Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I'd probably quit. I only use UI addons and some stuff like recount/postal and it's the only thing that doesn't make me feel like this game is from 2004 as the graphics ingame aren't too fancy already. Besides that I don't see why they would make the game less user-friendly all of a sudden UI/addon-wise while going the exact opposite way on everything else.

Also, why do some people say 'it would be better' ? So you can slack and don't get seen on recount, you think the game is better without DBM or do you think some people's UI somehow makes the game worse? Would love to know the reasons as I can't seem to think of a logical one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulaco Stormpants View Post
    I cut back on using addons and reset most of my interface settings and keybinds to default a year or two back, because I want to be able to pick up the game anywhere on any computer and be able to play. Not that it happens very often...

I started using addons heavily immediately after I started playing and never played the game the way it's meant to look and feel. It had gone too far when I was locked out of game features because my addons were preventing or hiding them. Now I'm happily down to Tradeskillmaster, Auctionlite, Autovendor and a macro extender. No need for damage meters and boss timers as a casual player.
    Store wow on a thumb drive. Can have your addons everywhere then.
    Aye mate

Deleted
    i would love to see a boss designed if you use this and that addon you get like death touched or something or something like psycho mantis from MSG with the memory card

ontopic: i would only miss DBM, i dont really need any other addon

10+ Year Old Account
    Would still play, but would be annoyed. Not only for losing DBM, but for losing other more important Things such as my UI setup.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    Game would be enjoyable again. To a degree. There is many addons they should still let people have. Like action bars and such. But purely visual addons.

Think of this. If the top guilds had the current dbm in vanilla. There would be no 2 months between world first kills on bosses.
    If we never had a dps meter. We would still have dps classes, class unique abilities and not everything being the same, trying to the exact same dps (which blizz fails terrible at)

dpsmeters is one of the main reasons people act like dicks now days. And should more or less ruined the game
    People act like dicks cause the are dicks...

We had bossmods back in classic (la vendetta BM which became DBM), we had meter addons as far back as beta "Damange Meter" being the popular one. Have the tools become more precise? Most certainly! Is it the reason raids are cleared faster? Probably not, it's more likely a result of better tuning and more loot drops (back in the day you got 2 pieces of loot each boss for 40 raiders).

As for addons that "play the game for you": Decursive used to be a 1 click auto dispell addon, you would be spamming your /decursive macro, no targeting required. There was even an addon which interrupted your heal if your target was above the set threshold.

For the hypothetical situation of blizzard pulling addon support, I'd probably quit unless they are able to provide enough tools to properly manage a raid team, add a cooldown tracker (raid cooldowns/externals) and more reliable tells (I like what they are doing with the boss energy bars).

I wouldn't care to get adjusted to the standard UI. I have so much customization done (even though I do use Elvui+Skullflower import as a base for my UI) that I just couldn't play and still enjoy it. It's a bit sad but that's the way it is. Power of addons is the limitless customization if you got the intrest and motivation for it.

I wouldn't mind losing gameplay helping add-ons.. but UI add ons like bartender or postal or auctionator .... =[[[[[[

Probably quit - the in game interface lacks far too much and is, in my opinion, disgusting to look at comparatively to what you can obtain with addons. Some addons I'd like broken, mostly raiding ones, but the QoL ones are too important to me now.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

i would learn to live without but it would suck

The Lightbringer Archmage Alodi's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    no TSM no sub

Deleted
    They are not gonna drop all addons for sure (be cause they can be good for the game), but they should remove all combat addons. It wouldn't be the first time they "ban" usefull addons that do your work for you. If you can't manage your cooldowns in your head, you dont deserve to use them optimally. If you can't pay attention to your surroundings and the boss while doing max dps you either die or lower your dps. It's like using an item timer or radar in quake, makes bads feel good about themselves.

It's also a myth that the fights are more complicated, they just have more eye candy and reduced server lag allows a bit more dancing around in fights. Also in vanilla and BC there were actually new mechanics in every raid, where as they have now ran out of them and it's much easier today to realize what mechanics they have combined at this boss and what you should be doing. Cba to check precisely, but it propably took more time to find out what four horsemen were doing and kill them, than it took to clear heroic soO.

Deleted
    i'd still play, the only addons i use really are xperl and bartender. i'd probably miss recount and a few others aswell though. if they removed addon support i would hope they update the default unit frames because they are dreadful.

People who can't stand addons are the ones that hate to be called out for their under performing bullshit. Boss mods and other combat log addons are just statistical tools to be able to optimize - giving the game much more depth.

Secondly, I understand that for the average awful player it is a very acceptable to play without any tools and an unclear interface, but for example people who lead raids need those tools to function. Leaders in top guilds barely have time to play their character properly while leading the raid/encounter WITH support addons so just imagine in how much trouble a not-so-good player would be.

Cutting addons would yet again drop the complexity of the game to an all new low.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Strafir View Post
    People who can't stand addons are the ones that hate to be called out for their under performing bullshit. Boss mods and other combat log addons are just statistical tools to be able to optimize - giving the game much more depth.

