Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Care to elaborate how wow is already losing to lol? If even half the subs are considered actual subs from the west and go into the equation with 12*15$ (europeans actually pay more) yearly per player that still leaves us with more than lol, just with the subs. Now they also tripple dip into our pockets with the "box" and the macro transactions (i refuse to call them micro from this point forward). How are they losing exactly?
    Read the quarterly report. The actual numbers from online subscriptions are in there. Revenues from online subscriptions consist of revenues from all World of Warcraft products, including subscriptions, boxed products, expansion packs, licensing royalties, value-added services, and revenues from Call of Duty Elite memberships.

Dungeon Fighter online and World of Tanks may be beating WoW today.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Why should they go F2P and suffer the quality loss just because they make good money from services, pets, and mounts? That's like saying to someone that once they reach a certain level of income they should stop getting paid.
    YOu do realize that is the majority opinion of these forums, to be implemented by heavy taxation, right?

Quote Originally Posted by thelightthatstrays View Post
    Some of the revenue calculations you folks are doing in this thread are hilarious. Please, go check out that quarterly report again.
    Gotta tell ya, I look at that and the numbers posted in that gamespot page think F2P 2014 is exactly where Activision wants to go. A sub based WoW is already losing to LoL, today, and that is only looking worse for the next six months at best.

Let's see what the numbers for the Q4 2013 report look like. I bet it will be crystal clear WoW is dropping the current sub model to everyone in a matter of weeks.
    I'm looking at the third quarter report that was Doktor Faustus linked:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doktor Faustus View Post
    I prefer these reports of (biased) shareholder report.

http://investor.activision.com/secfi...725&CIK=718877
    It clearly states that total subscription revenue for the first three quarters was $714 million. Are you seriously convinced that they can just throw that away because they made $213 million for the entire year from microtransactions? Also, how are they losing to LoL? Last time I checked $714 million over three quarters > $624 million for the entire year. Your reasoning seems flawed to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by CandyCotton Marshmallows View Post
    People need to get over the gear color (and themselves). It doesn't matter, and it shouldn't matter what other players have either. Worry about your damn self. Live your life by that. If you want to concern yourself with someone else, then worry about HELPING them, not putting them down or making sure you stand out as better than them.
    Maybe the game would be better with more low DPS nice guys and fewer high DPS jerks? -- Ghostcrawler, Twitter, 6/29/13

Quote Originally Posted by Dilbon View Post
    3.5 million subs * $15 * 12 = 630 million. 630 + 213 = 843 million. Less than LoL. Although I don't know where the Asian money is, so if it's not included in the 213 million then the sum is obviously bigger.
    For the nine months ended September 2013 Blizzard's online subscription revenue is reported at $714 million it is worth noting that this includes deferred revenue, most likely from MOP box sales, to tune of $110 million. Using the average the three quarters that have been reported so far this would give WOW an annual income of around $952 million, but we will have to wait until next month for the actual figures to be released.

Quote Originally Posted by thelightthatstrays View Post
    Some of the revenue calculations you folks are doing in this thread are hilarious. Please, go check out that quarterly report again.
    Gotta tell ya, I look at that and the numbers posted in that gamespot page think F2P 2014 is exactly where Activision wants to go. A sub based WoW is already losing to LoL, today, and that is only looking worse for the next six months at best.

Let's see what the numbers for the Q4 2013 report look like. I bet it will be crystal clear WoW is dropping the current sub model to everyone in a matter of weeks.
    not 4 month ago they clearly said no to f2p wow. so i would go back to your magicshop and ask a revund for your crystalball. because its not working properly:P

All signs point to WoW going f2p if the online store provides more services and gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronduwil View Post
    I'm looking at the third quarter report that was Doktor Faustus linked:

It clearly states that total subscription revenue for the first three quarters was $714 million. Are you seriously convinced that they can just throw that away because they made $213 million for the entire year from microtransactions? Also, how are they losing to LoL? Last time I checked $714 million over three quarters > $624 million for the entire year. Your reasoning seems flawed to me.
    You need to read more:

Revenues from online subscriptions consist of revenues from all World of Warcraft products, including subscriptions, boxed products, expansion packs, licensing royalties, value-added services, and revenues from Call of Duty Elite memberships.

