Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've got to know... what do all you people use the Start "MENU" for anyway that you need to use Classic Shell or Start8 or whatever?
    Last edited by Djinni; 2014-01-17 at 05:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    I've got know... what do all you people use the Start "MENU" for anyway that you need to use Classic Shell or Start8 or whatever?
    shhhhhh dont tell them all the secrets -_^
    | Intel i5-4670k | Asus Z87-Pro | Xigmatek Dark Knight | Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB | Sapphire R9 270x | Crucial MX300 750GB | WD 500GB Black | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Haf-X | Corsair AX1200 | Dell 2412m | Ducky Shine 3 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD598 | Mionix Naos 8200 |

Deleted
    I've got know... what do all you people use the Start "MENU" for anyway that you need to use Classic Shell or Start8 or whatever?
    We all know there is only one way to operate and function, right? (obligatory sarcasm warning)

On a serious note the Start "MENU" isn't the only thing getting changed, modified or improved upon with Classic Shell.

Deleted
    Worked fine for me with exception of one problem, that being my HTPC remote control is not supported (yet) I could get round the issue with some software, but its simpler to using Win 7 till an up date is released.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    Worked fine for me with exception of one problem, that being my HTPC remote control is not supported (yet) I could get round the issue with some software, but its simpler to using Win 7 till an up date is released.
    Assuming that your Remote Control isn't made by Microsoft why would this be unexpected?

(I'd say mine works fine, but mines made by Microsoft, so I'd expect it to work)

Deleted
    Well if you got to know...

- 10 most used applications list with side arrow to open their rcu documents
    - 5 pinned applications including their rcu documents
    - collapsed folder list of all installed applications
    - the above and everything else is decently sized on my monitor and does not require a full screen switch

Yes, I know you can pin apps to the task bar (I use that as well) and I'm aware of type-searching (since vista) and short cuts.

The right click admin menu (Win+x) of W8 is neat but in all other regards *I* find the W7 start menu solution superior to the metro start screen.
    YMMV.

Deleted
    The interface thats designed for keyboard/mouse that takes maybe 6 inch by 4 inch menu in corner of screen to get anywhere in pc inc recent apps and docs, vs Metro designed for visual impaired people with its screen fingering and 10 metre of arm swinging (or typing) just to find an app, also sucks with Metro having ads built right into the core of the platform and them spamming the Start Menu every time you go to it generating revenue for MS.

Metro is dead in the water imo as most devs are not supporting it for mobile apps and nobody on the desktop wants it either.

Deleted
    If I just had a product key for Windows 8.1, how would I go about actually downloading the software to say a USB ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laddips View Post
    If I just had a product key for Windows 8.1, how would I go about actually downloading the software to say a USB ?
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...oduct-key-only

and

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-...ndows-8.1-iso/

Quote Originally Posted by mrgummage View Post
    If you have 8Gb of RAM, not using the 64 bit version of WoW is just shooting yourself in the foot.
    Worth noting, btw, that the 32bit key should work for a 64 bit installation.

Deleted
    Assuming that your Remote Control isn't made by Microsoft why would this be unexpected?

(I'd say mine works fine, but mines made by Microsoft, so I'd expect it to work)
    mines the Speedlink 6399, Just a very basic one. but works perfectly though plex on windows 7.
    On windows 8 there is a few issues where plex player will loose focus when using the remote, and the volume buttons on the control does not work at all. compared to window 7 where it works flawlessly. Since the HTPC part of the system is a pretty major part of my system, it makes sense to go with what works without messing around with hacks and apps, than spend hours setting up WinLIRC or event ghost.

Deleted

Isn't that an upgrade version from Windows 8 though ? Would that work on a new Motherboard when you're installing for the first time ?

Quote Originally Posted by Laddips View Post
    Isn't that an upgrade version from Windows 8 though ? Would that work on a new Motherboard when you're installing for the first time ?
    Yeah there are ways to activate it even from a clean install.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Hey all,

Sorry for late reply but I recently upgraded a few weeks ago and decided to give some feedback.
    It was totally worth it IMO.
    I use start8 with it and boot into desktop but its a lot smoother and faster I found. The fps in wow is improved slightly. The highs and lows are still similar but It seems to average higher now than before. Around 10% better in raids and busy cities.

Worth the money if you have to pay a lot? I don't know. But for me it was certainly worth it

Deleted
    As part of MS Partners I got it without costs...and I love windows 8.1, upgrade IS worth it. Best OS I have used yet tbh.

Deleted
    Windows isnt even worth paying for, not until MS releases a finished product that doesnt require 20 bug fixes a month for years to come.

I upgraded from Windows 8 to 8.1 the moment it was released. It's perfectly stable with the exception of that mouse issue I had before, which then got fixed by Windows via an update. I absolutely love the Mail app. It's freaking awesome and I don't see myself ever switching back to something like Windows 7.
    "Those mortal shells that we call bodies, are not ours to keep. The body is a gift of earth that must, one day, be returned from whence it came"

Advice : stay with Windows 7 x64, there is nothing interesting in Win 8 /8.1.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmilblick View Post
    Advice : stay with Windows 7 x64, there is nothing interesting in Win 8 /8.1.
    Four posts above you...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Four posts above you...
    Also many posts in this thread so far listing all the interesting (mostly minor, but yet really interesting) changes about 8 / 8.1 compared to 7. Things anyone who got past the new start screen should mention quite quickly.