Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Cool What is the point of...

PvP "seasons"?

To further this, I mean, why can't this current season of PvP we're in now last until the launch of WoD?
    There just seems no point that I can see, to have another "season" that isn't linked to a major story / raid patch.

Perhaps someone here can explain the reasoning why another season is needed?

P.S you can probably tell, but I'm not a PvPer :P

Deleted
    I think its mostly for bad players. Those who dont progress with rating can progress with new gear and thus have a reason to play.

For people playing for rating a ladder reset has only one benefit: it frees the top from people sitting at their rating after a patch nerfed their class. This also means people who will start again playing for rating. So you end up with more people playing = better queue times.
    Last edited by mmoc1be018301a; 2014-01-15 at 02:40 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bt4 View Post
    I think its mostly for bad players. Those who dont progress with rating can progress with new gear and thus have a reason to play.
    That's pretty much nonsense.

Seasons separate a few things: tier sets, gear, and rankings each season so the same people aren't always the top. It provides progression for those who do not play PvE. It provides new shiny achievements.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Extraordinaire View Post
    PvP "seasons"?

To further this, I mean, why can't this current season of PvP we're in now last until the launch of WoD?
    There just seems no point that I can see, to have another "season" that isn't linked to a major story / raid patch.

So they can break up the PvP gear into more tiers and crown the FoTM Gladiators. But mostly the tiers.

The only reason for the new season is because WoD is taking longer than they'd hoped for - but in general the reasons above are correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

PvP "seasons"?

Makes pvp'ers feel like they hold some special place in the game.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

PvP "seasons"?

To me it never really made sense to tie pvp season to pve events now with the significantly lowered itemlvl.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I don't see WoD coming out till late Autumn or next Winter. I can't imagine being in the same season gear for that long, so I'm happy for it.
    Next winter ? What are you smoking and where can I get some. SoO will not be the longest raid tier ever.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

PvP "seasons"?

Something to do and they only have to recolor 1 mount and add new sets of gear then its pretty much finished vs a whole new raid + gear + bosses. Pvp = kill other players for gear and mounts its never really been more complicated then that honestly.
    Last edited by worstpvperus; 2014-01-15 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I don't see WoD coming out till late Autumn or next Winter. I can't imagine being in the same season gear for that long, so I'm happy for it.
    So, you think that Mists will last longer than any expansion in history, and that SoO will be longer than even ICC? Even Classic WoW only lasted 26 months before BC launched- if Warlords were to release "next winter," it'd be even longer than that.

Past September 15th, SoO becomes the longest raiding tier of all time, longer even than ICC.
    Past October 25th, Mists becomes the longest expansion of all time, longer even than Wrath.
    Past November 25th, Mists becomes even longer than the gap between Classic and The Burning Crusade expansion.

On topic, PvP seasons are a bit like raid tiers in that they provide more progression for PvPers instead of stagnation. Holinka said they wanted to try to get away from the 38-month-or-so extremely long final PvP season to end an expansion, which is why they're giving us an extra one.

not to mention with the new season there is a possibility of balance tweeks and what not, one can only hope. also in MoP new seasons were stand alone either started right before a raid patch or right after for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by wasted days View Post
    and gives out glad
    Its also the best use of their resources at the moment a new raid tier would push wod back longer but a pvp season is doable without hurting wod.

Because a year in 522 vs 580 is going to suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Miko View Post
    Because a year in 522 vs 580 is going to suck.
    Then stop fighting one of the 50 players on your realm actually pushing 580 ilvl?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    Next winter ? What are you smoking and where can I get some. SoO will not be the longest raid tier ever.
    While I agree it won't be in Winter, I would be surprised if it had a summer release. Personally I expect closed beta to start around February, and some beta even to occur around the launch of TESO in March (cant think of a better way to ruin a launch weekend than for WoW to have a new xpac beta). I'd be surprised if the game launched over summer however, since its a slow time, but that may be their plan so that people who have school can play more during the summer. Fall however would not surprise me.

PvP "seasons"?

Want to see what happens when you don't have PVP Seasons (or at least normal ones)? Go google "chinese 5000 rated wow players". Their game is quite different from ours (no regular seasons) and it causes SERIOUS rating inflation (2k US players are like 2.7k on Chinese servers).

Plus....rewards. That is like asking why we give new gear with new tiers in PvE.

PvPers are pretty far behind in iLvl and I think it would be nice for Blizzard to give another season (probably like 540 ilvl) just for the sake of giving them an easier time next xpac with leveling. Keep in mind we still probably have Patch 5.5 before the xpac hits and that can still include something for PvE'ers as well.
    Last edited by Novx; 2014-01-15 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Giscoicus
    Then stop fighting one of the 50 players on your realm actually pushing 580 ilvl?
    Not everyone plays on a realm with 3 guilds you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninji
    "lets loose quik" is the only alliance pride I am aware of

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    PVP seasons have two primary reasons IMO. #1 to introduce new gear to keep them at pace with pve releases. #2 to give pvpers a reason to keep playing.

there is no reason only cake

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with the "least damage done to wod" thing, Even the hotfixes seem to be lacking a bit :S

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    If it comes out prior to mid September it won't be the longest so that gives the potential for a lot of time.