Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    when people ride around on four-wheelers

when your town has its 4th of july fireworks show 2 weeks after

Well, for me I knew I was from a small town when:

There was only one store and it had a restaurant/variety/gas station on it.
    During a blizzard they just kept all the students overnight
    When the above Blizzard one of the teachers just walked across the road to get blankets and supplies
    Going to a friends house meant traveling 30 minutes by car.
    Due to lack of music options Billy Idol's Mony Mony was the most scandalous song. The song was fine but singing "Get Laid Get Fucked" wasn't.
    I had the exact same teacher for 3 straight years/grades.
    Cubs/Scouts were basically your classmates

True Stories

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tobiashunter View Post

I do that all the time. And that city is over an hour away.

Same here i have like 3 diffrent names to give when someone asks where i am from. For close ppl i give the name of my village, then our big village and last the closest town, 1 hour / 82 km away.

Btw our first school had ppl from 5 villages and we had class 1 to 6 and we divided into class 1 - 3 / 4 - 6 some years and 1 - 2 / 3 - 4 / 5 - 6 some other years. my age group had a total of 8 ppl myself included.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    When you know everyone in your year group because you were all in the same class.

When everything is closed past 9pm

When "These kids at the local kindergarden played today and had fun" is actually a pretty reoccuring topic in the local newspaper.

When you have to bike 25 min to the nearest Pizza restaurants because nobody delivers

When you're greeted by the owner with a hug because he missed you

When you never go to the local library because they won't have your book anyway, and it'll take 3 weeks to order

When playing Lord of the Rings in the forest, with sticks and pinecones as weaponry, was the epitome of fun growing up

When you avoid certain stores because all the employees are former classmates
    almost the same here, i only had to spend 20 min to get to the pizza place! tnx for growing up and cars = 5 min max. the greetings is still the same, seems i am liked.

May i ask what part of Sweden your from? 82042 is my town nr.
    Last edited by Clockworks; 2014-01-21 at 11:47 AM.
    I'm a stranger, I'm a changer.
    And I'm danger... maybe...

http://youtu.be/dNEtnyAm6S4

Quote Originally Posted by mmburntcheez View Post
    When waffle house and the walmart parking lot was the popular hangout in high school.
    When your town didn't have a Waffle House or Wal Mart when you were in high school.

When traffic jams are caused by tractors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinober View Post
    When traffic jams are caused by tractors.
    So true, and i am the one in a tractor over here jamming the traffic!
    I'm a stranger, I'm a changer.
    And I'm danger... maybe...

http://youtu.be/dNEtnyAm6S4

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess everyone has a different idea of what "small" is, but I feel like I lived in a weird town. 15,000 people, but we had a lot of accommodations small towns don't. I always defined it as a "small city", and not a town. It's a dry city too, so that might have something to do with it. So, a lot of these sound a little weird to me.

Quote Originally Posted by mmburntcheez View Post
    When waffle house and the walmart parking lot was the popular hangout in high school.
    For my town, it was McDonald's, but Wal-Mart eventually came to be as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitti Pryde View Post
    You know you're from a small town when someone asks you where you're from and you tell them the bigger city it's close to.
    Not necessarily. I do that to people who wouldn't be familiar with the area. For people living out of that state, they're only gonna know the two or three biggest cities in the state. And for me, in Alabama, people really only knew two, and that's IF they knew the capital.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    You know you are from a small town when the churches outnumber the bars.
    Also not necessarily. Where I lived, there were 30+ churches in my town alone, I'm sure. Again, it was dry, but in a town that size, no way there's that many bars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    When everything is closed past 9pm
    I live in a city of 100,000 and there's very few things open that late. Where my mom lives, there was a Hardee's that closed at like 2 p.m. I'm...not sure why.

When playing Lord of the Rings in the forest, with sticks and pinecones as weaponry, was the epitome of fun growing up
    Do you live in South Park?

My town is 11 miles away from a slightly larger town. Mine has a post office that closes at Noon, a tiny grocery store in an abandoned shopping mall, 4 gas stations, a K thru 12 school and 2 nursing homes. The other town 11 miles away has a Walmart and a bunch of Mexican restuarants. North Central Tennessee here.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    You know you're from a small town when...people wave at you as you pass them on the road even if you don't know them

You know you're from a small town when you can walk across town at 3 am as a teenager and not be mugged/concerned

doin it rite?
    "even if you don't know them"

You don't live in a small town.
    I think I've had enough of removing avatars today that feature girls covered in semen. Closing.
    -Darsithis

When you do something like slip on ice and everybody automatically knows about it...

-When your "town" has only a quilt store, a church, and a general store (yes, general store. Like "Little House on the Prairie")
    -When school was 25 miles away and even there your graduating class was 27 people
    -When even today DSL/Cable is a foolish dream and people rely on dial-up or satellite

You know you're from a small town when your elementary school crossing guard still recognizes you (I'm 26 now).

You know you're from a small town when the first year you wanted to have prom outside of the school, old people came to request you follow "tradition" (true story, but we made it out).

15+ Year Old Account
    When your "shortcut" through town... is avoiding the stoplight.

I wish I was from a town. I'm from a sheltered corner of fundamentalist Christianity.

Quote Originally Posted by Chirri View Post
    ...when you look up at night, and can see more than a handful of familiar constellations, a planet or two, and the moon, and don't find their visibility amazing.
    It's all relative, I suppose. My grandparents have a farm in the middle of cornland, Indiana; it's a little drive to even the small town. I don't find the visibility amazing there. You can see the Milky Way alright, but I've seen dark skies, and those are not dark skies. Maybe they were when my mother was growing up, but they're not now.

According to dark sky classification and maps, there's a small town in northwest Ohio that has almost 160000 square miles of 'suburban' skies surrounding it. The sky at my parents' house ten miles outside Columbus's outerbelt has gotten noticeably brighter since they moved out there. I can only barely see Andromeda, on the darkest night, with binoculars.

I hate light pollution.
    Last edited by Mnevis; 2014-02-26 at 01:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know you're from a small town when 80%+ of your coworkers are related to you either by blood or marital. (My Supervisor is my Mother-In-Law, her assistant is my cousin by marriage and most of my other coworkers are also cousins or Aunts by Marriage)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forestspirit View Post
    You know you're from a small town when 80%+ of your coworkers are related to you either by blood or marital. (My Supervisor is my Mother-In-Law, her assistant is my cousin by marriage and most of my other coworkers are also cousins or Aunts by Marriage)
    OMG HI FOREST.

Erm.... hi thread.... anyway....

My town has one high school. One Walmart. (but two McDs and Subways, what?)

The talk of the town lately is the Sheetz being built. I'm so annoyed the opening isn't until first of may now.... oh but its fancy it has a dine in area.

When I describe my location to non locals, its "20 miles north of Durham, which is just above Raleigh"

I just want to poke a hole in that Walmart stereotype. There's 6 of them in New Jersey. New Yorkers love some Walmart too. There's a big beautiful one near Jersey City.

I ran into a woman here in Jersey that lived in Florida for a time. We got to talking about how nice it was to not be surrounded by people 24/7. However, as she pointed out, having to drive a half hour into town to buy groceries meant that your frozen food was probably thawed out by the time you got home.

10+ Year Old Account
    When you only have 2 starbucks and everyone knows your name...

Well, we have 1 stop light, 1 grocery store, 1 autoparts store, 3 gas stations and a few fast food places. Where I work literally has no grocery store, 2 gas stations, a lumber yard, cafe and that is about it. Total population for the whole county is under 3K.