Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Curse Client has become a sad, ad-ridden joke.

When the Client first came out many years ago I was very pleased. It's a nice and easy piece of software that makes managing several addons much more convenient. Unfortunately it seems that lately Curse is more concerned with streaming loud obnoxious ads into my computer. At the very least get some advertisers that have something to do with gaming, not whitening my teeth!

Don't get me wrong, I understand that ads are a necessary evil in order for these guys to get paid. However, when these ads start blasting my speakers when i'm the middle of a game or working on the PC, there's a problem. It's bad enough that the Client barely functions and crashes frequently because it's trying to load up another commercial.

Anyways, /rant.

I don't get it what video ad does curse has, never saw anything like that.

Curse Client has never worked for me. My virus / adblock softwares always reject it. I just manually install add-ons.

Solution #1 - Exit the client after checking for/installing any updates. There is really no reason to leave it running in the background.

Solution #2 - Pay for Curse Premium, which removes the ads (among other benefits). $30/year is honestly nothing when compared to a WoW sub, though I can understand why some people would still not see enough value in that.
    I found I enjoyed the game significantly more when I stopped paying attention to all the people on the forums telling me how much I am supposed to hate it
    All this complaining is simply further proof that Blizzard could send each and every player a real-life wish-granting flying unicorn carrying a solid gold plate of chocolate chip cookies wrapped in hundred dollar bills, and someone would whine that Blizzard sucks for not letting them choose oatmeal raisin.

I don't think I've ever heard an ad, but then again I think I paid them for their premium service. I don't mind paying $10/yr or whatever to avoid pushy ad stuff.

I don't see the problem, because I turn it on to download/update stuff, then close it. I never leave it running for longer than what I need to do that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurbz View Post
    Solution #1 - Exit the client after checking for/installing any updates. There is really no reason to leave it running in the background.

Solution #2 - Pay for Curse Premium, which removes the ads (among other benefits). $30/year is honestly nothing when compared to a WoW sub, though I can understand why some people would still not see enough value in that.
    why yes lets pay them money for other people's addons when they dont want addon creators asking for donations.

Open it, update addons, close it. It doesn't need to run when your computer comes on and doesn't need to run 24/7.
    Jsz
    <Losers Club> US-Alliance

d u m b c a s u a l s l u t

the adds arent a problem for me. and my anti virus has been configged not bug out on it....but... sadly start to disklike it more and more...more and more addons arent supported or dodnt really get the newest version or it doesnt dectect them. according 2 curse all was update when i look it up my self 11 <<<<< 11!!! addons that are on the curse have newer version. so reinstalled the old wowmatrix. and if found 11 updates....sigh...bad curse

After YEARS of installing addons manually, I recently started using Curse Client. The only ad I ever see is the one in the interface, which seems fair enough for a free program that does what it does...it's never bothered me with loud noise.

What ad are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by sizzlinsauce View Post
    why yes lets pay them money for other people's addons when they dont want addon creators asking for donations.
    You're paying for a program that automatically updates your addons, not for the addons themselves. Furthermore, there's a free version.

So... maybe complain about something else?
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

I'm still using Curse CLient and don't even remember seeing a regular ad at all, much less one that includes sound.

uh i use it and never seen any of those adds.. Mine is always running in the back ground, and only ever noticed flash adds for games with no sound.

10+ Year Old Account
    Been using it for years. I only open it after patches or if I know for sure an essential addon needs updating. Download the update, close Curse client. Dont open it again for 3 months.

How is that a bad system?
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

10+ Year Old Account
    I never get any sound. As others pointed out: Just exit after updating. Done.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I too have never had any sound ads over the curse client. It's just simple animated flash type ads. No noise/popups/anything invasive.

So I dunno what kinda curse client you've got, but you'll probably be eating disker/disker64 in short order if your ads are so wildly different from everyone else.

I only ever get the one ad in the corner. It's always just been a silent one, never any audio. And like most have stated you just pop it up when it says it has updates, update, then close. No reason to have it sitting up all the time.

Deleted
    ads are not the problem for me, its just the client has been really slow and crashing a lot, so i stopped using it quite a bit. i pretty much only use it now at major patch releases to quickly update everything. if i want to install just a single addon i do it manually.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurbz View Post

Solution #3 - Download and use WowMatrix. Works just like Curse, can update all addons in once w/o requiring you to pay or register. 100% free. No ads.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincca View Post
    Solution #3 - Download and use WowMatrix. Works just like Curse, can update all addons in once w/o requiring you to pay or register. 100% free. No ads.
    If wowmatrix hadn't been out to rip off curse and wowinterface at the start, then it might have gained a larger following as a legitimate alternative.
    They seem to have cleaned up their act since, but that really did not help their reputation.

No client I have seen offers all the addons I use, since I get them from both curse and wowinterface.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.