Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Siegecrafter 25 Man Heroic - Prot War Guide

Firstly, not all of you will agree with my methods, and not all of you will need this guide, but I get asked how to deal with the encounter a lot by other prot warriors on my own realm, so I've decided to write this up and put it up here so that I can re-direct them to it, whilst at the same time providing some tips to anybody else who may be battling this boss at the moment.

Introduction

Protection Warriors are one of the best tanking classes for this encounter, mainly for their ability to also deal high burst damage. This is particularly useful for dealing with the Automated Shredders that will be landing approximately ever 60 seconds, throughout the encounter.

The Siegecrafter encounter is very reliant on your tanks doing their job correctly, and the Automated Shredders are the main consideration here. To understand why this is, you'll first need to understand the mechanics of the fight, and how they tie into each other.

Tank Specific Mechanics

As already mentioned, Automated Shredders will be landing on the platform approximately every 60 seconds. These land on the opposite side of the room to the belt on which various members of your raid group are assigned to kill weapons.

If you look at your Dungeon Journal, you'll note that Automated Shredders are buffed with Reactive Armor. The journal will tell you that:

Automated Shredders have been retrofitted with Reactive Armor, reducing damage taken by 90%.

Automated Shredders can also be damaged by Serated Slash*, Shockwave Missile, Detonate and Superheated
    *Serrated Slash is the damage done by the Sawblades that are periodically launched at other members of your raid group.

You should also note that tanking these Shredders within 35 yards of the boss will cause the boss to heal them.

So, how do you kill something that has a 90% damage reduction buff up, permanently? The answer is Electrostatic Charge. Electrostatic Charge is an ability used against the current highest threat target (tank) by the boss throughout the encounter. Your Dungeon Journal will tell you:

Siegecrafter Blackfuse charges his target with static electricity, inflicting 375,000 Nature damage.

Electrostatic Charge also leaves a lingering effect increasing the damage taken from Electrostatic Charge by 100% increasing damage dealt to targets with Reactive Armor by 400%.

This effect stacks up to 10 times.
    Ergo, abusing this debuff is how you'll want to deal with the shredders... But it gets better! Looking further into the Dungeon Journal, you'll find that the Shredders have an ability called Death from Above:

The Automated Shredder propels itself into the air and then slams back into the ground, dealing 750,000 damage to players within 15 yards of the point of impact.

After landing, the Shredder is stunned and takes 200% additional damage for 5 sec.
    These 5 seconds are key in making sure your shredder is killed quickly.

Recommended Talents

The only 2 talents that I strongly recommend are Dragon Roar and Storm Bolt. Depending on your guilds choice of tactic; there are 2 main widely used tactic - one tanking the boss near the main belt, and one tanking the boss near the boss near the Shredder spawn point. If your guild chooses to tank near the Shredder spawn point, I'd also recommend Piercing Howl as the Crawler Mines will also be spawning in this area, so you'll be able to support your DPS with a slowing effect on these Mines.

Safeguard and Vigilance are also good, but I personally prefer to use Vigilance. They're both useful to help your other tank out once they start reaching high stacks of Electro Static charge. However, Electrostatic Charge casts can be delayed by the boss using other abilities, making the 6 second buff of Safeguard a risk, as it may fall off before the charge is applied. Vigilance also allows you to put your buff on your co-tank from a distance, such as while you're away killing a Shredder.

The Pull

The pull is pretty important for your Electrostatic Charge debuff building rotation. The first charge is applied immediately when the boss is pulled, and can be cast from a distance. Therefore, if you have some hungry DPS who pre-cast, it's possible that the first debuff will land on a DPS - this will make a mess of the debuff rotation and may cause the first Shredder to be alive for too long. Killing the first one quickly is vital, as you want to get back to the boss in time to gain another charge before your existing charges fall off.

The way I do this, is as follows:

When the pull timer reaches 3s, use your pot, and when the timer reaches 1 second, Taunt the boss and charge in. This should guarantee that you'll receive the first charge.

