Can I not hook up surround sound to my TV?

So I was thinking about getting a surround sound system but I looked at the back of my TV at the inputs and for some reason it doesn't have audio outputs. The TV is pretty new, its 42" 1080p and my old TV from like 6 years ago that was 32" 720p had audio outputs and as far as I know that's the only way to hook up surround sound unless something changed and that's why my TV doesn't have them but I find it weird it doesn't.

This is exactly what the back of it looks like besides the Optical Digital Audio Out. I use the HDMI for my PS4. Is there a way I can hook up surround sound?
    http://i.imgur.com/9KgY1AS.jpg

you ... point out precisely what can give you your surround sound, then wonder what can give it to you? .... I don't get it.

You do know the optical digital audio output is your audio out from the TV right? ... instead of the red and white RCA connector, it's that optical port ... but it's the same thing ... might require a new soundbar/radio/home cinema that has the same connector though, but it's right there

Depending on what surround sound system you get, it may have HDMI input itself, which you would plug the PS4 into, and from there, another HDMI cable to the TV. For TV audio, you would either use the optical digital output from the TV, or if you use a cable/satellite box, HDMI from there into the sound system.

Quote Originally Posted by Charecters View Post
    So I was thinking about getting a surround sound system but I looked at the back of my TV at the inputs and for some reason it doesn't have audio outputs. The TV is pretty new, its 42" 1080p and my old TV from like 6 years ago that was 32" 720p had audio outputs and as far as I know that's the only way to hook up surround sound unless something changed and that's why my TV doesn't have them but I find it weird it doesn't.

This is exactly what the back of it looks like besides the Optical Digital Audio Out. I use the HDMI for my PS4. Is there a way I can hook up surround sound?
    http://i.imgur.com/9KgY1AS.jpg
    Not sure if a PS4 has this but if it is anything like PS3, if you want surround just for gaming Run HDMI from TV to PS4 and Optical from PS4 to receiver for sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Elggur View Post
    you ... point out precisely what can give you your surround sound, then wonder what can give it to you? .... I don't get it.

You do know the optical digital audio output is your audio out from the TV right? ... instead of the red and white RCA connector, it's that optical port ... but it's the same thing ... might require a new soundbar/radio/home cinema that has the same connector though, but it's right there
    That's what I thought too but I don't know if you're familiar with the thing Turtlebeach headphones comes with the red/white to 3.5mm connector, I tried using that with headphones and no sound came out I don't see how it would be any different with surround sound.
    Last edited by Last Attempt; 2014-01-17 at 04:49 AM.

Yea just checked PS4 has the optical out, i mean you won't get surround sound from just watching regular TV but durigng ames/movies on gaming console you will if use method i described above.

If you want it during regular TV also and your TV doesn't have the optical out? it can be done through a digital cable box.

Quote Originally Posted by Caedhros View Post
    Depending on what surround sound system you get, it may have HDMI input itself, which you would plug the PS4 into, and from there, another HDMI cable to the TV. For TV audio, you would either use the optical digital output from the TV, or if you use a cable/satellite box, HDMI from there into the sound system.
    This. Just look for a system that has HDMI inputs and then that will basically act as a switcher for you to swap between PS4/Cable/Sat/whatever.

If there is something more here then you need to expound on that. As surround sound systems can have that. I know you mention a turtle beach headset later on, but it's not clear if you're trying to use that or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomec View Post
    This. Just look for a system that has HDMI inputs and then that will basically act as a switcher for you to swap between PS4/Cable/Sat/whatever.

If there is something more here then you need to expound on that. As surround sound systems can have that. I know you mention a turtle beach headset later on, but it's not clear if you're trying to use that or not.
    I was just trying to use the turtlebeach connector to see if sound would come out but it didn't I guess I'll just have to go with that way though thanks for the help.

I know theire is some kind of converter that can be sold in some shop that will switch a toslink (optical audio out) to a normal red/white connector .... will not get the same sound quality ... but it exist ..... IF i'm not mistaken, might cost something like 60$ though

What type of surround sound system are you trying to install? On your TV it would generally work either a A/V receiver that has HDMI support, all your consoles and set top boxes would plug into the AV receivers HDMI input(s), then you would have a hdmi "monitor out" on the receiver to feed back into the TV's HDMI port, you would then use hte receiver to switch to the various iputs.

Other option is running optical from the TV into a receiver or soundbar.

Also some sound bars and home theater in a box systems have HDMI switching or optical inputs/