Are combat rogues as intimidating to play as they first appear?

I'm not talking about the very basic rotation of course. The only thing there that gives me a bit of pause is how to work in all the ambushes you can in a fight. I'm talking about the huge amount of cooldowns. Looking at it all makes my head spin a little. But sheesh. Shadowstep, adrenaline rush, tricks of the trade, smoke bomb, preparation, killing spree, feint, vanish, redirect, cloak of shadows, and at least always be ready to pop evasion. I'm guessing people just make a macro to always combine adrenaline rush and shadow blades together?

On the surface, it's a bit intimidating trying to digest it. Am I just worrying too much?

All rogues need to worry about Tricks, Smoke Bomb, Prep, Feint etc. The only thing you have to worry about in terms of DPS cooldowns for Combat is Killing Spree and AR/SB macroed together. Combat has essentially 2 cooldowns to worry about which is the same as Assassination (Vendetta/SB). Subtlety on the other hand is a step up in difficulty in terms of managing CDs/timers. In my personal opinion, the hardest part about playing combat is Blade Flurry toggling and the positioning that goes along with it.

Are you talking about PvE or PvP in this post? Because if we're talking PvP, I can totally see why you'd think Combat is intimidating.
    Carp - Illidan-US
    I wish I wish I was a fish.
    My rogue

Combat is one of the easiest specs in game. Keep RvS, SnD and Rupture up, spam SS, Evis when nothing else is close to falling off, and blow CDs as they come up and you'll do 90+% of theoretical dps.

15+ Year Old Account
    After playing sub, I'll never want to go back to combat, it's so dull and slow.

Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    Pretty much this. Go sub, it's what separates the rogues from the fury warriors and ret paladins.

While i agree that Sub is more entertaining and feels way more rogue-ish, if you're playing HC i don't think you want to pass over a very solid spec with huge cleave as combat.

If you do normal you can play whatever you prefer (i played Sub all SoO); if you want high end progression you'll have to put aside the "fun" a little and to look at performance and consistency.

This said, combat requires some micromanagement but it's nothing fancy - though it can make the difference.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

10+ Year Old Account
    Once you get the hang of rogues everything will feel second nature. Instead of thinking about abilities you'll just react. I think rogues have it easy compared to a lot of other classes out there, much less things to bind/worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Conkerzlol View Post
    Once you get the hang of rogues everything will feel second nature. Instead of thinking about abilities you'll just react. I think rogues have it easy compared to a lot of other classes out there, much less things to bind/worry about.
    All ranged dps classes are easier. Off the top of my head all the melees are easier also. Ferals can be tricky but not as hard as sub to play. WoW is an extremely easy game I think apart from high-end healing and arena PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    after they dumbed down sub to a total cant fuck anything up spec (thanks anticipation btw) there is no rogue spec anymore that require any "skill" so for me any spec is dull and slow

Quote Originally Posted by lolpve View Post
    All ranged dps classes are easier. Off the top of my head all the melees are easier also. Ferals can be tricky but not as hard as sub to play. WoW is an extremely easy game I think apart from high-end healing and arena PvP.
    are you serious ? sub is a joke compared to feral
    Last edited by jasdasm; 2014-02-11 at 07:57 PM.

Deleted
    Has subtlety changed much since patch 4.3 btw? It was kinda "fun" to play then.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletroll View Post
    Has subtlety changed much since patch 4.3 btw? It was kinda "fun" to play then.
    yes

/10char

Quote Originally Posted by jasdasm View Post
    after they dumbed down sub to a total cant fuck anything up spec (thanks anticipation btw) there is no rogue spec anymore that require any "skill" so for me any spec is dull and slow

I raid as both feral and sub, and while the advanced feral rotation is harder, it's not by THAT much.

Quote Originally Posted by jasdasm View Post
    Feral isn't difficult in the slightest and the mobility of the spec makes most decision making trivial, I'd put it on a par with Combat for difficulty. What really makes sub difficult, rather than FW management, is using the spec multi-target without losing tons of dps. Granted if you only play sub for patchwerk fights this isn't an issue, but playing sub full time is another step up in difficulty.

10+ Year Old Account
    We've gone way past the question of combat being difficult, and now we're trying to do cross-class comparisons, without anyone really posting information that's relevant for an informed decision.

If you want to know more about druids, please see the druid forum. If you want to know more about a rogue spec, keep reading here. If you're looking for a comparison, try general, but really, most don't care, or would just say "go feral" because it does more single target damage at the top end right now. If any statement in this post is confusing, feel free to PM me.

As for this thread, far past its original intent and off the topic of the rogue forum almost entirely, I'll go ahead and close it.