The first Shredder will land at around the same time that your 3rd charge is applied. Killing a shredder quickly with only 3 charges can be very difficult, but you'll remember that they can also be damaged by Sawblades, Missles and the fire left behind by lasers. You should ask that your ranged DPS and Healers drop the FIRST 2 sawblades next to eachother, somewhere further than 35 yards from the boss tank spot (I recommend the centre of the room), but not too far as you'll be out of range of healers.

When you receive your 3rd charge application, grab the shredder, have your co-tank pick up the boss, and use your heroic leap to quickly get to these 2 saw blades*. Position the shredder so that it is being damaged by one of the saw blades.

* It's only really necessary to have 1 saw blade for damage, as the Shredder will only take damage from 1 blade at any given time. However, if you're finding it a pain in the ass to position (and it changes position very slightly after landing) then 2 can be helpful for a guild making their first progress pulls.

Killing your Shredder Quickly

You want to deal as much damage as you can to your shredder before it casts Death from Above. So use your ultimatum procs as soon as they're up. Make sure, wherever possible, that you have Shield Block up when casting Shield Slam (making use of Glyph of Heavy Repercussions).

When the boss lifts off into the air, you have 2 options:

1) Use a cooldown and eat that damage
    2) Move at least 15 yards away

Either way, you'll want to get back on him as soon as possible and make use of the 5 seconds of 200% damage taken increase.

I use the following macro (this is basically my macro for pulling when I need instant high threat - I don't use it very often on the pull these days, but it's still handy for times when your vengeance is high, and does not need updating when you change talents):

Code:
    #showtooltip Recklessness
    /cast Berserker Rage
    /stopcasting
    /cast Battle Shout
    /stopcasting
    /cast Recklessness
    /stopcasting
    /cast Avatar
    /stopcasting
    /cast Bloodbath
    /stopcasting
    /cast Blood Fury
    /stopcasting
    /cast Charge
    /stopcasting
    /cast heroic leap
    You'll want to press this when you see the shredder hit the ground. You'll charge the Shredder whether you ate the damage (as it knocks you high into the air) or if you moved away from the landing zone. Either way, as soon as you arrive back at the boss, you want to Dragon Roar and Stormbolt, you should also have sufficient rage from this macro to shield block and drop a shield slam.

You can also use your Shattering Throw as it's casting Death from Above, but this requires some precise timing.

With 3 stacks of Charge, you should be able to drop the Shredder to below 20% hp or very close, so you can start executing to finish it off.

I then use intervene to quickly get back to the boss and taunt, ready for my 4th stack.

For most of the Shredders after this, you will have plenty of fire around the room to tank the Shredder in. At 7 stacks you really don't need any help killing it, and in many cases can actually finish it off, before Death from Above, and with no DPS cooldowns needed.

Charge Rotation on Tanks

So how do you manage your charges?

We do it as follows:

Charge 1: Tank 1 (1)
    Charge 2: Tank 1 (2)
    Charge 3: Tank 1 (3)
    - Tank 1 goes to kill Shredder 1
    Charge 4: Tank 2 (1)
    Charge 5: Tank 2 (2)
    Charge 6: Tank 1 (4)
    Charge 7: Tank 1 (5)
    - Tank 1 goes to kill Shredder 2
    Charge 8: Tank 2 (3)
    Charge 9: Tank 2 (4)
    Charge 10: Tank 1 (6)
    Charge 11: Tank 1 (7)
    - Tank 1 goes to kill Shredder 3
    - Tank 1 allows stacks to fall off

Charge 12: Tank 2 (5)
    Charge 13: Tank 2 (6)
    Charge 14: Tank 2 (7)
    - Tank 2 goes to kill Shredder 4

At this point, you restart the process. Tank 2 allows stacks to drop, while Tank 1 builds up to 3 again.
    Preventing Death due to Charge Damage

For the first 5 Electrostatic Charges, I am able to survive comfortably using only Shield Barrier
    For stack 6 I ask for a Hand of Sacrifice and use a Shield Barrier
    For stack 7 I ask for a Pain Suppression and use a Shield Barrier

This leaves me with Shield Wall available to use if things get messy and I need to take an 8th.

