Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Malkorok, you jerk.

Hey fellow darknesses,

Some how a guild gave me a chance and I'm doing heroic raiding now
    We're on Malkorok and been wiping a range of 2-15%.

I feel like I've been throttling my DPS in favor of staying alive (running destro so I can ember tap and get an easy green shield.)

But I feel like I'm part of the problem. Staring at the orbs (which seems to surround me like crazy) and trying to manage my shield too much...

Any tips? I love Aff, but I favor destro for this fight, just for the easy self heals

thanks!
    Last edited by pvw1075; 2014-01-15 at 03:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    He was just surprised that demons can also summon you.
    That's a soviet russia of dark magic right here.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ldemort/simple

10+ Year Old Account
    Logs would be the best way to tell what the problem is. From my experience, as long as the DPS aren't soaking orbs, the healers should be able to keep everyone's shield topped up.
    Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    $6 for a game made in 1993? If it was free then maybe I would buy it instead of pirating it.

That fight has a tendency to surround you with orbs and then place a puddle on the other side of those orbs. Try not to focus so much on healing yourself, if your shield is falling off and you are not soaking a bunch of orbs then it is on the healers, not you. Additionally if your shield is not topped off and you are about to soak a puddle pop twilight ward to help you soak the damage without dipping into your health pool. Also if you go afflic, glyph of life tap helps.
    Warlock Soloing & Progress | FC: 4141-3143-3405 | Metang, Mawile, and Klefki

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll have to find them, we've been switching back and forth from WoL and Warcraft Logs lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jaymzkerten View Post
    That fight has a tendency to surround you with orbs and then place a puddle on the other side of those orbs. Try not to focus so much on healing yourself, if your shield is falling off and you are not soaking a bunch of orbs then it is on the healers, not you. Additionally if your shield is not topped off and you are about to soak a puddle pop twilight ward to help you soak the damage without dipping into your health pool. Also if you go afflic, glyph of life tap helps.
    I've found myself rolling with that glyph a TON lately, I guess I need to suck it up and trust my healers. Me and the other warlock are on the entrance area pretty much by ourselves covering that whole half, I feel like that REALLY limits us, and sometimes puts us out of range of our two healers.

The fight is fairly healer intensive, the DPS job is actually quite easy. Both our warlocks go Demonology, the leap is really good. Your only way to die would be from orbs, and I have made a habit of moving a little bit every so often (after an instant cast, for example) just to keep myself sharp and ready to move at a moment's notice. Try to see if you can get members with immunes and damage reductions to clear out orbs during Blood Rage. Above all just keep out of orbs and you should be fine, relying on leap to get you to the soak puddles. Throttling dps is good, but you do 0 dps when you're dead!
    I play a Holy Pally btw

I like to use Twilight Ward(Twilight ward is your friend this teir, its useful on almost all the fights) and soak an orb thats in my way, it still kills your shield so make sure theres 4+ seconds before you may have to soak a puddle, and during the phase where he cleaves someone should be cleaning up the majority of the things, if you got a rogue he should also be using cloak and sprint to clear orbs regularly.

With that said I play destro on this fight and only really move when I need to soak a puddle, use Twilight Ward on cooldown, if you have to heal yourself to keep your shield up your healers are lacking at something, the druid in my guild can solo heal this fight on 10m heroic mode now so it can't be THAT difficult.

Speaking as both lock and mistweaver, you shouldn't be having problems with running out of hp.

Either you are clipping orbs, (don't do that), or they aren't throwing out enough heals in between soaks (they may not be monitoring shield % in grid? Or you might not have enough in the raid?) - but there isn't anything unavoidable.

As far as cludges, soullink (sac'd or not), twilight ward, and sburning adds for embers to blood tap should be more than enough - I keep twilight ward for the times when I need to blitz through an orb to make it to soak someone elses area - with that and a blood tap, I can soak ~3 in a row without heals - even in progression gear you should make it to at least 2 without dying.

How many healers are you running? My 10m normally runs three, my 25m is more like 5-6 I think, but since I don't heal in 25, I can't say I have paid too much attention.
    Last edited by rijn dael; 2014-01-15 at 11:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rijn dael View Post
    Speaking as both lock and mistweaver, you shouldn't be having problems with running out of hp.

