Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why can't Blizzard do it like Valve is doing with TF2?

Releasing 2 or 3 helmets for 5 or 10 dollars is a bad idea, if you're going to jump, you might as well jump with two feet, start pumping out thousands of cosmetic items, 10 or 20 a week. They want to make money? Why not go the TF2 hat route? I've spent a small fortune on keys and hats and ive made a small fortune as well. Blizzard doesn't know the true meaning of collectibles, they release something that's rare and limited but later down the road they re-issue same mount or item up for grabs.

Cause TF2 doesn't use subs for its main source of money
    You must become a Master Baiter if you want to want to master the One-eyed Fish of the Dark Caverns!

Because its icky and I don't like it!

/s

Deleted
    Because TF is shit?

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Because its icky and I don't like it!

/s
    But collecting is fun, its tried and tested with several games, tf2 being the best example, and just by strolling around goldshire, even on non rp servers, people like to have their trinkets, their perfect transmog sets, their toys, why not capitalize on it?

Quote Originally Posted by turskanaattori View Post
    Because TF is shit?
    I don't even play TF2, but I do like collecting items, imagine having that on a game people actually like playing? Like I said, they need to hire a separate team that pumps out items, items that everyone doesn't have. Like I said 3 helms, it's like trying to piss on a forest fire. Hell even my LFR Cata priest tier set, not everyone has it, and people admire it, and im sure down the line they will give the opportunity for everyone to obtain that. Sorry you are not going to make money by giving everyone the opportunity to obtain said items, it's just how collectibles work.
    Last edited by electthedead; 2014-01-18 at 09:30 PM.

Blizzard is really not one for a community driven experience, not since WC3 at least. It has its pros and cons but honestly, its never going to happen so its all just speculation. Hats ruined TF2 imo. I really dislike micro-transactions and what they do to games.

Quote Originally Posted by electthedead View Post
    Releasing 2 or 3 helmets for 5 or 10 dollars is a bad idea, if you're going to jump, you might as well jump with two feet, start pumping out thousands of cosmetic items, 10 or 20 a week. They want to make money? Why not go the TF2 hat route? I've spent a small fortune on keys and hats and ive made a small fortune as well. Blizzard doesn't know the true meaning of collectibles, they release something that's rare and limited but later down the road they re-issue same mount or item up for grabs.
    I just read an article that said more then half of the items for TF2 have actually been made by the community.

That's the main reason. I don't want the WOW community making my items. I want Blizzard making them. Which costs developer time.

Quote Originally Posted by Komie View Post
    I just read an article that said more then half of the items for TF2 have actually been made by the community.

That's the main reason. I don't want the WOW community making my items. I want Blizzard making them. Which costs developer time.
    The vast majority of the community simply couldn't make wow items. From an art perspective valve is really open with their design criteria and that allows for a larger pool and less skilled people to get involved. I could teach you in a few hours how to make a decent item for TF2 but I honestly don't think I could teach an absolute beginning to accurately follow the wow art style in texturing. What you'd end up with in wow would be like EQ2; A lot of items that don't really seem to fit.

I used to play TF2 a lot. I think back and I am pretty sure I stopped playing (apart from the odd dabble) when they brought the whole uber supply of hats etc in. There can be such a thing as too much community input

Also, vaaaaaaaaaaaaaastly different genre of game rather makes the discussion moot

I doubt a lot of people play games outside of WoW here, so let alone they know about TF2 and their payment model

Quote Originally Posted by Effbee View Post
    Also, vaaaaaaaaaaaaaastly different genre of game rather makes the discussion moot
    If it works for a First person shooter, don't you think it would be better suited and more successful for a mmorpg? I seriously don't think they see the opportunity they have at hand here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by electthedead View Post
    But collecting is fun, its tried and tested with several games, tf2 being the best example, and just by strolling around goldshire, even on non rp servers, people like to have their trinkets, their perfect transmog sets, their toys, why not capitalize on it?

I don't even play TF2, but I do like collecting items, imagine having that on a game people actually like playing? Like I said, they need to hire a separate team that pumps out items, items that everyone doesn't have. Like I said 3 helms, it's like trying to piss on a forest fire. Hell even my LFR Cata priest tier set, not everyone has it, and people admire it, and im sure down the line they will give the opportunity for everyone to obtain that. Sorry you are not going to make money by giving everyone the opportunity to obtain said items, it's just how collectibles work.
    Total amount of purchasable items in the Mann Co Store(counting bundles as a single item): 540.

Total amount of battle pets and mounts in WoW(excluding Blizz-shop): 500 pets + 363 mounts = 863.

I think I set the filters right, but my calculations were done by taking WoWhead-link #1 – WoWhead-link #2 = Pets, and WoWhead-link #3 is mounts. Let me know if I set the filters right, sources at the bottom.

Basically, I think both games have the best option for their payment model. TF2 lets you buy whatever you want RIGHT NOW, and it is free-to-play, therefore they want to maximize profit while you play. Blizz is sub-based, and therefore you have to spend time to collect practically everything, since it is in their interest to keep you subbed.

Let Blizz be Blizz and Valve be Valve, I say.

Sources:
    http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Ma...tore_Pricelist
    http://www.wowhead.com/petspecies?fi...0:0:0:0:0;ma=1
    http://www.wowhead.com/petspecies?fi...crv=0:0:0;ma=1
    http://www.wowhead.com/items=15.5?fi...;crv=0:0:0:0:0

Sidenote: My post does NOT include gear, titles, or achievements. Imagine if it did o.O
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Deleted
    By topics:

TF2 doesn't have subscription.

TF2 has 90% of the game free, being 10% minor stuff who doesn't lock you too much from the rest of the playerbase.

TF2 is a co-op FPS, WoW is a MMO. Don't compare apples to oranges.

And finally, and most important, those hats and misc items can be crafted using game resources without requiring any type of money spending.

Compare each topic to WoW current system and you will see that they are million years away from each other.
    Last edited by mmocda37b2a89b; 2014-01-18 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Konata View Post
    I remember screaming when they made the mountain dew warbot a vendor item. ._.
    Because pets limited by region are unfair.
    Mountain Dew promotion was US only prior to that.
    Some pets have been China only, one of which now I think is a RaF reward.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

TF2 is a F2P game that exists upon people buying cosmetic items or skins.

WoW is a sub driven game that exists upon people paying for access to servers and as a result content updates.

If Blizzard said "we've hired 5 new artists that otherwise wouldn't be present just to create cosmetic stuff" then I wouldn't mind it, but i don't want that kind of thing taking art away from the actual game.

I was even more pissed when they gave my High Warlord Title to new players .. it's dumb.

Wha, huh? Do tell
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Any visual armor piece in WoW has to be able to fit each races model, which takes time to do. I'm pretty sure most of the hats in TF2 can fit on any model and don't have to be changed much if at all. People need to really think about what goes into making something like a 3d model before complaining about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclekreepy View Post
    I was even more pissed when they gave my High Warlord Title to new players .. it's dumb.
    Not so much new players; getting 2400 legitimately; probably requires more skill than not logging out for a month to get Grand Marshall. Its the facking win traders and boosters getting the titles that's shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Because pets limited by region are unfair.
    Mountain Dew promotion was US only prior to that.
    Some pets have been China only, one of which now I think is a RaF reward.
    Some of the China pets are, the crystal panthers. Not the murlocs. I think.