has. Some abilities may be taken away for the sake of console gameplay, but the game will have to adapt to not require those abilities. The talent tree system will be the same aswell as the crafting system.

Well those are my thoughts I'm not saying i go request blizzard to make this, I'm just simply presenting an idea i had

They can't turn WoW into a console game. There are way too many abilities for a gamepad. Also WoW is much more competitive then DC Universe online and they would not take out abilities. The only reason some mmorpgs work is because they were Console games that got ported to PC play.

FF:ARR did this and it's one of the reason they have a very limited AI. No thanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yindoo View Post
    In b4 Sony Fanboy because you didnt say Xbox one.

To the topic: No thanks. You would have to remove so many abilities.
    Which they most likely will at some point. As for mapping, FF14 does it well enough, as does DCUO, abilities aplenty. It's probably a little to hectic for console, PvP and Raiding wise ( higher end ).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thassarian View Post
    FF:ARR did this and it's one of the reason they have a very limited AI. No thanks.
    You're blaming console coding, for AI? Not sure if serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Yindoo View Post
    In b4 Sony Fanboy because you didnt say Xbox one.

To the topic: No thanks. You would have to remove so many abilities.
    did u even read everything i said?

Quote Originally Posted by scvd View Post
    Which they most likely will at some point. As for mapping, FF14 does it well enough, as does DCUO, abilities aplenty. It's probably a little to hectic for console, PvP and Raiding wise ( higher end ).

- - - Updated - - -

FF14 was a console to PC port. WoW is not.

Quote Originally Posted by splifone View Post
    Okay i had this idea, wouldn't it be cool if you can play world of Warcraft on your ps3 or ps4?
    I'd answer this with a simple no.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    You people are thinking they are going to dumb down keys and crap if they make it a PS4 version. No, it is called a keyboard and a mouse. The PS4 has USB ports. I don't know about the technical crap but really, keyboard and a mouse, the ps4 already accepts a keyboard.

You wouldn't need to remove abilities. X, triangle, O, square, right trigger 1, left trigger 1, left trigger 2 and right trigger 2 would keybind to abilities. Then you could add additional keybinds such as right keypad + X, or up keypad + triangle for other abilities. The amount of keybinds you could conceivably keybind 32 abilites comfortably on a PS3 or PS4 controller. If you added pushing down on either joystick as a button press you get more combinations.

Quote Originally Posted by Zxzas View Post
    You people are thinking they are going to dumb down keys and crap if they make it a PS4 version. No, it is called a keyboard and a mouse. The PS4 has USB ports. I don't know about the technical crap but really, keyboard and a mouse, the ps4 already accepts a keyboard.
    No, you don't understand, the purpose of transfering wow from computers to consoles is so that u wouldn't need a keyboard except maybe for chatting.

Quote Originally Posted by scvd View Post
    FF's MMO's were designed for console play, which puts certain restraints and limitations on gameplay. WoW is very much PC-centric, and there's really no substitute for the lack of mods and addons on a console port.

WoW is just not meant for the console.

Quote Originally Posted by Thimagryn View Post
    FF's MMO's were designed for console play, which puts certain restraints and limitations on gameplay. WoW is very much PC-centric, and there's really no substitute for the lack of mods and addons on a console port.
    the console version wouldn't need mods or nothing they'd be built in and also the combat system would be different as it wouldn't require all those hotkeys

I would love a console version of WoW. It would be pretty stripped though.
    Communities tend to not last as long for console games either.
    Diablo 3 is an example. The game is pretty empty now after only a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by splifone View Post
    the console version wouldn't need mods or nothing they'd be built in and also the combat system would be different as it wouldn't require all those hotkeys
    Sounds like they might just want to call it something other than WoW.

Guild Wars 2 is more designed for a console. WoW has too many abilities and is lacking a loot/talk to npc button.

Quote Originally Posted by Ineluki View Post
    Sounds like they might just want to call it something other than WoW.
    well yeah of course to an extent it's gonna be a different game

You can use modifiers like god of war. Square is light attack, Triangle is heavy attack, Circle is grab(?), X is jump and hold L1 to parry/block but also give square, triangle, circle and X new moves! Still missing many buttons though.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Deleted
    you'd have to remove so many abilities, it would be closer to GW2 than WoW.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Pass, I have a pc for a reason (I also have a ps3, soon to get both xbox one and ps4), I like my mmo's (and most other games) on my pc thanks.