Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The OP has a real point that so many of you are dismissing after flying over at 30,000 ft. But think about it. This really is a big deal. From high up, it may not seem like engaging micro transactions and selling max-level characters will impact the game for others. But the truth is, in the details, it already has.

The game is constitutionally different. So much of the overall experience has been removed. Leveling is skeletal. Interaction is minimal and superficial. Immersion is gone. As a result, the community shifts from deep and dynamic to shallow and entitled. Instead of focusing on the former, Blizzard reinforces the latter. And thus, the game begins to change. The journey is minimized and defined by the reward. Justice/Honor points for gear, mounts. Valor/Conquest points for more. LFD to gear up. LFR to gear up some more and satisfy the urge for more gear, which created an even greater urge for gear, more opportunity without context and moving the game further and further away from substance - the kind of substance that kept people playing for a half-decade or more. The game is different. The community has changed, with half expecting opportunities to be spoon fed instead of being a part of something bigger than themselves, and the others getting sick and tired of it. And Blizzard wonders why they are having difficulty keeping players, old and new alike.

So, yeah, the OP has a point. This whole micro transaction model and potential max-level sale is only a bad thing and signifies that what made WoW wonderful is permanently gone. What a shame.
    Last edited by Jagoex; 2014-01-17 at 05:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Giscoicus View Post
    How is getting a level boost different than getting full normal gear, since in both cases there is a bit more? Boost to 90? Still have 100. Get full normal? Still have heroic.

An advantage is an advantage. And I have already explained the advantage additional alts provide.
    There is no guarantee you will ever get full normal gear, no matter how long you play. This is P2W because you would be paying for something that is possible to never get no matter how hard you try.

Someone would have to intentionally avoid XP to not get to max level. Paying for a level boost is not P2W because anyone can get to max level.
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2014-01-17 at 05:48 AM.

It's essentially opening the Scroll of Resurrection to all players. I don't see the issue honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by BreathTaker View Post
    Nobody sees pre-endgame as part of WoW anymore (which is a pity), so Blizzard just decided that value of insta-90s is the same as vanity items they already sell.
    I guess we're still far from buying epics from Blizz, a step closer,though.
    Pe-endgame content is extremely short in duration and limited compared to what you have available at max level. The only way to extend it would be to make leveling take longer again just as it was back in Vanilla/TBC.

To me this game is about end game content, not leveling.

Until blizz starts selling raid gear or gear with stats equivalent to raid gear, it's all fine with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    The naive attitude about how when things don't impact you in *any* way shape or form you shouldn't care about them? Yeah, care to elaborate?
    The naive attitude in thinking that it doesn't affect anyone. And calling everything in the game redundant and trivial gets old, because you can say it about literally everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagoex View Post
    The OP has a real point that so many of you are dismissing after flying over at 30,000 ft. But think about it. This really is a big deal. From high up, it may not seem like engaging micro transactions and selling max-level characters will impact the game for others. But the truth is, in the details, it already has.

The game is constitutionally different. So much of the overall experience has been removed. Leveling is skeletal. Interaction is minimal and superficial. Immersion is gone. As a result, the community shifts from deep and dynamic to shallow and entitled. Instead of focusing on the former, Blizzard reinforces the latter. And thus, the game begins to change. The journey is minimized and defined by the reward. Justice/Honor points for gear, mounts. Valor/Conquest points for more. LFD to gear up. LFR to gear up some more and satisfy the urge for more gear, which created an even greater urge for gear, more opportunity without context and moving the game further and further away from substance - the kind of substance that kept people playing for a half-decade or more. The game is different. The community has changed, with half expecting opportunities to be spoon fed instead of being a part of something bigger than themselves, and the others getting sick and tired of it. And Blizzard wonders why they are having difficulty keeping players, old and new alike.

So, yeah, the OP has a point.
    Your argument is that micro-transactions have ruined the leveling experience. My argument is that I'm tired of seeing the leveling experience after having repeatedly done it multiple times as it never changes short of a questing overhaul like with Cataclysm (which really was just changing from killing 10 plagued bears for killing 10 radically plagued bears, woooo) which I found to be completely horrible for immersion since it introduced the extremely jarring story disparity once you get to Outland and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    No they're not. Don't make things up.
    Yes they are.

Bolster the Ranks
    We’ve also heard feedback from players that they’d be interested in boosting multiple characters to 90, including alts they play with friends on other factions and realms. We’ve been evaluating ways to make that possible without having players go through roundabout methods (such as purchasing multiple boxes and performing multiple character transfers), and in the near future we’ll be testing out a feature that gives you the option to purchase a character upgrade directly.

Cool. You can buy a 90 when the level 100 xpac is about to come out. Oh yes! The World, of warcraft, is ending!
    Only the dead have seen the end of war. - George Santayana
    Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. - George Santayana

Leveling is so freaking fast, I fail to see the "win" in getting a character to level 90. Really, please tell where is the advantage/win in Blizzard offering you level 90 boost.

I see streams of people doing 48h play marathons and getting to 90 in one sitting. Do I see people complaining about that? If people want to boost to 90 and don't give a fuck about the lore, then let them. It's an entirely optional service.