Either you are clipping orbs, (don't do that), or they aren't throwing out enough heals in between soaks (they may not be monitoring shield % in grid? Or you might not have enough in the raid?) - but there isn't anything unavoidable.

As far as cludges, soullink (sac'd or not), twilight ward, and sburning adds for embers to blood tap should be more than enough - I keep twilight ward for the times when I need to blitz through an orb to make it to soak someone elses area - with that and a blood tap, I can soak ~3 in a row without heals - even in progression gear you should make it to at least 2 without dying.

How many healers are you running? My 10m normally runs three, my 25m is more like 5-6 I think, but since I don't heal in 25, I can't say I have paid too much attention.
    Thanks for the great info in this thread everyone.

We run a holy pally and a shaman, just two healing.
    I may be clipping, but I really don't think I am, I'll take a gander at the logs when I find the right ones for the week.

Im so bad at sburn sniping, so that something I need to work on.

best way is to just ignore orbs till bloodrage pops up. u can throw down unending resolve and grab like 4 or 5 orbs pretty quickly before it ends. possibly more but try not to grab orbs when u need to do puddles first.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pvw1075 View Post
    Thanks for the great info in this thread everyone.

We run a holy pally and a shaman, just two healing.
    I may be clipping, but I really don't think I am, I'll take a gander at the logs when I find the right ones for the week.

Yeah, pinpointing the exact moments you should be using embers is incredibly important for Destruction in the new MoP incarnation.

On that note, don't Ember Tap, period, unless you're not having enrage wipes. Which you are. Spending embers on taps is for survivalfights, which yes with 2healers it should be, but apparantly isn't. If healing suddenly becomes really hard because people stop off-healing as DPS, you might even find that sacrificing 1 of the 6 DPS to go healer will end you up with more total DPS than having all 6 DPS sacrificing some of their DPS to stay healthy... And if you are spending embers to heal yourself, you are sacrificing more than just a little bit of DPS.

Of course, if I were playing lock in that raid and would have to soak orbs, I'd probably glyph healthstone and ember tap, and turn both of those 10s HoTs on while soaking the orbs along with UR and Shadow Bulwark if I'd judge it a Sac fight. But soaking orbs should only be a small part of the fight, so if you're tapping on the regular, you're tapping too much, and healers won't start healing you more because you're already doing it yourself.
    Ex-GM and Raidleader of the MoX Purple Kittens Raidteam on Twisting Nether (formerly Grim Batol), RIP, Winter 2010 - Spring 2013.
    Armory. WoWProgress. Might start streaming Soon(tm) http://twitch.tv/szem/

ya never ember tap, unless u are confident u are going to die.. like for example if ur stranded between a meteor and ur group is off in the distance in heroic dark shamans.. then its safe to tap when ur at like 100-200k hp instead of 800. but for malk, u never really know when ur gonna die, shields make it a bit harder to tell.

Ember tap is very handy on this fight, but you should really only use it if you have to soak a puddle and your shield is currently red. Another time I will burn an ember on Ember tap in this fight is during his stomp phase when I pop UR and clear out orbs. Sometimes I get a big spike from clearing a bunch and i would rather burn an ember to top up and continue clearing orbs than wait to get healed up and continue. Yes its a dps loss, but on progression is can help if your healers are struggling to keep people topped... Though if you are getting 2% wipes you may want to be less liberal.

Sou Link is a solid choice on this fight, however keep Sac Pact in mind too. Once you are to the point where you are not screwing up and getting your shield removed by not moving from an orb, the ONLY time you should lose HP outside of a missed Soak is if you get knocked up right at pull or right at start of second phase before healers have build the raids shields back up. I pop sac pact on our countdown so that I have a shield already if I am the first knock up choice. That said, if you have a resto druid tranking on pull or a priest shelling, its a non issue.

Also make sure you use your portal so you can port to avoid fall dmg.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulzar View Post
    That said, if you have a resto druid tranking on pull or a priest shelling, its a non issue.