See what I've explained, in action!

In this video I did not choose Storm Bolt, but was testing how Bloodbath was for the encounter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2lHhbNe_4
    Last edited by mmocf2f2bdae9e; 2014-01-26 at 09:35 PM.

Pretty similar to how me and my co-tank(monk) take the stacks besides that i stop taking stacks on 6 and when hes taken the 7th one and ive lost mine i just take 4 in a row and solo that add outside healing range. All of the other ones we kill together in meele with the boss.

Solid guide I must say! Just something small, the shredder can only be damaged by one sawblade at any given point of time. The sawblade applies a debuff to the shredder that deals DoT, but no matter how many sawlades you have it will only ever have one debuff, and the debuff doesn't grow any bigger either.
    My Stream
    NollTvåTre Looking for Raiders

What Warriorsarri said. Its also nice to have reck ready for the moment where u only have 3 stacks.

In my opinion safeguard is alot stronger because of its short cooldown but i guess in your case Vigi is okay since u move the shredders outside of healing range most of the time.

Deleted
    Yeah, I guess I should have been a little more specific on the Sawblades part. Reason I ask them to drop 2 close together is because I found that *sometimes* (rarely though) the Shredder didn't land on the same spot that it took off from - so merely a safety measure to ensure it lands on one of them. For the most part it seems to land slightly behind its' previous spot, so it can also be overcome by positioning it with its' back to the blade. It's just become a force of habit now though, and was originally a fix for a negligible amount of damage loss anyway.

Safeguard is definitely very strong indeed. I guess it boils down to play style, I myself like to use intervene on CD to maintain a spot of vengeance, and when my co-tank doesn't need my vigilance, I throw it on someone else in the raid group for saw blade, or even someone kiting a laser during magnetic crush.

For the benefit of the guide, both are completely viable, and I would try both and see which fitted best with the play style.

Deleted
    Stormbolt do goods dmg?

I used Dragon roar+Blood bath but wondering how Stormbolt is good ?

You use Storm Bolt as he comes down from Death From Above and get the damage bonus + all 3 buffed GCDs. It's good but I felt it was pretty unnecessary because of how broken warriors are for the fight.

Deleted
    Both Stormbolt and Bloodbath are viable, indeed. As you see in the linked video, I'm using bloodbath. The only downside that I found from it was that at higher stacks the shredder was dead before bloodbath could do anything, so in that regard I find having stormbolt as an extra high damage, single target ability a slight increase as it a) lets you take down the shredder ever so slightly faster, and also provides a small amount of utility in the ability to stun a rogue crawler mine from a distance (since you can use it once between every shredder due to its 30s cd).

Deleted
    Very nice guide, well written and put together! I personally use a different strategy but it was a great read! VERY NICE!

Nice guide. Nice UI.
    Last edited by Pariah; 2014-01-21 at 02:03 PM.

Xpariah
    , Protection Warrior
    Xdh, Vengeance Demon Hunter
    Reckoning, Usually Recruiting
    YouTube & Twitch, Warrior & DH Tank PoV

Deleted
    Since when did stormbolt become viable ?

Isn't it the worst of the 3 choices ? Bloodbath, avatar, stormbolt in that order ?

Great guide tho, well written!

For this one fight Stormbolt is a viable choice, as it means you can fit one extra attack into the 200% damage taken phase. (If you throw SB as the Shredder is about to land it will land on the target just as he gets the debuff).
    My Stream

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Warriorsarri View Post
    For this one fight Stormbolt is a viable choice, as it means you can fit one extra attack into the 200% damage taken phase. (If you throw SB as the Shredder is about to land it will land on the target just as he gets the debuff).
    Cant remember what stormbolt hit for, only used it like 1 try.
    But buffing all gcd's inside DOA, specially HR SS by 20/30% must be more then stormbolt itself ?
    Remember how everyone was hating at stormbolt in the prot sticky weeks ago, so was curious what changed.
    I even got dirty looks for saying i used avatar and found it best for consistency with low electro stacks.
    Last edited by mmoc51f27689b0; 2014-01-21 at 05:02 PM.

Well, it's a personal preference more than anything for that fight, all three of them are viable. These days I just take Bloodbath and use it on the boss as I don't need it to kill my shredders.
    My Stream

Last kill for us, Blood Bath only did 700k total damage to all shredders. It's a rather small amount considering how much you're going to be hitting the mob for and often killing it before the dot can do some real damage. But as Warriorsarri said, you can use it on the boss and do more damage there since it's not needed to kill the shredder.

Deleted
    Well, from what I recall when I tried stormbolt it was basically like having a second dragon roar. With the tactic I use though I am popping Bloodbath as soon as the first shredder spawns and nuking it and basically just killing the first as it is landing without getting the overload, any after that I just pop bloodbath as soon as it is available. In the end using it combined with dragon roar to assist on killing the crawler mines

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by santa666 View Post
    Cant remember what stormbolt hit for, only used it like 1 try.
    But buffing all gcd's inside DOA, specially HR SS by 20/30% must be more then stormbolt itself ?
    Remember how everyone was hating at stormbolt in the prot sticky weeks ago, so was curious what changed.
    I even got dirty looks for saying i used avatar and found it best for consistency with low electro stacks.
    It hits for 500% Weapon Damage - and is then boosted again by your stacks/200% damage taken debuff. Speaking PURELY in terms of getting your shredder down ASAP, you'll most likely find Storm Bolt to deal more damage (with higher stacks you'll be killing the shredder before your blood bath gets many ticks off). However, from an overall view of the encounter as a whole, and at a point where you are able to down the shredders without needing an additional instant high damage single target ability, blood bath becomes more useful (can be used on mines for MAOR WIN).

Guide, though, is primarily aimed at tanks in guilds who're just starting on the encounter and who may be having issues getting the shredders down. If you're farming, go blood bath. If you have no issue killing shredders and your DPS suck at killing mines (and you tank near mine spawn point) go blood bath. If you're having issues killing your first shredder fast enough, try storm bolt and see if it helps - at least then your guild may then gain some uptime on the encounter beyond the first minute. However, as a few of us have said, it's down to preference.

Deleted
    If its hard to survive 7+ stacks, you can also try our way. You'll endup with maximum of 5 stacks.

Wildfire vs Siegecrafter

I haven't pulled this boss yet but on the topic of using Storm Bolt, wouldn't it be best to equip a 2H before casting it? Preferably your highest damage 2H.

As in, normal sword and board until he goes up into the air, back away and equip your 2H, get the timing right so it hits as he gets the debuff while still having 3 GCDs inside the debuff window.

A simple macro like /cast Storm Bolt /equip sword and shield seems to work on the dummies which would make you equip your sword and shield right after using Storm Bolt while still retaining the 2H damage, with a separate keybind to equip the 2H beforehand. Even though equipping a weapon causes a GCD, it can still be done inside the GCD caused by Storm Bolt.

Unless I am missing something here, I can't see the downside if you do choose to use Storm Bolt and you are not tanking the boss at the time.

However, something comes to mind. If it is not possible to kill him before the 3rd overload without getting very high stacks (I'm hoping someone can tell me it is) but you can still kill him before the 4th with just the bare minimum, adjustments that would make you kill the add faster but weaken you elsewhere become pointless, no?
    Last edited by Cloudwolfe; 2014-02-05 at 12:44 AM.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    After the nerf you can pretty much kill the first Shredder without a sawblade to help you out, so no need for the extra hassle of switching weapons.
    What? Why? When? Who? Which? How? Wait...
    Havoc Demon Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Monolith of Mazes View Post
    Dun dun dunnnnnnnnnn! The thick plottens.