Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why are tanks doing this?

K just ain't warriors but here lately why are ppl going parry/Stam or just straight stamina gems? The ppl I ask said they don't do a lot of heroics just normal mostly. One guy said he has 65% avoidance that way but without hemming that way I run about 58%. Idk I ask but I can never get a straight answer from anyone.
    Thanks for answers

Deleted

Deleted
    You dont go straight stam unless you atcually need to buff your health pool for a specific reason. The parry is for the new riposte passive tanks got recently. Its mainly warrior tanks that do this, but its also viable on Dks too, but they dont use the crit.

Parry/dodge, because of riposte i guess. Makes you do more damage, and take less.
    Only think it's warriors/DKs that really try to go that way.
    Stam seems a bit odd for warriors, except if you're actually dying. Might make sense on some of the later HC bosses. Know some DKs do it to avoid scaring healer too much.
    Stam isn't really a good stat, except to the level where you don't die, and the healthpool from gear seems to overall be enough currently, on all the tank classes.
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

Deleted
    Going straight stamina is pretty bad. Parry+stam for those pesky blue sockets I guess <.<.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I prefer hit+parry or hit+dodge if I'm matching a blue socket unless I'm way too heavy on hit on the rest of my gear. That way I can reforge away more hit somewhere else for more parry or dodge.

Only reason to use a Parry/Stam gem as a Warrior is that the socket bonus is worth picking up and you can't reforge excess Hit into something else. I generally ignore blue sockets and gem pure Parry for Riposte and Hold the Line procs.

When I had to switch to my warrior alt to help out my guild since most of our tanks went AWOL, I switched to a lot of straight stamina gems or <x>/stamina gems since my ilvl was still around 550 or so but we were doing SoO heroic. Once I got enough gear I switched out of them and went for parry and dodge gems. So maybe the tanks you looked at were dealing with content that's much higher than what they are geared for? That's the only reasoning I can think of.

All the people I looked at was my item level or 2 higher and I am 555 and a lot of them said they don't do but a couple bosses in heroic and I know the buff we gain just makes me wonder why. Oh and they put them in every socket with no worry for anything else. They don't care about bonus or anything so idk just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong by not stam stacking like they do

- - - Updated - - -

Btw this has been every tanking class but pallies. Even monks and Druids doing it

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sosleapy View Post
    Btw this has been every tanking class but pallies. Even monks and Druids doing it
    As a monk, there are really 2 gemming/gearing strategies: Crit or Mastery. Crit can be both for 10 and 25 man; mastery is more reserved for 25 and a number of the 10h bosses. I don't know enough about druids to speak to that part, but the fact that (other than the beginning of the expansion when people were pushing for progression while undergeared) monks gem parry/dodge/stam is plain wrong and should NOT be followed.

As a monk tank, our best offensive stat also happens to be our best defensive stat (crit).
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Quote Originally Posted by sosleapy View Post
    All the people I looked at was my item level or 2 higher and I am 555 and a lot of them said they don't do but a couple bosses in heroic and I know the buff we gain just makes me wonder why. Oh and they put them in every socket with no worry for anything else. They don't care about bonus or anything so idk just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong by not stam stacking like they do

- - - Updated - - -

What, monks and druids gemming stamina? I've never seen people do that outside of extremely hard hitting bosses (Nazgrim, Malkorok, Garrosh for current tier examples) and even then they're trading a huge amount of their damage and resource generation ability for a little more padding.

Oh I know monks shouldn't ever gem Stam but I have seen it plenty I was just scratching my head why I have seen a lot of tNks doing this

There's a lot of people playing the game who have gear that is not optimal because they don't know any better or disagree with the norm for one reason or another.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ection-Warrior

Q: So I decided to stack avoidance. How should I balance my parry and dodge rating?

A:

2. Throw as much into Parry as possible to take advantage of the HOLD THE LINE GLYPH. The downside is that you lose out on some avoidance due to the DR on parry although the amount you lose is very little (a few 10ths of a percentage of avoidance).