Like I said in the post above.

I thing they would be wise to put 1month, 3month, 6month game time voucher in the in game store that one could put on the auction house this would help them get sub money from people that may not want to or can't pay for the game but are good gold farmers kind of like the one cub the have for gold to cash conversion.

So, I read through the quarterly reports, and the numbers listed by Gamespot and those listed in the quarterly report are not comparable.

The 624 million dollars made by lol is revenue. I couldn't find any revenue listing in the balance sheet or statement of cash flows. What I did find was net income, which is totally different from revenue.

Revenue is how much money you made.
    Net income is how much money you made after subtracting operating costs.

The 837 million dollars of net income for 3 quarters of 2013 doesn't actually say how much money Acti Blizz makes, it says how much they retained. Theoretically, you could have revenue of 1 billion dollars, but a net income of only 1 dollar if you spent 999,999,999 dollars. Also, that 837 million is for the company, not World of Warcraft.

Without them posting their exact revenue amounts, we can't be sure how much money WoW pulls in pre operating costs, but conventional wisdom says that 7.6*15(12)=1368. In other words, off subs alone WoW has a revenue of ~1,368,000,000 dollars over a 12 month period.

Whoa, SWTOR made 139M from micro-transactions? Holy cow that's hard to believe. They are still chugging along over there.

That's in addition to the subscription fees, which they would be practically throwing away. I doubt it would be profitable for them in their current business model, and it would piss a lot of people off to boot. Free to play is generally done out of desperation, and Blizzard is far from that.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW store purchases arent even microtransactions. That term is used for games where you spend small amounts of money (less than $5 at a time) to nickle and dime you, typically in grinding games like Simpsons Tapped Out and that Smurf game. Spending $20 on a mount is a purchase, not a microtransaction (micro does mean tiny afterall)

Quote Originally Posted by dokilar View Post
    im curious as to why you think that if a game goes f2p that the quality somehow is diminished? ill be "that" guy and say that in my honest opinion since swtor has went f2p the quality really hasnt suffered in the least.
    That's because it couldn't get worse in any way.
    You had to pay to chat in certain channels. And in character creation options are thrown at you that you can't use because you're not paying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Wow Nexon is disgusting $426 million for a game with piss poor customer support( low cost) and they shut it down after making enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    So, I read through the quarterly reports, and the numbers listed by Gamespot and those listed in the quarterly report are not comparable.

The 624 million dollars made by lol is revenue. I couldn't find any revenue listing in the balance sheet or statement of cash flows. What I did find was net income, which is totally different from revenue.

The 837 million dollars of net income for 3 quarters of 2013 doesn't actually say how much money Acti Blizz makes, it says how much they retained. Theoretically, you could have revenue of 1 billion dollars, but a net income of only 1 dollar if you spent 999,999,999 dollars. Also, that 837 million is for the company, not World of Warcraft.

Without them posting their exact revenue amounts, we can't be sure how much money WoW pulls in pre operating costs, but conventional wisdom says that 7.6*15(12)=1368. In other words, off subs alone WoW has a revenue of ~1,368,000,000 dollars over a 12 month period.
    All of the Activision numbers are in the report. You can imagine there must be more, that does not however change reality, which is what is reflected in the report.

Really? I'm really surprised at how many people have never heard of Crossfire. I've been playing it since 2009, really great game. And no, it's NOT a pay to win game. I've made it to the top 1000 players list without paying a dime, though now I spend tons on it for looks.

OT: There is absolutely no reason whatsoever for WoW to go F2P. It has over 7.6 million people who pay 15$ a month, that's ten times more than the next subscription based game.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    WoW store purchases arent even microtransactions.
    This is a pretty shining example of denial.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post

Revenue is income.
    Net income, which will be reported on a Profit and Loss account, is income less tax.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    It has over 7.6 million people who pay 15$ a month,
    This is a pretty persistent myth. However much I'm sure activision wishes it were true, it's not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why the heck would Blizzard want it to go free to play when they gain revenue from both the store and the subscription fee? Doesn't make any sense.