The slippery slope argument has been debunked so many times. The doom prophecies were started since the first cash shop opened, which is what? 6 years? 7 years ago? We are still waiting for when WoW becomes "P2W".

Quote Originally Posted by Babzu View Post
    Yes they are.

Bolster the Ranks
    We’ve also heard feedback from players that they’d be interested in boosting multiple characters to 90, including alts they play with friends on other factions and realms. We’ve been evaluating ways to make that possible without having players go through roundabout methods (such as purchasing multiple boxes and performing multiple character transfers), and in the near future we’ll be testing out a feature that gives you the option to purchase a character upgrade directly.
    And what part of that statement explicitly says:

Now they are officially selling lvl 90 characters, even offering you a lvl 90 while the lvl 90 expansion is still out.

"Being the max level of the previous expansion is pay to win."

Nope

10+ Year Old Account
    I support this! I'd much rather get a toon boosted to 90 on a new server with friends i play with then having to level my 14th + through all that crap again. Not to mention this is a way better alternative (at least to me) than spending absurd amounts of money to move my characters to a new realm/faction.

I finally decided to say something on these forums after seeing the super moderator decide to fanboy up on this thread. Trying to derail the OP on a subject Blizz is clearly moving towards makes me sad. This game is moving in one direction, and its not up. At least let people say what they need to say without looking like a tard defending blizzard and their money grabbing ways. For goodness sakes you have a in store shop in game now, what does that mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Trubo View Post
    And what part of that statement explicitly says:

IF they are testing the UI and systems, this means they plan to implement it.

Pe-endgame content is extremely short in duration and limited compared to what you have available at max level. The only way to extend it would be to make leveling take longer again just as it was back in Vanilla/TBC.
    Even then, the pre-endgame content was relatively short. At least in TBC it was. It didn't take forever to get from 60-70. There was far more content for the leveling process than there was leveling. The only reason the leveling content wasn't as short was due to the faction rep requirements to even get into Heroics. It forced you into those dungeons just to get enough rep to get keys. Even at max level you'd still be running leveling content.

10+ Year Old Account
    All those years we made fun of the people saying. "If they sell server transfers whats stoping them from selling gear or max lvl characters? We thought such connection would never happen, since blizzard knows better.

Then they removed the faction limit and sold faction changes.....ok not that big of a deal, a little bit of worry spread the forums, but most people learned to accept it.

Now they are officially selling lvl 90 characters, even offering you a lvl 90 while the lvl 90 expansion is still out. This is officially, for me and my personal comfort level, too far. Wow has changes and so design physiology changes with it. It will continent you do so, iv spent much time in wow thinking that they made some mistakes and they will simply get back on track with the epic gameplay choices they made in the past.

But I realize now, that im simply an outdated customer, and that few of these things are mistakes. They are simply shifts to a new style of game, one that does not catch my fancy. Im more of an oldschool RPG fan, wow back in TBC hit my personal favorite balance on the genre. Wow is still a good game to some, but its not the same game. Do I feel its fair? Not really. I wish they would open up oldschool servers to support the fans of wow past. But there are always other ways to do that.

Blizzard seems under the impression that "less people are playing mmos in general" but I dont think that is a result of the consumer, as much as it is a result of the lack of a true mmo products. (This one could be opinion, but for me this is true, I still love mmos, I just dont know of any REAL mmos these days)

I agree 100% especially about not knowing of any REAL mmos.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people - Martin Luther King, Jr.

10+ Year Old Account
    look at it this way, wow has developed to a point where the only thing that really feels like it matters at all is max lvl.

So what we have is like 1-89 = Single Player, 90 = Multiplayer. They're jst allowing people to purchase multiplayer on a character instead of forcing you to play singleplayer/coop.

Quote Originally Posted by poobearzz View Post
    I finally decided to say something on these forums after seeing the super moderator decide to fanboy up on this thread. Trying to derail the OP on a subject Blizz is clearly moving towards makes me sad. This game is moving in one direction, and its not up. At least let people say what they need to say without looking like a tard defending blizzard and their money grabbing ways. For goodness sakes you have a in store shop in game now, what does that mean?
    "Clearly"? Not quite. It isn't even remotely clear they're moving in a P2W direction. Not by a long shot.

By the way, if you want to avoid bans, I would suggest you don't call others "fanboy" or "tard".

Your argument is that micro-transactions have ruined the leveling experience. My argument is that I'm tired of seeing the leveling experience after having repeatedly done it multiple times as it never changes short of a questing overhaul like with Cataclysm (which really was just changing from killing 10 plagued bears for killing 10 radically plagued bears, woooo) which I found to be completely horrible for immersion since it introduced the extremely jarring story disparity once you get to Outland and beyond.
    My argument is that micro transactions and max-level sales are just the most recent in a string of changes that signify a shift in vision - a shift that has taken away dimensions of the game that kept people playing for years and years, not months and months, weeks, days, etc.

The Vanilla leveling experience - the one that demanded socialization - was different every time because the people and circumstances were often different. There was depth, camaraderie, engagement (vs satisfaction), and resulting loyalty to the people and to the game. Now, we have neither as the current leveling model is just "LFD->Level->Rinse/Repeat." No people. No connectedness. No wonder we're at the lowest subscription point the game has seen since 2006.