Thread: new pc build

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

new pc build

hey everyone,
    i'm building a new gaming pc, but since this is the first one i'm building i could use some feedback. The build i currently have is:

CPU:
    Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler:
    Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard:
    Asus MAXIMUS VI GENE Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory:
    Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage:
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
    Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card:
    Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card

Case:
    Cooler Master Storm Trooper ATX Full Tower Case

Power Supply:
    Corsair 860W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Optical Drive:
    Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer

Operating System:
    Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit - OEM

the hd's are pretty standard, one SSD for OS and programs, and a SATA for data.

The processor should be sufficient for gaming and along with the cooler are chosen with overclocking in mind. The motherboard should be sufficient for the build and is chosen in part for the red/black color pattern (which most other components have aswell). The memory might be a bit high for gaming but is usefull when i'm doing some other stuff on the computer (running some simulations etc.).

The graphics card should allow me to run current games on best quality but, along with the power supply and motherboard, should allow sli in the future if i need to upgrade.

Finally, the case is chosen because it looks nice and has a very big window on the side. It's also built with some portability for lan parties etc.

Please post any thoughts/questions about the build, all feedback is welcome .

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering the budget of the system and also your future SLI plans, I would go with i7 instead of i5 myself.
    Also that Mobo is just waste of money, but if you pay for looks then it's your choice.
    Personally I have a velociraptor 1TB for storage, I consider it worth the money.
    And that case is also waste of money, but again if you pay for looks :P
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-...-sgc2000kkn1gp looks much better in my opinion for half the price.
    PM me weird stuff :3

Deleted
    ye, i've been doubting between i5 and i7, so i'll see what i'll do. as for the velociraptor, since i also have an ssd i dont realy need a very fast sata. the case is idd personal preference so i think i'll keep that (even though it's a bit overkill). finally for the mobo, i'm not exactly sure what the minimum mobo i need is, so i'm still looking for alternatives. Just need to make sure it looks good aswell since it would suck to build a pc and make it look ugly by mixing different color patterns.

thanks for the feedback though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrops View Post
    Personally I have a velociraptor 1TB for storage, I consider it worth the money.
    For the price of a 1TB Velociraptor you can get a proper SSD and a regular 1TB HDD, a MUCH better combo.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Deleted
    as an alternative for the motherboard i found the MSI Z87-G45 Gaming (pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-z87g45gaming). I think it has all everything i need (LGA 1150, SLI support, decent colors, etc.) with a lower price. What do u guys think? any other good alternatives?

Quote Originally Posted by daelif View Post
    as an alternative for the motherboard i found the MSI Z87-G45 Gaming (pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-z87g45gaming). I think it has all everything i need (LGA 1150, SLI support, decent colors, etc.) with a lower price. What do u guys think? any other good alternatives?
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/M...GAMING/14.html Looks like a decent enough motherboard
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    For the price of a 1TB Velociraptor you can get a proper SSD and a regular 1TB HDD, a MUCH better combo.
    120GB is more than enough of an SSD for me. The velociraptor is for everyday use.

- - - Updated - - -

I had a long post in other thread, were I did some deep comparison of Asus, MSI and Gigabyte motherboards. Those 3 are considered 'top', while Asrock is below all 4, mostly due to build quality. The conclusion was that Asus offers better protection for your parts, while MSI and GB only offer 'better' components.

I've got a 120 SSD and really dislike it. Based on my experience I recommend ~200GB. Between windows and drivers my machine sits at about 70 GB free and something like Battlefield 4 takes 30 gigs which is half my free space. Throw in another 20 GB for which ever MMO is your flavor and your drive is nearly full.

Deleted
    well, while i do intend to overclock a bit, i dont think i'll go for extremes so i'll probably be safe with the MSI one then.
    thx for the feedback though

10+ Year Old Account
    well, while i do intend to overclock a bit, i dont think i'll go for extremes so i'll probably be safe with the MSI one then.
    thx for the feedback though
    It's not about when you overclock, but for when you have electrical problems and things related to that.

It's not about when you overclock, but for when you have electrical problems and things related to that.
    If you have electrical problems the brand of your motherboard will hardly matter, the PSU, a surge protector or a UPS will be the first line in protection if these are the kind of things you deal with.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you have electrical problems the brand of your motherboard will hardly matter, the PSU, a surge protector or a UPS will be the first line in protection if these are the kind of things you deal with.
    What about when you connect too many components and your PSU can't handle them under load, producing shortcircut and the Mobo built-in safeties saves your components?