If you have a Shadow Priest or an Elemental/Enhance Shaman, have them use VE/AG. Their opening burst should give the entire raid a green bubble with very little effort.

Sniping does give some nice ember income, but it is only something I started doing on farm, on our first kill I was more paranoid about catching any soaks people missed - rocket boost + burning rush meaning I could get to pretty much anything in time.

By cludge, I mean awkward moments when you are covering a screwup on your part - or a healers :P - not using blood tap for general healing - I also forgot to mention void walker sacrifice is really nice for its 'command demon' last stand.

There is a weakaura floating around the forums that shows your shield value at any point in time, and goes green when you won't take any hp damage - I find it handy for judging when I need to pop something.
    Last edited by rijn dael; 2014-01-16 at 11:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teye View Post
    If you have a Shadow Priest or an Elemental/Enhance Shaman, have them use VE/AG. Their opening burst should give the entire raid a green bubble with very little effort.
    Our shammy does guidance, and I usually instantly blow Dark Regeneration! I'm usually at green then, but I seem to be the one that gets orbs all around him/ get all the puddles in my area/get knocked up into the air the most

So i'm always seeing my shield go bad.

It's a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrileo View Post
    I like to use Twilight Ward(Twilight ward is your friend this teir, its useful on almost all the fights).
    Seriously. Warlocks make this fight a lot easier. You'd be surprised how few Warlocks actually use Twilight Ward ever, but especially on this fight. You should never die. Ever. Take Mortal Coil for the self heal. Make sure you're using your portal.

If everyone isn't already using VEM, use VEM. or Malkorok helper.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    best way is to just ignore orbs till bloodrage pops up. u can throw down unending resolve and grab like 4 or 5 orbs pretty quickly before it ends. possibly more but try not to grab orbs when u need to do puddles first.
    Or you can pop Shadow Bulwark+Sac Pact and grab 10 orbs, maybe 15 if you throw in UR.

I run Destro with void sac , clear bubbles during rage with cds or w/e you need. For my raid i mark every smash and mark a safe zone so i'm hyper alert to the mechanics but my dps is a tad lower since i mark.

There is no easy "fix" for Malk. This fight is execute gg, over time you will have a understanding with your fellow raid members on if they can reach a puddle or not as there is no time to call out.

The thing that got us the most is the deadly 2 puddles right dead center in my zone, sometimes the priest next to me can reach it sometimes he can't so on the other side of me i can a gateway for our hunter in the backmiddle of his zone into mine.

So if RNG makes it very close we have some back ups.

GL and remember orbs spawn where ever they want but tend to spawn near the player, try to spread it out and its all execution.

Oh btw you're using lock portal to avoid fall damage yeah?
    Last edited by Exoblade; 2014-01-18 at 06:19 PM.

Deleted
    Hey fellow darknesses,

Some how a guild gave me a chance and I'm doing heroic raiding now
    We're on Malkorok and been wiping a range of 2-15%.

I feel like I've been throttling my DPS in favor of staying alive (running destro so I can ember tap and get an easy green shield.)

But I feel like I'm part of the problem. Staring at the orbs (which seems to surround me like crazy) and trying to manage my shield too much...

Any tips? I love Aff, but I favor destro for this fight, just for the easy self heals

thanks!
    Why the hell would you use your embers on healing? Take gosac, soul link and sac your void lord. Command demon on the pull for 1.3 million hp and use twilight ward and unending resolve to soak your puddles.

you should NEVER have to self heal and if you do then a dark regen, healthstone macro is all you will need to top your shields off.

If it's worse than that your healers are failing

Quote Originally Posted by ItcheeBeard View Post
    Why the hell would you use your embers on healing? Take gosac, soul link and sac your void lord. Command demon on the pull for 1.3 million hp and use twilight ward and unending resolve to soak your puddles.
    I don't see having extra hp at pull/bigger shield that useful at all, if other classes can deal with less hp so can we. TW, Healthstone, Mortail Coil for taking puddles when not green. Sac Pact + Unending resolve are way better during p2 to soak as many orbs as possible, Sacced imp to instant-dispell yourself (esp. important if you are using Nitro boots).