If the tanks are stam stacking they're doing it wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primohastat View Post
    That toxicity is normal in WoW. Even classic. And it comes from this what so called elitism, spreading everywhere. Average player say that classic is piss easy and every aspect can be done with minimal effort. But right after that, the same player ignites with rage when someone wants to apply that minimal effort

Stack parry. There's a next to nothing loss in total avoidance, but you don't stack avoidance for avoidance, you stack avoidance rating to convert to crit.

You should balance the parry and dodge rating, so they're roughly equal. Not percentage. Due to DR it's the best for avoidance. I wouldn't ever stack full parry. I'd simply have too many big spikes due to DR.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempro View Post
    You should balance the parry and dodge rating, so they're roughly equal. Not percentage. Due to DR it's the best for avoidance. I wouldn't ever stack full parry. I'd simply have too many big spikes due to DR.
    It has been said like a thousand times already.... the avoidance loss of going full parry is negligible because it's so small (around 0.1%) but it will result in quite a big DPS boost.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempro View Post
    You don't understand damage spikes or DR.

From what I've seen, at ~555 item level, a Protection Warrior can be hard hit/exp capped while also reaching (with proper gear) about 50% avoidance on the first table. The "why" is as others have explained. With the stats on gear as available (and how it scales), you can avoid every other auto attack from a boss (exaggeration, but referencing the 50%+ avoidance). Both Dodging and Parrying an attack will refresh Revenge, with Parrying providing a damage buff from Glyph of Hold the Line. And, with Riposte, you are converting 75% of both your Dodge and Parry ratings into Critical Strike, which is a significant dps gain, especially with Vengeance.

However, the reason for Stam gems should (might not be the reason, but it's a logical reason) be due to players believing they don't have the Health value to accommodate the current raid, which usually occurs when your ilvl matches or is close to the gear that drops on your difficulty. That being said, (example) if you are going into a raid that hits with a big AoE that does 400k to all players, and the boss does 150k auto attacks, you'd want to make sure your health value is high enough to live from a bad RNGed scenario (auto->AoE->auto in ~3-4 seconds). But the moment it is, and any time beyond that, you'd go towards other stats. More often than not, you'll see tanks, after they "outgear" an instance, aim more towards damage (example: Tanks using Stam Trinkets vs Damage trinkets or Tank trinkets that don't involve Stam).

That being said, between Dodge and Parry, Damage always helps. Having even a 1% better chance at avoiding something that won't kill you isn't really that big of a worry.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Recke View Post
    From what I've seen, at ~555 item level, a Protection Warrior can be hard hit/exp capped while also reaching (with proper gear) about 50% avoidance on the first table. The "why" is as others have explained. With the stats on gear as available (and how it scales), you can avoid every other auto attack from a boss (exaggeration, but referencing the 50%+ avoidance). Both Dodging and Parrying an attack will refresh Revenge, with Parrying providing a damage buff from Glyph of Hold the Line. And, with Riposte, you are converting 75% of both your Dodge and Parry ratings into Critical Strike, which is a significant dps gain, especially with Vengeance.

However, the reason for Stam gems should (might not be the reason, but it's a logical reason) be due to players believing they don't have the Health value to accommodate the current raid, which usually occurs when your ilvl matches or is close to the gear that drops on your difficulty. That being said, (example) if you are going into a raid that hits with a big AoE that does 400k to all players, and the boss does 150k auto attacks, you'd want to make sure your health value is high enough to live from a bad RNGed scenario (auto->AoE->auto in ~3-4 seconds). But the moment it is, and any time beyond that, you'd go towards other stats. More often than not, you'll see tanks, after they "outgear" an instance, aim more towards damage (example: Tanks using Stam Trinkets vs Damage trinkets or Tank trinkets that don't involve Stam).

That being said, between Dodge and Parry, Damage always helps. Having even a 1% better chance at avoiding something that won't kill you isn't really that big of a worry.
    The better of a player you are, the less stamina you can get away with - if you know a big hit is coming in, there are tons of abilities to reduce that dmg as a tank today.