What about when you connect too many components and your PSU can't handle them under load, producing shortcircut and the Mobo built-in safeties saves your components?
    Why would it produce a short circuit? Any decent PSU that is put on too much load will shut down due to any of the various protections it has, most likely over current protection in this case. Most good PSU also have short circuit protection but you wont get a short circuit from a simple over load.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would it produce a short circuit? Any decent PSU that is put on too much load will shut down due to any of the various protections it has, most likely over current protection in this case. Most good PSU also have short circuit protection but you wont get a short circuit from a simple over load.
    I worded it wrong.
    Anyway, extra protection doesn't hurt, in my opinion.

I worded it wrong.
    Anyway, extra protection doesn't hurt, in my opinion.
    Well extra protection from what? And how is this extra protection working? Is it worth skipping over other features for this so called protection? Are you sure this isn't just a marketing fad? Has this been tested somewhere in a review or is this just some anecdotal thing you picked up somewhere?

Deleted
    well i already have a surge protector and the build has a decent power supply, so power spikes/drops shouldn't be a problem. What kinds of protections does asus offer that can realy damage my components?

10+ Year Old Account
    Well extra protection from what? And how is this extra protection working? Is it worth skipping over other features for this so called protection? Are you sure this isn't just a marketing fad? Has this been tested somewhere in a review or is this just some anecdotal thing you picked up somewhere?
    MSI and GB are the ones who have stuff like "Military class" that only smells nothing but marketing fad. While Asus claims to offer protection from electrical problems. I'm not sure if it's a marketing thing or not and noone was able to give any definitive proof otherwise.
    I'm not sure if there is someone out there doing reviews trying to shortcircuit hardware or otherwise trying to break it to determine if something is just a marketing tool or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Protection" is largely marketing, when stated as "Protection". Probably the most important thing when it comes to overclocking and 'quality' has to do with the quality and material makeup of the capacitors and VRM's, which handle the brunt of electrical conversion and stabilization.

The diffrence between say, the Asus Extreme3 vs Extreme4... The capacitance threshold is a difference of 3500uF to 5000uF respectively. That might not mean anything to most people, but at the same price, or a difference of $10-20, that might be worth it. Other boards use different materials too, Ferrite compound, Iron cores, metal alloys, etc. These things determine the 'quality' of a board.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    well i already have a surge protector and the build has a decent power supply, so power spikes/drops shouldn't be a problem. What kinds of protections does asus offer that can realy damage my components?
    http://www.asus.com/microsite/2013/M.../5Xprotection/
    Ignore the actual series, high end Asus mobos all have the 5Xprotection. The first 3 is what I am talking about.

And cards with z87 chip have also this:
    Overclocking Protection :
    - ASUS C.P.R.(CPU Parameter Recall)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    "Protection" is largely marketing, when stated as "Protection". Probably the most important thing when it comes to overclocking and 'quality' has to do with the quality and material makeup of the capacitors and VRM's, which handle the brunt of electrical conversion and stabilization.

The diffrence between say, the Asus Extreme3 vs Extreme4... The capacitance threshold is a difference of 3500uF to 5000uF respectively. That might not mean anything to most people, but at the same price, or a difference of $10-20, that might be worth it. Other boards use different materials too, Ferrite compound, Iron cores, metal alloys, etc. These things determine the 'quality' of a board.
    Mm yea but I was unable to dig such stuff like you mentioned, so I 'ignored' the quality (basicly people just say MSI/Asus/GB are equally good) and just looked at other differences. While I realize anything can be a marketing tool, considering that those capacitor values mean nothing to me, personally, I go with Asus for the 'extra protection' it provides.

10+ Year Old Account
    MSI and GB are the ones who have stuff like "Military class" that only smells nothing but marketing fad.
    I actually did some research on the "Military Class" thing, and pretty much what it is, is putting their hardware through marginally tougher stress testing to pass certain milspec standards. Some of these may not be difficult, and some boards without the "Military Class" sticker on other brands may already pass them too.

I haven't looked through it all, but this is the specifications for MSI's "Military Class" that it covers, last time I checked. I would call it... half marketing, half truth. Not something to buy a board over. Everyone has their specific 'perks'. It's just like calling an iPad "Retina Display" as if it weren't something other than simply 2048x1536. They could have called it "Super Mega HD iMax Display" and it would still be 2048x1536.

Just the same, the Military Class is just specifications it falls under. I don't know how far ahead they deviate from a non-"Military Class" board. It's entirely possible that ALL boards might pass those standards, but the ones with the sticker get the higher pricetag.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab