Thread: Upgrading Psu

Upgrading Psu

I have recently purchased an r9 280x and I'm looking to buy a 750w power supply to go along with it, however I am not completely sure what to look for in a good Psu besides the 80+ bronze/gold ratings or what not. I have an Haf 912 case, and my budget is up to $150 since i believe that is more than enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachum View Post
    I have recently purchased an r9 280x and I'm looking to buy a 750w power supply to go along with it, however I am not completely sure what to look for in a good Psu besides the 80+ bronze/gold ratings or what not. I have an Haf 912 case, and my budget is up to $150 since i believe that is more than enough.
    Are you planning on crossfire'ing 280X's? If not, a 550W would be more than enough for a 280X. If you are or want the option, go for a 750+.

CX500M / CX600M for $49.99 after rebates, both are 80+ bronze.

EVGA SuperNOVA 750W for $59.99 after rebates, also a 80+ bronze.

For something on the 80+ silver/gold/plat range.

Corsair HX750M for $89.99 after rebates, 80+ gold

Seasonic G 550W for $85.99, 80+ gold

Silverstone Strider 600W for $85.98 after rebates, 80+ silver

EVGA SuperNOVA 750W for $99.99, 80+ gold
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

Quote Originally Posted by tielknight View Post
    Are you planning on crossfire'ing 280X's? If not, a 550W would be more than enough for a 280X. If you are or want the option, go for a 750+.

CX500M / CX600M for $49.99 after rebates, both are 80+ bronze.

EVGA SuperNOVA 750W for $59.99 after rebates, also a 80+ bronze.

For something on the 80+ silver/gold/plat range.

Corsair HX750M for $89.99 after rebates, 80+ gold

Seasonic G 550W for $85.99, 80+ gold

Silverstone Strider 600W for $85.98 after rebates, 80+ silver

EVGA SuperNOVA 750W for $99.99, 80+ gold
    i dont plan on crossfire, however i dont see the point of spending money for an extra 50w may as well get the 750w for any future upgrades. The 80+ gold Corsair looks pretty nice and will probably be the one i choose thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachum View Post
    i dont plan on crossfire, however i dont see the point of spending money for an extra 50w may as well get the 750w for any future upgrades. The 80+ gold Corsair looks pretty nice and will probably be the one i choose thanks.
    The Corsair HX is $40 off it's normal price, so thats a pretty damn good deal at the moment and comes with a 7-year warranty to boot.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

Just as a small additional point, adding a decent bit "more" PSU than you think you'll need often works out well in a couple of ways. Firstly for efficiency the ratings are usually based on a highly loaded but not fully stressed PSU so as you get closer to the full rating, efficiency can drop off a bit. Secondly, noise. There's usually a fairly considerably "ramp" in fan noise once you cross the 50/60% load mark on even fairly quiet PSU's.

If you have the cash spare, get something a bit bigger (as you seem to be intending).
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.