Secondly, I understand that for the average awful player it is a very acceptable to play without any tools and an unclear interface, but for example people who lead raids need those tools to function. Leaders in top guilds barely have time to play their character properly while leading the raid/encounter WITH support addons so just imagine in how much trouble a not-so-good player would be.

Cutting addons would yet again drop the complexity of the game to an all new low.
    Nice, thanks for the sweeping generalizations and polarization. This discussion really needed the "baddies" argument...
    In reality raiders and leaders in top guilds (note, that doesn't include 11/14 scrub guilds like yours) are probably just fine without addons - they often research their fights on PTR where addon support is fairly broken/non-existent.

But being on topic - the addon community is strong and Blizzard appreciates the work they do - in some cases features have been "adopted" into the standard GUI - it's great that addon writers keep innovating.

It wouldn't affect me too deeply. The biggest adjustment I'd have to make would be lack of DBM. All those alarms/warnings about "[insert big deadly boss attack here] OFF COOLDOWN IN 5 SECONDS!" have probably made me a bit lazy.

Aside from that, I use the default UI and only have addons like AtlasLoot and SexyMap that don't really affect my gameplay. Although, I've watched some of the streams from world-first players who have like 4000 addons and stuff all over the screen, and I imagine it would probably suck for them to lose all that stuff. But yeah, as for me personally, I don't play anywhere near that level.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Killuha View Post
    We had bossmods back in classic (la vendetta BM which became DBM), we had meter addons as far back as beta "Damange Meter" being the popular one. Have the tools become more precise? Most certainly! Is it the reason raids are cleared faster? Probably not, it's more likely a result of better tuning and more loot drops (back in the day you got 2 pieces of loot each boss for 40 raiders).

La Vendetta for example was totally useless for top end progression. It relied on PTR (which most of the hard bosses never saw), or author's guild clearing any particular boss so they could get the information.

Threat management is another skill I would love to get back to wow. Just need to gut tank's threat generation and disable threat meters.

You can counter the absence of server lag by having more good ol' heigan dances in every fight, but modern addons combined with simplified game mechanics just make the game these days a bit too simple for my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamyz View Post
    Nice, thanks for the sweeping generalizations and polarization. This discussion really needed the "baddies" argument...
    In reality raiders and leaders in top guilds (note, that doesn't include 11/14 scrub guilds like yours) are probably just fine without addons - they often research their fights on PTR where addon support is fairly broken/non-existent.
    There really isn't any other way to say it. Someone who doesn't understand the purpose of boss mods and combat log recorders simply hasn't played the game on a level where optimization becomes a necessity, which makes their opinion white noise. I find it hilarious how you can have the indecency to talk about something you have no absolutely experience about, because addons and recording combat logs is the main reason why taking tons of pulls on bosses on the PTR is a good idea, because you can analyze it afterwards via the logs and draw conclusions on timers which then get hard coded into boss mods.

Of course blizzard appreciates people who create and share solutions and workarounds to interface issues and the general fluidity of the game.

PS. You should probably check wowprogress before making statements about guilds like that.
    Last edited by Strafir; 2014-01-23 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigToast View Post
    Which is exactly why the 3rd party parser is great. You and your raid team get on Parsec and that's it; no epeeners linking dps meters in random flashpoints and whatnot. It's simply a tool to make you and your raid team better.
    Maybe for guild groups. Since I do only PUGs, its useless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelly View Post
    No more DBM, no more custom interface, no more recount or SKADA.

Nothing.

Only thing replaced being the ability to customize your interface a bit but still within the confines of WoW's default.

Would you continue to play?

Could you continue to play?
    The addons are mostly comfort of living, aside from OQueue (which apparently just caused a shitload of bans - 6 people I know poofed) and I'd have to redo my bindings, like I don't have purges etc bound due to recursive and I really think the main issue would be those times when the boss does something and you need to react to it - when you are on adds as an example, but things like that are really easy to handle, since the raid leader (usually main tank) should be calling shit like that out on Vent anyways.

I don't feel like it'd be an issue, but whenever I see my brother on his unmodded computer, I ALWAYS say "ew", so it'd probably more horrible when I actually got in to play.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Strafir View Post
    There really isn't any other way to say it. Someone who doesn't understand the purpose of boss mods and combat log recorders simply hasn't played the game on a level where optimization becomes a necessity, which makes their opinion white noise. I find it hilarious how you can have the indecency to talk about something you have no absolutely experience about, because addons and recording combat logs is the main reason why taking tons of pulls on bosses on the PTR is a good idea, because you can analyze it afterwards via the logs and draw conclusions on timers which then get hard coded into boss mods.

Of course blizzard appreciates people who create and share solutions and workarounds to interface issues and the general fluidity of the game.

PS. You should probably check wowprogress before making statements about guilds like that.

You didn't need in-combat addons to parse combatlogs in vanilla and you dont need them now, they just make life easier for less talented and lazy players.

Look at Formula 1 for example, they could and have done all sorts of technical gadgets and solutions so that the car is easier and more fluid to drive and gives you more data all the time, except they had and most likely still have to roll those back, as they are taking away from driver skills needed to compete. Now you have all sorts of sponsorship drivers who can't drive their way out of a paper bag but the tehcnology in the car lets them do it anyway.